Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Dropped bike 2008 cbr fix it or no

4K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  FightingChance 
#1 ·
So I just got a CBR 600 rr 2008 this thing was so beautiful. After One week of riding it I put it down in a gas station. I balanced first gear with too much power and I slipped on the overflow of gas at the gas station

This is my first bike first season and first time riding ever.

I got comprehensive insurance and I have learned my lesson. What should I do fix it after the season or just fix it so I dont have to look at the nasty rashes?

I'm a heartbroken noob who has worked to hard to get his bike of choice. I dont know what to do please advise Im sure someone has been through a scenario similar.

Ps I used the search button Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

I'm an open book now I lost all my confidence

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Look right off the batt do not think of the what ifs ok accidents happen we all had them .Yours is actually one of the best ones yes best ones why you were alone with the bike no Cars , trucks , animals are any stationery objects but the ground that in itself is a blessing in disguise believe me when I say this .

Got to move on man keep riding nothing is worse than feàr except not facing such fear that is the only way to get your confidence back ride ride and then ride some more . For the time being do not worry about making the bike pretty as long as its safe and functional take adavantage of the situation and ride to practice it's already banged up I know looks ugly way better then you looking ugly cause your body is beat up if you can not stand it in that case take all the broken stuff off and ride it street fighter style no biggie some members spend money to get to that street fighter look in your case you do not have to your there already .

Again its part of learning to ride like i said before we all been there experience or not accidents happen In a few month after you gained some more experience get the bike fixed you will thank me later .

Reactions: RR2D2
#5 ·
Bless you both for your input. I have to get back on the bike this much I know. Just like the rest of you I have worked really hard for my bike and only want the best for it.

Im at work right now and I will post more pics of the damage later on around 6PM chicago time. Good thing is its all on the left side so nothing major got scratched like the clutch case.

Im going to get sliders for sure and the streetfighter thing is debatable. Im just going to use some contraption to rig it back together and get on it.

I have MSF in two weeks.

I have not taken anyones advice for granted. I have just been doing research and feel it is best to ride the bike out until the season is over or for a month if I cannot stand looking at it.

Im just heart broken as you all can imagine. Im older and didnt think that that I would do something liket that. 1st gear got me. Sad thing is I used to drift a two forty so the concept of a clutch is not strange. But is strange with my hands and not my feet.

I rode for a week straight just stalling out of first here and there. But this was unexpected.

#7 ·
As long as nothing mechanically is broken keep on riding. If it makes you feel any better, I stalled my bike 3 times last Sunday haha. Once was a complete accident and I bumped the shift lever with my leg while sitting at a stop light

#11 ·
See that was my problem no confidence in first gear and I let it get me.... Moving forward I'm going to fix her up and get on it. ( not replacing anything yet)

Doesn't that bother you stalling like that. Makes me lose confidence

Nope, I just laugh it off. It's part of getting the feel for your bike. Every bike uses a different feel for the clutch. I stalled my bike probably a dozen times on my test ride, and it was only about 2 miles long haha. You just have to brush it off and keep going

#10 ·
it is for sure hard to see your bike rashed up, i know :banghead: but hopefully that incident will give you enough to think about and not take the bike for granted down the road.... the MSF course is a GREAT thing you're doing and just take it slow, even taking the bike to a parking lot (empty one) and trying to learn that way will bust up your skills and confidence... in any case, good luck on your MSF course :thumbup: --- and i think depending on how bad the rash is i would leave for now until you are more confident and comfortable on the bike.... and look at it this way, there are 2 type of riders, ones that have already been down and ones that will eventually go down, you already got that one behind you :shakehand

#13 ·
Don't feel too bad - it'll be the first mod you do at the end of the season.

I bought a CB400 for my first bike to learn on. I rode it for nearly a year and never put a scratch on it. Once I felt confident on the roads, I decided it was time to get what a really wanted, a CBR600RR. When I finally did, I dropped it on the first day stopping and put a little scratch on it - I'm short and lost my balance after stalling it - wasn't used to the higher idle speed. Ironically, that scratch released me from worrying about whatever else was to come. Nothing else bad ever happened.

#14 ·
Thats how I feel as well Kali_Cbr600rr I hope that I have gotten my one fall out of the way. But to play it safe im not going to fix anything on the bike yet besides just trying to get the left fairing back in bracket.

I need to find a pair of decent looking frame sliders and get to it. I jsut want to be comfortable with my bike.

The first day I got it I talked to it for two hour and named it "Cookie." and promised I would never drop her.

I need to make promisses I can keep.

I promised myself to progress cautiously.

As a new member I listen to everything you guys have been saying and doing my own research.

One love for all your help guys you have been making my stay at 600rr amazing and have already met some great people in my area.

#15 ·
Frame sliders aren't meant/designed to protect the fairings. Sometimes they do keep the fairings from getting scratched up as an added bonus, but in reality they are designed to do exactly what their name says "protect the frame".

There are 2 types of frame sliders: "cut" and "no cut". You are free to choose whichever style you'd like, however I (along with many, many others on here) would recommend you get the "cut" sliders. Sure, having to cut 2 holes in your fairings is scary, but it's so worth it in the end an you will have an overall better product on your bike. The no-cut sliders are nice because they keep you from putting any holes in your bodywork, HOWEVER they have a tendency to tweak, twist, crack, break, etc. the frame if the bike ever goes down with any speed, which in turn will total a bike out.

With the "cuts" a majority of the time they will do their job and save the frame from damage, thus you could rebuild the bike yourself and not have to make an insurance claim if you didn't want to.

There are a couple popular brands you could choose from. Please, please, please pick a quality slider and not the eBay special!!! I personally have Woodcraft sliders and I absolutely love them!

#21 ·
Not too bad, get some touch up paint and I would not worry about the rest, and yeah sliders for sure, I myself sport the railz on mine and you can see in the pics, did the job intended...

...and a close-up

#22 ·
My advice don't fix it. It's inevitable that you'll experience many more of this. I'm not jinxing you but it's the fact. I still drop my bike after 5+ years of riding. It's not because I forgot to put down my kickstand but because of other drivers. They'll be the reason for most of the rashes. I wouldn't throw money into something that depreciates with time. Mind you, that I dropped my newly purchased bike after I handed the cash over and after having to repair and repaint it. Watch the Gixxer guy who bought the bike and drove off at the dealer so you wouldn't feel so bad.

#25 ·
Looks like u didn't have to cut your fairings I'm interested in that type of frame sliders. Nice bike man =)
Well, I did have to cut on the other side as well as drill a bit for the rod to go thru from one side to the other, you can find a link to the write up in my build thread, in any case I'm not sure if these guys are still in business, their customer service sucked big balls so maybe someone else could direct you to other companies, sure they would have such info in the stunt section if non see this here.... And thanks :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.