Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Need advice from people who had this issue please!!

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Noobstar 
#1 ·
ok so here's what happens (2004 cbr 600rr) when i start my bike i have no issues, when the bike warms up the oil light turns on and stays on. Now its at the shop and they did a oil pressure test when that light turns on, they are saying at idle 6 psi (i know thats horrible) and at 7k rpms (25 -28 psi, also horrible) now the shop is saying they believe its the oil pump, but i would like to hear from someone who may have had this problem! again after the bike warms up, the oil light stays on no matter the rpm's!

#3 ·
Thanks

i never thought i'd say this, but thats what im hoping, it was just weird to me that the oil light doesnt turn on immediately if its a bad oil pump, but the shop did explain to me why. it does have 30k miles on it lol, previous owner did NOT take good care of it at all. ive already got 1,000 into repairs on this thing :( but we live and we learn.

#4 ·
It seems like a pretty clear cut case of bad oil pump to me. Not gonna hear from many people with the same issues, its not common at all.

Reactions: dixon cider
#5 ·
Yup, not much more to add there. If you're concerned they are scamming you, ask to see the pump now and say you want the parts when they are done. You should be able to see where it's worn down or what's failed. The shop should be able to show you as well.

Good luck; as stated it's not a common failure. Sounds like your bike was beat at one point in its life.

Reactions: dixon cider
#7 · (Edited)
ok everyone so just a follow up, this ride has been pretty scary for me, so ill try to explain this the best that i can

So the shop called me on saturday and said the oil pump is good, the pressure relief valve is good, they told me they will know more monday( that's today! ) but did warn me saturday that its possible that the rod bearings could be spun (that would be awful!). They called me back today and said the pickup tube was completely clogged up with gunk and debris from the damn cam chain guides. They said that there is no guarantees that this will be the fix (a good brake cleaning clean up job to make the pickup tube look and perform like new again) but they are fairly confident that this is the culprit. I will try and post a video and see how it goes!

https://youtu.be/T1tKW5t1-hw

#8 ·
ok everyone! this issue has been solved (so far, knock on wood) $1,033 later this issue has been resolved, what the cause ended up being was... the cam chain guides had shredded themselves apart, because the previous owner did not maintain the bike at ALL! and the "plastic debris" ended up in the OIL PICK UP TUBE blocking the oil flow! the shop put it all back together, put a oil pressure gauge on it for 20 minutes and it now maintains 75 psi at 7k rpms after being warmed up to operating temperature. so let me try and give you all the best advice i can from my own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. if your're hearing a "rattling" under your right side engine cover, start with the cam chain tensioner (because its the cheapest, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR OWN!!!) if you hear a "buzzing" noise, (now keep in mind my bike has 30 thousand un maintained miles) take off your right side engine cover and inspect your guides! and if you have them do any type of top end work, have the valves adjusted! I'm really hoping that this bike will now be ok for another 25, 30k miles... i truly hope so! if you all have any questions please do not hesitate, my email is xhonda1991x@yahoo.com For me this has been a miserable awful expensive trip! i will tell you this now, if you are looking into buying a "high mileage" sport bike! DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS ITS FROM A CLOSE PERSONAL FRIEND OR HAS MAINTENANCE RECORDS!!!!!!!! i can not stress that enough! idc how good the deal may be! save yourself the headache and money!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.