Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Maximum horsepower engine?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mran556 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I've got an 00 F4 right now while I'm in college but I'm looking to build a bike in a year after I'm done with school not only to walk on my buddies 600's but hopefully do track days with eventually. My question was what year motors put out the highest hp/maximum power for the rev each ranges? I know that with extra emissions regulations there often comes a drop in power with the bikes made after that. I plan on doing full exhaust, power commander and all that happy stuff plus maybe a little bit of motor work too.

#6 ·
Lol I have been trying to learn all that I can while on the f4 but it's got 45k on the odometer so it'll be time for a new one pretty soon. And if I'm going to go to a track to learn how to ride better, I might as well have a better bike, even though it would be hilarious to pass them on a 18 year old bike by that point in time.

#8 ·
Having an old bike should give you more motivation to ride faster. You wont have the fear of damaging "your new baby" You can dog the crap outta that bike without having any problems...

And if you do have a spill its not the end of the world just patch her up and keep trying to better yourself...

#10 · (Edited)
If all you're trying to do is smoke your buddies it's not hard and it doesn't need to be expensive either. 99.99% of riders with 600's will have stock gearing in them. This make them really easy targets that are ripe for the picking.

Assuming you're not typically racing over 200 KPH then just spend $30 on a 14 tooth sprocket. You'll be the fastest thing on the road up to 200 KPH. The acceleration rate will really freak you out....So will the wheelies etc.

I went up to a 15 tooth on the front because I was loosing my peripheral vision under WOT with the 14 tooth on the front and +3 on the rear.....That's right, tunnel vision was becoming a problem (at 46 years old)

If you really want to have some fun at your friends expense wait until they spend several thousand dollars on a glorified fart-muffler. No doubt they will want to go for a ride with you to show off how much 'faster' the bike is with that 3 or 4 extra HP :smile2: Just be sure to arrange the ride such that you have enough time to surreptitiously install your $30 -2 front sprocket 0:)

Then you can decimate the poor bastard and have more then enough money left to buy him a consolation beer :crying: He won't be able to buy one because he just dropped +$2K on exhaust :laugh:

I'm always amazed by how much money people spend on accessories but they will not drop $100 on a series of sprockets just to try them out and see what they do for themselves. I've got a 14, 15 & 16 and if I could get one, I'd buy a 13 as well. It's a 10 minute job to change one out and see what it does and at $30 - it's no risk.

Keep in mind, all those quarter mile times that bike magazines have for this bike are done on stock bikes (!!) You can make the bike accelerate a hell of a lot faster then that with just with a simple gearing change.

Believe me, it's worth putting a 14 tooth sprocket in even if it's just for an hour of fun on the freeway on-ramp. I used to laugh out loud every time I nailed in in second and power shifted it up to terminal velocity at WOT the entire time. Just make sure there's nothing in front of you because it won't matter how fast it's going - you'll be able to catch up to it and even drive your bike right through it in no time flat.....

#11 ·
I don't really understand the question... are you trying to swap the engine out of your bike to a bigger one to beat people, or are you really asking for the fastest bike out there around the track? If the latter, then that's a difficult question to answer because every track is different, big tracks will be liter bikes, small tight tracks will be 600's.

I think a BMWS1000RR would be a great bike for a big track. The R6 is a popular option for the 600 class, but the 600rr is just as good as well.

As others have said, power doesn't mean anything, unless you are already taking your bike to it's limits then more power will only get you into trouble and empty your wallet. My advice is just to keep the F4i (47k miles on her is a joke, we have someone here with 280k miles and he does track days with it as well!). Take the F4i to the track and if you crash or whatever, then who cares? It's only worth about $2-3k anyway so it's a drop in the bucket, and then you'll have a good excuse to go bike shopping :)

#12 ·
1299 or pani s.

Stop this honda foolishness

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.