Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

First Oil Change - What weight should I use?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  OveRReV 
#1 ·
Guys/Gals im about to the first oil change on my 08CBR600RR. I was wondering if I should go with a 5w-30 versus the 10w-40? I live in Colorado and as some of you may know, it gets cold out(Its a nice 30 degrees right now and im about to leave for work on my bike).

I do have another question as well. What brand of oil filter do you all recommend? Im not sure if asking this question is the same as asking what brand of oil you recommend. Im just curious if there is brand that I SHOULDN'T buy.

Thanks in advance!
Dizzymagoo

#7 ·
You can use automotive oils but you have to make sure it DOES NOT have any friction modifiers in it. For example I (along with many others on here) use Rotella T6 10W40 which is an oil for diesel truck motors. As far as a filter, right now I have a Honda filter on my bike but am most likely going to switch to a K&N filter since my fat hands have a tough time reaching in to loosen the filter. The K&N filters have a nut on them so you can loosen them with a wrench.

Sent while traveling the world

#13 ·
i used Maxima 530RR (5W30) fully synthetic racing oil in my track bike & will be changing it every 1K kms, i use hiflofiltro 204 oil filter as oem honda oil filters are hard to find here.

nothing wrong in using thinner viscosity oil especially in colder climates, the engine works less in pumping thinner oil inside & you free up a bit of hp in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.