: Uncuttable lock/chain?

raoke
07-12-2006, 07:14 AM
At my school there is a pole horizontally cemented to the ground to lock up bikes. I saw a lot of kriptonite chains and locks there, but my friends say those can be cut.

Is this true, and if so are there any uncuttable ones out there?

I might have to Pee-Wee Herman chain my bike up.

tripage
07-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Anything can be cut... It's just a matter of how long it will take.. The thicker the better... Get one with a waterproof lock and just leave it locked to the pole... T

NewRedRider
07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Locks are for honest people. If they want in bad enough they'll find a way. Out of sight, out of mind.

Knightslugger
07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
the thicker and STONGER the better. I've seen chains that break HUGE bolt cutter blades and barely show damage. the only alternative would be to torch it but most bike jackers are pretty low tech (bolt cutters). Very few will haul a O/A torch to the site to take it. that would look a little suspect walking around, even at night.

if you can't cut it, melt it.

But i agree with RedRider; out of sight, out of mind. they can't still what they can't find. if it's possible. otherwise beef up your protection with an alarm and chain. it may bring your insurance premium down as well. the best protection against theft however, IS theft insurance.

jener8tionx
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Chains are only a deterrent. I had a buddy get an uncuttable chain...I told him I could cut it in 30 seconds or I'd buy him a new one. 25 seconds with the battery powered grinder, and he was buying a new lock. It was harder than normal, but not unstoppable. The best protection I have seen is from www.bikebrace.com. I made my own that you can see in my sig link. That would take a solid 5 min with a cutter...if I didn't want to hurt the bike.

DethMetal Jeff
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Chains are only a deterrent. I had a buddy get an uncuttable chain...I told him I could cut it in 30 seconds or I'd buy him a new one. 25 seconds with the battery powered grinder, and he was buying a new lock. It was harder than normal, but not unstoppable. The best protection I have seen is from www.bikebrace.com. I made my own that you can see in my sig link. That would take a solid 5 min with a cutter...if I didn't want to hurt the bike.

Yea, I was gonna say...battery powered angle grinder will get through pretty much anything.

raoke
07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Who brings power tools to school though?

I did ask the school police if there were any bikes stolen last semester, and of course they said yes. Once instance had a uhaul truck involved.

I guess I will write a petition to try to get bike parking in the middle of campus where its always packed and no one can drive a car onto.

RyGuy
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Chains are only a deterrent. I had a buddy get an uncuttable chain...I told him I could cut it in 30 seconds or I'd buy him a new one. 25 seconds with the battery powered grinder, and he was buying a new lock. It was harder than normal, but not unstoppable. The best protection I have seen is from www.bikebrace.com (http://www.bikebrace.com/). I made my own that you can see in my sig link. That would take a solid 5 min with a cutter...if I didn't want to hurt the bike.
Wow, jener8tionx- that's cool that you made one yourself. What about those of us who don't want to be cruicified by our HOAs and have a big metal thing bolted to the ground? I live at an apartment and have no garage, just park in the lot and pray some crafty SOB with bolt cutters doesn't come take my bike (or just load it up into a truck as it's not fastened to anything). What theft deturrant would you suggest? Besides the obvious theft insurance of course.

toofast
07-12-2006, 07:09 PM
out of sight out of mind is the best policy you could get one of those hidden trackers in case it does getr stolen you may be able to find it but you never know it really depends if the person stealing it wants it more then you do !!!

RyGuy
07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
That's the thing I hate about this world these days, no one respects the fact that people pay to get things in this world, they don't see that you have to pay for s*** in order to function, that's how things work. They see a bike just sitting there, no chains, no alarm, nothing and think "they didn't lock it, they don't deserve it". It's total BS. I swear if I catch someone trying to steal my bike that I worked hard to afford I won't hesitate to give them a nice lead salad from my Glock! They have no right to take what isn't theirs. I wish I could advertise something like "The owner of this bike owns a Glock 22 .40 cal pistol and is capable of expending a minimum of 50 rounds at any given time, stealing this bike is hazardous to your continued existance!"

roguegeek
07-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Anything can be cut with the proper tools and enough time given. Chains and locks are what was stated above. It keeps the honest people honest. If you're serious about bike security, look into a Bike Brace (http://www.bikebrace.com/).

raoke
07-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Thjs is for school though

tripage
07-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Go with a beefy chain lock her up.. Hopefully security will notice someone cutting a chain with a cut off wheel...

roguegeek
07-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Chain through the frame, disk lock, bike cover, and maybe a Scorpio paging alarm. They're really all just deterrents. When it comes down to it, if someone wants it, they're gonna take it.

DethMetal Jeff
07-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Yea, but your school is in a city/town and there's pretty much nothing stopping people from walking on campus to steal your bike. Unless you guys have a moat and a drawbridge...which btw would be so awesome!

kd_rome
07-13-2006, 11:16 AM
man, the point is to make thieves life harder, so get a huge chain and lock the bike to a pole, add a disklock as well.
They will be able to cut it, but it's gonna take a lot of time and the bike it's in a public spot, so everybody would see 'em.
If you have the bikein the garage you need to get a bike brace, a guy on the forum made one, try to find the post.

raoke
07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
im not worried about the bike when its at my house, just at school. but ill look into it more.
i already have a disc lock with bult in alarm

rykid
07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
i wouldnt even bring my bike to a place and leave it where i cant see it you never know whats going on when your not there.. people touching it and all that stuff. im all set with that

b.mike23
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
theft insurance and common sense is the best thing you can do. a lock is just to prevent or delay an opportunistic stop and snatch type crackhead thief.

keep in mind the common thief psychology: they want to make some EASY money to sustain a certain lowlife lifestyle. If they drive by your bike and they see it sitting there nice and shiny with no lock, the thief will consider that its worth to take the risk for 30 seconds to drive up and pull it into the van. But if the bike is secured with some kind of lock, now the thief has to feel like its worth the risk to walk up with a lock cutter in his hand, cut the chain, and load it up. This might just be enough deterrent for the common thief, who most likely already has some jail under his belt, and really does not want to go back to jail.

so the bottom line is: always park in a well visible area with pedestrian traffic. Dont try to hide your bike in the back parking or behind the building or in the bushes because the thief is more likely to go for it there. Thieves are generally sneaky and anti social and so a simple lock will prevent most thefts.

Professional thieves are a different story. They will take it from your garage in the middle of the night...

Make sure you have theft insurance under your policy.

Just noticed that this is an old discussion thread. nonetheless this is a good topic...

espy59lc
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
wow dude...this thread was 4 years old...Congrats!:drunk:

CollapsedNut
05-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Hey I bet he used the search feature to find it tho lol

jasikes
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Ha! I just did the same exact thing. I'm glad I read thru it tho because the post above about a moat and a drawbridge was great.

noobinacan
09-02-2010, 10:50 PM
get a XENA lock, it goes off if someone tries to tamper with chain and lock.
get the thickest XENA or krypt or on guard chain...you can't cut with bolt cutter, you can't saw through quickly.
only way is to torch it...and that means equipment and time...

usually not worth messing with unless you're riding the Mv Augusta limited edition all carbon bike :D

adman360
09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
get a thick chain or cable, disk lock, scorpio alarm and most importantly theft insurance and hope for the best. i had a bike stolen, had a 3/4 inch cable on it to a pole they cut it right off and took it at 11am on a busy street. so get insurance.