Fram oil filter number?? - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
TRUTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Fram oil filter number??

Hey guys,
I looked in the Fram book at my local store and the 03 600 RR wasn't listed. I was wondering if anyone knew the number for the Fram oil filter for the 03? Thanks, Frank R.

2003 600RR-Jardine RT-1, PC III,520 Conversion
(more to come!)

2006 Polaris IQ440

1998 FZR600--FOR SALE
TRUTH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Knightslugger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'll be polite. Don't use a Fram filter. Put the book down and grab a Pureolator PureONE Filter, PL14612 or PL14610 (which is a touch longer but will clear stock exhaust manifolds).

If you get the PL14610, grab the Gold colored one with the grippy stuff on the can. They even have a rebate program, you get $2 back on your purchase of 1 PureONE oil filter.

Oh look at that, a wisconsinite! ha!

wow look at that... 10k posts... holy sh*t.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 403
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUTH View Post
Hey guys,
I looked in the Fram book at my local store and the 03 600 RR wasn't listed. I was wondering if anyone knew the number for the Fram oil filter for the 03? Thanks, Frank R.
Fram PH6607 I use the same filter works great. I am in need of an oil change as well.

01-06 F4i
03-08 600RR
datnguyen24 is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 228
Images: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
K&N 204. K&N filters have the 17mm nut attached for easy removal.
ww73 is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
TRUTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey guys,
Thanks for the help. I always ran K&N in my 450 MXer. I went ahead and picked up the pureolater pl 14612. I will use a K&N for my next change. Thanks guys! Frank R.

2003 600RR-Jardine RT-1, PC III,520 Conversion
(more to come!)

2006 Polaris IQ440

1998 FZR600--FOR SALE
TRUTH is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
either that pure
or the mobil m108
hell even the plain oem filter is better than a fram

do a search on the internet for motorcycle oil filter reviews

Fram is noted for the famous quote
"this is an example of how not to build a filter"
RShackleford is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
ferax5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 796
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used the Mobil 1-m108 filter for my first oil change. Didn't hear any bad things about it and my bike didn't explode, so I'm assuming it is working well.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR Pearl Orange
2006 Kawasaki EX 250
ferax5 is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 261
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fram filters are garbage. I usually run a Wix oil filter in everything I own, but I do have a K&N on my bike. The attached nut is very handy for removing the oil filter. No more screw driver and hammer removals.
teamgreen02 is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
frams are junk period.

mobil is made by champ so any of the champ sister companies are good also (bosch, champ, mopar, supertech)

purulator are good also

wix is good

any of these three anything else is pretty much junk

now take in mind on what other filters these companies make
grindpunk16 is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Amsoil Dealer Group's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What oil filter feature do you look for when buying an oil filter? Is it micron level, length of service, can thickness, type of material of the anti-drain back valve, PSID setting of the internal by-pass valve, nut on the end for removal, anti bursting pressure, color of can or what?
george
ADG
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
em2b96p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Selinsgrove Pa
Posts: 972
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by datnguyen24 View Post
Fram PH6607 I use the same filter works great. I am in need of an oil change as well.

01-06 F4i
03-08 600RR
agreed! i use the same filter number 6607. its also the same filter as my 2002 civic EX.

20k miles and 0 problems
em2b96p is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
What oil filter feature do you look for when buying an oil filter? Is it micron level, length of service, can thickness, type of material of the anti-drain back valve, PSID setting of the internal by-pass valve, nut on the end for removal, anti bursting pressure, color of can or what?
george
ADG
i look for the one that has been recommended by people that have cut them open and looked at what is inside.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

some quotes from above

amsoil-a flawed superior filter
Fram-cardboard
K&N-average filter with a 6$ nut on the end
mobil m108-nice filter media but not much of it, smaller unit (so it goes well behind headers)
Pure One PL14610- an example of fiters should be made

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/
quotes from this one
If anything, the Fram will show you how NOT to build a high performance oil filter

The Amsoil filter internally looks very similar to the Wix filter, but they are not the same. Semi-O ring gasket, well cut threads with no apparent burrs.

honda oem
This is how a high-performance oil filter should be built.

K&N
This could be my new favorite filter

mobil 1
This is a well-constructed filter, which Mobil 1 touts as having 98% single-pass particle filtration at 10 to 20 microns, and multiple-pass efficiency of 95% (vs. 80% for the average filter).
RShackleford is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
ferax5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 796
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the links RShackleford. Looks like I'll be trying out the Pure One filter next. Half the price of Mobil 1 too. Sweet.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR Pearl Orange
2006 Kawasaki EX 250
ferax5 is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Knightslugger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferax5 View Post
Thanks for the links RShackleford. Looks like I'll be trying out the Pure One filter next. Half the price of Mobil 1 too. Sweet.
more than half! Check it out!

http://www.pureoil.com/documents/reb...ebate_form.pdf
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Amsoil Dealer Group's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShackleford View Post
i look for the one that has been recommended by people that have cut them open and looked at what is inside.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

some quotes from above

amsoil-a flawed superior filter
Fram-cardboard
K&N-average filter with a 6$ nut on the end
mobil m108-nice filter media but not much of it, smaller unit (so it goes well behind headers)
Pure One PL14610- an example of fiters should be made

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/
quotes from this one
If anything, the Fram will show you how NOT to build a high performance oil filter

The Amsoil filter internally looks very similar to the Wix filter, but they are not the same. Semi-O ring gasket, well cut threads with no apparent burrs.

honda oem
This is how a high-performance oil filter should be built.

K&N
This could be my new favorite filter

mobil 1
This is a well-constructed filter, which Mobil 1 touts as having 98% single-pass particle filtration at 10 to 20 microns, and multiple-pass efficiency of 95% (vs. 80% for the average filter).
The test on the Amsoil one is of the older version. There is no filters on the market that look like an Amsoil nano fiber filter. I cut many filters apart over the last 27 years and other than construction you can not tell how good a filter will perform while in service with the naked eye.
george
ADG
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
The test on the Amsoil one is of the older version. There is no filters on the market that look like an Amsoil nano fiber filter. I cut many filters apart over the last 27 years and other than construction you can not tell how good a filter will perform while in service with the naked eye.
george
ADG

so which one do you recommend ( i wonder)
RShackleford is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
ferax5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 796
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I ordered some Pure One filters (PL14612) on Amazon. $9.88 for a two pack. Free shipping if you spend $25+.
$2.94 per filter after rebate.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR Pearl Orange
2006 Kawasaki EX 250
ferax5 is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
crvlvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 639
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use nothing but OEM filters. Its just not worth trying to save a few bucks on one of the most important parts of your bike.

All filters have an excess pressure relief valve. as you engine revs and the pressure within the filter increases (due to a largeer volume of oil flowing through it), the relief valve inside the filter opens up allowing UNFILTERED oil to return to the engine. So, althogh the filter may "seem" to be working, it is not filtering any oil when the relief valve opens. you might aswell be throwing the money you spend on substandard filters in the trash can.
crvlvr is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Knightslugger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
^ all true if the relief valve psi's are different...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are Honda Civic Filters the same as Honda OEM '07 RR filters ?
Just wondering , cuz the Civic filters are not too overpriced.
bare is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvlvr View Post
I use nothing but OEM filters. Its just not worth trying to save a few bucks on one of the most important parts of your bike.

All filters have an excess pressure relief valve. as you engine revs and the pressure within the filter increases (due to a largeer volume of oil flowing through it), the relief valve inside the filter opens up allowing UNFILTERED oil to return to the engine. So, althogh the filter may "seem" to be working, it is not filtering any oil when the relief valve opens. you might aswell be throwing the money you spend on substandard filters in the trash can.
you do realize that the relief valve only comes on if the filter gets clogged.
the substandard filter is the honda that opens at a lower oil psi than the mobil.

even unfiltered oil is better than no oil

the mobil m108 relief valve opens when the engine oil pressure gets down to 17psi

the honda oil filter wont open until the oil pressure gets down to 8psi

do some research

Use the search, it wont bite you.
RShackleford is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bare View Post
Are Honda Civic Filters the same as Honda OEM '07 RR filters ?
Just wondering , cuz the Civic filters are not too overpriced.
what does this have to do with anything other than trying to get a post count up

Use the search, it wont bite you.
RShackleford is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Amsoil Dealer Group's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This copied from the 1000rr site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goracer
Is this a car filter or motorcycle as I can not find any Purolator motorcycle filter for any Honda newer then the 959?



(Quote) This is what I got from emailing the Purolator website contact: (Quote)

Unfortunately we do not manufacture PureOne oil filters for motorcycles. We do have a separate line of motorcycle filters that are equivalent to the OE filter. Your bike will take the ML16817. The PureOne has never been tested on bikes because of the restriction of oil flow. Therefore no warranty will be provided on it.



Kempf Stark
Technical Assistance Specialist
Filtration
Robert Bosch LLC
Purolator Division
800.526.4250

Last edited by Amsoil Dealer Group; 05-23-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
well duh of course they are going to tell you that it wont work
that is called product liability

Use the search, it wont bite you.
RShackleford is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Knee Dragger
 
tylerjoe167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hockley, TX
Posts: 121
Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have found luck with the fram and K&n, some people have to use several different brands until they find one that works best for them
tylerjoe167 is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Juzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Townsville, Queensland
Posts: 539
Thanks: 17
Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do it right, buy an OEM one. :)

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Current: 2003 CBR600RR - Fuelly
Sold: 2012 CBR250R

Mods: white / blue pearl paint, progrip pro 724 superbike soft grip (black/blue),
mirrors / integrated indicators, flush mount indicators, black shorty levers,
black bar ends "RR", black windscreen, black engine casing (painted)
Juzman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome