Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Build a Bike

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  razor7 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

So I'm starting this now in order to keep track of what I end up doing to the 600RR I just picked up. Don't expect this thing to be the queen of modifications, or the bike you drool over at night. This is just a DD/Trackbike on a college kid's budget...

OTHER BUILD THREADS:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with Automatic to Manual Swap

2004 CBR 600RR
- 20k miles
- Salvage title
- 2005 600RR forks (inverted and adjustable)
- Moriwaki Slip on

Needs: Levers, Clip-ons (mismatched but otherwise fine), full fairing kit (every piece is rashed or cracked)

Wants: rear-sets, projector retrofits, frame-sliders, SS lines, clutch repack kit, GPR stabilizer

I'll also put in new plugs, and go through and replace all fluids once I get the capital to do so.

-TC

See less See more
#2 ·
lots of potential here! this is going tobe good :)

#6 · (Edited)
Awesome! I'll do that while doing that inverse gauge cluster mod. This should be stickied in the mods section, unless I missed it there.

mine dont work either that thread helps check it out. dont know about u rmechanical or riding abilities but i suggest finding a local suspension guru and have him refresh the forks and shock. 20k is alot and i see your shock still has the black cap over the nitrogen bladder so i doubt its been serviced. just my oppinion tho.
My mechanical abilities are pretty good - I've built full cars, engines, bikes... I haven't tinkered much with suspension other than replacing and adjusting. I'll start reading up on how to service these and get on it once I get past the holidays.

Thanks for the heads up. It does feel a little bit squirrely - it's fine at freeway speeds and greater, nice and stable, no pull one way or the other. But at lower speeds the rear end seems to slip or twitch here and there - it's very infrequent and minimal. I haven't adjusted anything on it other than how each fork sat in the triples - one side was 1cm higher than the other.

The last owner was a little 100lb guy who dropped it a couple times on both sides. I'm sure it'll take a few months to iron out all of the small nuances.

-TC

#5 · (Edited)
mine dont work either that thread helps check it out. dont know about u rmechanical or riding abilities but i suggest finding a local suspension guru and have him refresh the forks and shock. 20k is alot and i see your shock still has the black cap over the nitrogen bladder so i doubt its been serviced. just my oppinion tho.

#7 ·
So I need a new fairing kit, and what I'm looking at are '03/'04 styles, but I realize that my front fender is off a '05. So what all does it take to get the '05/'06 plastics to swap over? I can only assume the fairing stay - but what else is necessary? The vents are ground down about 1-2" and don't fully connect to the ports in the nose fairing as is.

-TC

#8 ·
I did a long ride yesterday up Highway 9 and around. Lots of lean, lots of on/off power, lots of hard braking to hard acceleration.

When I went to fill up I found coolant around the gas cap (under the cap, not in the gas tank). I also found spots here and there on the tank shroud and around the frame/neck.

Once I get the new fairings I'll give the whole coolant system a run through. Before I go tracking it down, has anyone had this issue crop up as well? I'd love to know where the first place to check would be. Natural inclination would lead me to believe it's bubbling out of the overflow or there is a pin sized leak in one of the pressurized hoses, causing it to spray.

I'll copypasta this post into the troubleshooting section as well.

-TC

#9 ·
looks like it will be a fun build even with a budget. take your time and search the web(600rr.net, wera, ebay, etc) for the parts you need and it should be relatively cheap to repair it

#10 ·
Thanks. I'm pretty good at finding deals, already have knock-off CRG levers on and Driven D3 grips in the mail. Main thing I have to focus on for now is maintenance and tuning - I want to learn suspension tuning and adjusting. So I hope to refresh everything over winter and start dialing it in slowly.

-TC

#12 ·
Woot.

Got some new clip-ons (thanks SaFaDo RR!), some D3 grips, and some crap ass ebay knock off CRG levers.

Suspension has been re-aligned, now just needs to be re-adjusted to stock and see how it holds up.

I'll be parking the bike in my living room sometime in the next few weeks to check the valves and do other standard maintenance (oil, coolant, inspections). So far I've put on ~1200 miles with no major hiccups. It died at Apple Inc. while visiting an old colleague, but it was jumped by security and rode home fine. Time to invest in a gel battery.

To come is just maintenance and tweaks. After taxes are filed, I might be on the move for fairings. I'm contemplating getting a set of blanks or round up a bunch of OEMs and spray them a cream white - think GT3RS cream white.

-TC

#13 ·
Completed:

- replaced clip-ons, adjusted
- D3 grips installed
- R6 throttle tube mod
- Bar sliders installed
- Battery replaced
- NGK Iridium plugs (stock)
- PAIR mod
- Oil + filter
- Coolant and thermostat housing (was leaking from somewhere...)
- Clutch (EBC SRC kit)
- Bridgestone R10 takeoffs mounted

To do:

- Adjust suspension (waiting on Z2 day)
- Fairings
- Better levers
- Steering stabilizer
- Rearsets

-TC

#14 ·
So I cleaned everything up, replaced the fairings with aftermarket ones, adjusted everything for me and enjoyed it a couple last times on Highway 9 before selling it to fund a trip to Europe (a graduation present to myself).

It's gone, but I still have some race fairings to throw on a 600rr. I'll be back with another build soon enough.

-TC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.