Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Confused ( Maybe to much oil )

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  OzMoto 
#1 ·
When my bike is cold & on stands,my oil window reads over.The whole window is full.But,when I start my bike up & let it run for a few mins,it then reads exactly where it's suppose to be when reading at the upper marker.I've been riding my bike & it doesn't seem to be affecting the bike,so I'm confused whether I should drain it when I have it on stands or just leave it.I only have the month of Sept. & maybe a couple of weeks in Oct.to ride.then I'm gonna put the bike in storage.Help me out here fella's.My 600RR is a 2007 & I'm def not gonna sell it.I can't believe Honda is gonna stop making these great bikes.Thanks in advance.I do hope that this website stays b/c I get a lot of helpful info here.Be easy y'all.

#2 ·
In order to read the oil level correctly, bike must be off and in straight position.

The lecture given on the stands is good.

An engine is never gonna be able to tell you how much oil it has while running... Try starting your engine while on the stands, check the oil window... You will see the level go down as the pump sucks it... So, no possible reading.

Best "solo way" and no stands I found is straigthen the bike a shoot a pic with the cellphone (with flash!)... If you are long enough or flexible you can even do this while on the bike...

#3 · (Edited)
in my humble opinion, i think your bike is fine. if youre ocd and it bothers you that much. i would suggest letting the bike sit level on bike stands til the oil window is filled, then while the bike is on bike stands and level, crack the oil drain plug slightly loose enough to slowly drain oil out. drain it out and watch the oil level reach the point to where youre satisfied with the level. then go ride til its time for storage.

and for storage, i wouldnt drain all the oil out. leave it in there. then if you want, change to fresh oil when the riding season comes back.

#4 ·
Its slightly overfull. Pull the drain bolt for about 1/2second and you'll be at the correct level or really close. Cruising won't hurt anything but a trackday might if its over filled enough.

#5 ·
If it's over, it's probably not by very much, and there is a crankcase breather so I doubt a lot of pressure will build up...when you go to change the oil and filter next time, take a look at the owner's manual and basically measure out the amount of oil being filled to avoid this happening again.

#10 ·
If it's over, it's probably not by very much, and there is a crankcase breather so I doubt a lot of pressure will build up
Thats not the problem. The problem is the crankshaft smashing into the oil over and over as it rotates, creating foam which will eventually starve the motor of oil.

Reactions: dixon cider
#6 ·
This is covered nicely in the owner's manual. The bike is supposed to be run until warm and then shut off for 3 minutes. You then check the level with the bike on the ground (no stands) with it standing upright.

You can do this easily by grabbing the throttle end of the bar and squeezing the brake lever to keep the bike from moving. Then reference off of the rear seat and pull the bike towards you off the side stand until the bike is level. Then look at the window and it should be filled to the top mark. Rinse and repeat as necessary :smile2:

When mine is on the rear track stand, and it's fully filled, the site glass shows nothing. This would probably vary depending on how high each stand raises the bike or the slope of your floor etc.

This is why the OE way to do it is with the bike upright, no stands, and then look at the window. The reason why they say to wait 3 minutes is because they want the oil that is trapped in the head and other areas of the engine to drain down into the crankcase - otherwise you would get a false low reading...and over-fill the engine.

#7 ·
This is covered nicely in the owner's manual. The bike is supposed to be run until warm and then shut off for 3 minutes. You then check the level with the bike on the ground (no stands) with it standing upright.

You can do this easily by grabbing the throttle end of the bar and squeezing the brake lever to keep the bike from moving. Then reference off of the rear seat and pull the bike towards you off the side stand until the bike is level. Then look at the window and it should be filled to the top mark. Rinse and repeat as necessary

When mine is on the rear track stand, and it's fully filled, the site glass shows nothing. This would probably vary depending on how high each stand raises the bike or the slope of your floor etc.

This is why the OE way to do it is with the bike upright, no stands, and then look at the window. The reason why they say to wait 3 minutes is because they want the oil that is trapped in the head and other areas of the engine to drain down into the crankcase - otherwise you would get a false low reading...and over-fill the engine.
I think he said he has front and rear stands, if the front lifts at the forks that could be really close; my Pit Bull stands would level my bike perfectly...I checked it with a level app once.

#8 ·
cbrkat28..yes sir,I have the triple tree stands.I did use a level while the bike was on the stands & it's pretty much level.So after I start my bike up & let it run for 2 or 3 mins..the oil level is right where it's suppose to be.Only when it's cold does it reads that it's over.I really appreciate everyone giving me some feedback.

#13 ·
I've always used front/rear stands and it holds the bike level. Works a treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.