Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

15 CBR600RR road racer

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  The Volta 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I live in Victoria, BC and road race my CBR600RR down in WA state. Great bike. A nice alternative to the many R6's out on the track !

I am interested in hearing more about engine / performance mods.

Currently my 600RR is running full K-tech suspension, full Akrapovic, PC-V, and Dunlop N-Tec on Carrozzeria wheels. Armor Bodies fairings. Woodcraft rearsets and vortex clip ons. GB Racing covers. All in all a tidy little race bike.

In case you're wondering, the K-Tech transformed the bike from "ok" on the track to "omg it's the best bike in the universe". Incredible feedback and just happily let's you drag a knee around corners with zero fuss. Worth every penny. No, I'm not sponsored by K-Tech. Maybe I should call them.

Other rides include
2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye
2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF
2004 Honda RC51 Hayden
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS
1983 Honda CB750F Freddie Spencer race rep
2015 KTM 350 EXC-F (get a dirt bike, they said. It would be fun, they said). Most terrifying bike I've ever owned!!

Thanks for reading!
Mark
"TheBotsy"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
That Nighthawk is sick as hell.

For further power mods, research the 'HRC Power Up Kit' for the 600RR for a list of what they change. I think the kit increases power without too much in the way of reduced longevity, so it's sort of a baseline tune. Of course internal engine mods may change which race classes the bike is eligible for. Generally it seems that 600RR engines can't match the R6 engine in power but explode much less frequently.

#6 ·
Start with simple top end mods like thinner head gasket, milled head, degree the stock cams & gasflowed ports, add an HRC ECU, wiring harness then tune the fuel map & you'll be good to go.

Reactions: TheBotsy
#7 ·
That's some sweet rides mate! Yes, definitely what @OveRReV said - has a plethora of information regarding tracking.

#10 ·
I'm going to extremes trying to close the gap in power to the R6, i've built a superbike spec 06 R6 & it leaves me behind on corner exits & straights, gathered some high $ stuff like lightened crank, race generator, 13.5 pistons, carrillo rods & carbonfiber wheels in an attempt to match or exceed it. My obsession with the 600RR is bankrupting me. ?

#11 ·
What pistons did you go with? JE oe Wiseco? That is what i was going to look into next. As well as getting the cylinders redone with nickle silicon as the oem are supposed to be pretty crappy. Rod and was also thinking of balancing the crank and lightening. Not sure about the crank tho.
Maybe shave the head a touch more but i am pretty close to maxed out there.

#12 ·
Got JE's from Orient Express as they're the only better pistons i could find short of having custom made by CP, would've went with Wossner or Mahle if they made it for the 600RR.

Lightening & balancing the crank would be a better bang for the buck than buying a race generator kit but i wanted to be different so i got it anyway, revs quicker & handling became lighter because of reduced gyro, downside is it just barely charges the lithium battery i'm running, gotta plug it to a charger between sessions or you'll run out of juice. Maybe i need to take out my Wideband 2 & POD300 after i do more data logging, it probably contributes to the drain on the system.

HRC manual says to shave off .006" from the head for the 07-up 600RR, on my 05 engine some tuners did a max of .012" but so far i took off .010" from mine & ran a Cometic .018" head gasket, my squish is down to .70mm at the moment but i couldn't find the time to strip the bottom end & mill the case deck to get .60 to .62mm, i'll do that on the other engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.