: **Cracked**

ephraimsaldivia
03-26-2004, 03:58 PM
http://www.600rr.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=2283

http://www.600rr.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=2284

I was changing the Oil and I tighten the Bolt really hard with out the washer and it cracked...so i put the washer in and its still leaking and i found that it had a crack...i dont know what the part is called.... :cry: I was wondering if you guys know where and if i can get an aftermaket for this...or is it just better to weld it or replace the whole thing??? :cry: The shop told me for Labor its $850 and parts like $150 but i have a buddy that can do the labor.

VinRR
03-26-2004, 04:02 PM
$850 for labor????? Thats 1/10 of the price of the whole bike! Imagine what it would cost us for the bike if it cost that much to assemble each piece of the bike. I can barely see a crack.. I think welding might do the trick. Its not a moving part or anything so stress on it will be minimal. Save your money, just weld it and say a couple of Hail Mary's. :wink:

HighLineCBR
03-26-2004, 04:06 PM
yeah try welding it first. THat might cost you $20. and then if it doesnt work then get a new one

GA_RR
03-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Put it back together, bring it in and play dumb...tell them you are leaking oil. Have the warranty cover it.

Marshall
03-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Jb weld or you can get it welded by a local shop.

Down On My Knees
03-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Put it back together, bring it in and play dumb...tell them you are leaking oil. Have the warranty cover it.

good idea but the warante is only a year so it depends on when he got it

ephraimsaldivia
03-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Yeah thats what they told me too,,but if i jb welded i still have to take the whole thing apart and weld it from the inside and outside of the crack right?....also if i do it at the local shop they have to take it apart also for welding? What am trying to say is can they weld it securely if you just weld it from the outside of the crack?

VinRR
03-26-2004, 04:39 PM
What am trying to say is can they weld it securely if you just weld it from the outside of the crack?

Im sure they can. It will be fine.

Marshall
03-26-2004, 05:02 PM

Yeah thats what they told me too,,but if i jb welded i still have to take the whole thing apart and weld it from the inside and outside of the crack right?....also if i do it at the local shop they have to take it apart also for welding? What am trying to say is can they weld it securely if you just weld it from the outside of the crack?

That's what your goign to have to ask the people doing the welding. They are the professionals. They should know their stuff.

CBRBlack
03-26-2004, 05:17 PM
You cracked the sump, damn!!!! I suppose its cause the sump plug went in further as you had the washer off.

Presumably its just oozing out rather than pooring out?. Best bet is to drain oil out and weld it up. Not sure what the sumps made out of one these bikes, it might need special welding.

Othing thing that might work is instant metal. Mix it up and get some smoothed into that crack. Let it set for a bit and that should do it. Just keep an eye on the oil level and be carefuly next time you put the sump plug back in.

If the oil is pouring out your buggered really, new sump. Probably have to drop the exhaust out to get to the bolts to drop the sump out. Might be worth taking the sup out anyway as you'll get a better chance of patching it up with weld. Remember you will need a new sump gasket before you fit the new or old one back

snake
03-26-2004, 05:37 PM
jb weld, did it on my dirtbike before and it worked

Vaein
03-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Eh also i would invest in a torque wrentch, even then just looking at the required I belive 22lbs of torque for that bolt and you should have known not to go crazy on that bolt...

Blinds04
03-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Why not buy the oil pan and try doing it your self? Remove the fairings, headers and a couple of bolts and the oil pan comes off.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0426/oil_pan_oil_pump/oil_pan_oil_pump.jpg

CBRBob
03-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Just change the pan and get a torque wrench gorilla man!

Wizard
03-26-2004, 07:22 PM
good idea but the warante is only a year so it depends on when he got it

Yeah, but who had a 600RR at this time last year? Pretty much nobody! Chances are he's well within the warranty.

But it's a moot point... it was operator error. Just weld it up and move on!

corner worker
03-27-2004, 08:06 AM
$850 for labor. That's better than 12 hours of labor. You could replace the whole engine in that amount of time. Let the dealership know you're not having it. If they don't do better (a whole lot better) take it elsewhere.

And for the guy that said play dumb and claim warranty. What's wrong with you man? This guy f#@ked up. It was his mistake so why should he try to screw Honda over it. If he paid the $15 for a torque wrech it would have never been a problem in the first place. Its because of bullsh#t warranty claims like this that people with legitimate problems have such a hard time getting their's resolved. Take a little responsibility for being an idiot and own up to your mistakes.

YellowRR
03-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Well its time for him to learn how to work on things the correct way. You should go by a service manual, order the part and take you time and fix it your self. You broke it now you can fix it. Working on you own bike can be very rewarding as you can appreciate every little thing since you know how hard or easy it was to accomplish. Swaping out the oil pan shouldnt take you longer then a few hrs to. For the $$$ the dealer wants ill fly out to you house and change it with you. :bounce: It sucks that is cracked but its not the end of the world. Ive jb welded alot of things but this is one i wouldnt do. Just think about what will happen if that fails 3 months down the road while your leaned over in a turn and that rear tire is sprayed with oil. NOT good, welding it is not a great idea, since there are many composit metals on our bikes making welding to them not the funnest thing to do.

ephraimsaldivia
03-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey guys thanks alot for your help, i did a litlte shoping around...i did the jb-welding and it just looks cheap and still seems like its oosing out , YellowRR has a point...i rather replace the whole thing....and ..and invest in a Torque wrench :wink: I set an apointment for Monday at another Honda Shop its going to take about a week or two since its summer...((that will officially be the longest time i will go without riding))and its going to be no more than 300 bucks... :P am so relieved i cant believe how much the other homo's were charging!!! am going to change my back tire and get 15/43 combo sprokets while am there... :bounce: i be posting a video clip to see for my self if u can easliy pull a wheelie in 2nd gear with little effort.

YellowRR
03-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Is the 300$ including parts or is that just labor. How much is the oil pan?

ephraimsaldivia
03-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Is the 300$ including parts or is that just labor. How much is the oil pan?

parts and labor all included

Wizard
03-27-2004, 04:36 PM
parts and labor all included

Good deal.

corner worker
03-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Yea, $300 sounds much more reasonable. I would still encourage you to get a service manual $50 and a torque wrench for future use.

GA_RR
03-28-2004, 10:14 AM
$850 for labor. That's better than 12 hours of labor. You could replace the whole engine in that amount of time. Let the dealership know you're not having it. If they don't do better (a whole lot better) take it elsewhere.

And for the guy that said play dumb and claim warranty. What's wrong with you man? This guy f#@ked up. It was his mistake so why should he try to screw Honda over it. If he paid the $15 for a torque wrech it would have never been a problem in the first place. Its because of bullsh#t warranty claims like this that people with legitimate problems have such a hard time getting their's resolved. Take a little responsibility for being an idiot and own up to your mistakes.

I totally agree if you are working with a good dealer that is not riping you off. But $850 for labor is obviously aome fuckhead dealer trying to screw the guy. That is the only reason I said claim warranty through them. Lose the attitude, I didn't do anything, have never made a waranty claim on my bike or anything else for that matter(even when I could have, I've fixed things myself) I was simply trying the give the guy an option. No reason go to calling people names for no reason and act like I've done something wrong....think before posting.

ephraimsaldivia, i'm glad you found a good dealer that isn't try to screw you. Stick with them and let them know you appreciate their work.

600rrpilot
04-02-2004, 03:37 PM
********** DO NOT JB WELD THIS PART OF THE BIKE! THE RESULTS COULD BE DISASTEROUS!****************

no offense and not to be rude but all of you people telling someone to jb weld a god damn oil pan on a MOTORCYCLE, think before you speak.

so lets say he does jb weld it and it works and the oil dosnt leak while hes checking it and the bikes in idle. lets even go further and say a year later the thing STILL isnt leaking (VERY UNLIKELY) but then one day going to the local honda dealer to check out that new exhaust, the **** you used to plug the crack fails, you get 3 qts. of oil on your rear tire, and you fry your engine and more likely and even worse yet, you crash as a result of the oil on you tire. DO NOT JB WELD IT....... pay for the new part, SCREW HONDA SERVICE DEPTS and find someone who KNOWS how to install it for a 6 pack or something. on a dirtbike, sure **** it cause its not going to cause you to crash ( it will seize your engine if it fails and goes unnoticed)

please people think about these thing before you give shitty advice to someone whom dosnt know better (ephraimsaldivia im not pointing fingers) im just generalizing. and gets killed over such bad advice. :roll: :bitchslap:

either take it to a place who will weld it for you (the real way) or buy a new one from ronayers.com for a song and a dance compared to honda dealerships. :wink:

quasi888
04-02-2004, 04:02 PM
********** DO NOT JB WELD THIS PART OF THE BIKE! THE RESULTS COULD BE DISASTEROUS!****************

...the s**t you used to plug the crack fails, you get 3 qts. of oil on your rear tire, and you fry your engine and more likely and even worse yet, you crash as a result of the oil on you tire.

This very thing happened to a friend, on the freeway no less. Fortunately, even with oil splattered all over the rear tire, he was able to safely pull it off to the side of the road.

Just replace the pan and have peace of mind.

And I hope you've learned your lesson....use a torque wrench, and don't forget the crush washer!