Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

No fuel prime and no spark

10K views 51 replies 5 participants last post by  MachRider 
#1 ·
Ok let me start off by saying that I am not troubleshooting a 600rr, but the bike is very similar. (06 1000rr) I am very desperate to figure out the problem, so ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I tried posting on 1000rr.net but have had no help, please 600rr brothers, prove to me for the 100th time why this site is the best!

The information: I bought the bike wrecked. I completely disassembled it and put it back together. It didn't run when I took it apart because I didn't have the headlight harness. I now have it back together and I cannot get it to spark or prime the fuel system. First I bought a new battery because the one that was in it was completely dead.

I put a multimeter on the negative battery terminal to the grounding spot on the frame that has two grounds going to it. It was good.
I tested all of the relays, and they all tested good. (I did this by following the instructions in the service manual.) You can hear it click when you flip the kill switch.
The kill switch is good and was verified with the multimeter.
I jumped the outer wires for the bank angle sensor.
There are no blown fuses.
I replaced the fuel pump because that tested bad. I jumped it and it wouldn't turn on. I also checked for voltage going to it and there was none when I turned the key. New pump when jumped turned on, but still no voltage to it.
The MIL does not blink.

This isn't making sense to me. I am about to buy a different ecm and wiring harness. I am hoping that it is something simple but it's not looking that way. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the voltage at the fuel pump with run position on. Just to make sure it's turning on power. kickstand is down/bike in neutral/ Make sure the outer wires are the same on the 1000rr, not sure about the bas on 1000. No power at fuel pump with kickstand up and bas correctly mounted or bypassed next is your relay and your ecm. If you didn't already replace the spark plug. New is always better than used and unknown.

#3 ·
There is definitely no voltage going to the pump when the key is on and the kill switch is set to run. Kickstand is down and bike is in neutral. Bypassing the bas is the same method on the 1000rr as the 600rr so that's good. I tested all four relays that the bike has, and all tested good per instructions in the service manual. I can try a new plug again but with the no fuel pump prime issue I am guessing it is something else that is giving me no fuel or spark. It sounds like ecu is definitely next. Either way THANK YOU for your help Tri, even if it's stuff I already did any help is a positive towards fixing this.

I am open to any other ideas as well, even if you think it's dumb. You won't offend me! At this point it could really be anything little or dumb!

#7 ·
I just jumped out the kickstand switch, and the clutch switch like you said. Still no prime. I played around with the bas jumper and the second I unplugged one of my leads I heard the relay click off, so when connected again the relay clicked back on. I believe that is telling me that it was correctly jumped, right?

#10 ·
If the 1000 is the same as the 600 the ecu is sending a ground to the relay to engage it. Check the relays and get the fuel pump relay and manually trigger it as the ecu does. If it turns on this way then it's definitely your ecu

#12 ·
Guessing you have a 1000rr manual so you can see the wiring? Each relay has different color wires, find the one that is for the fuel pump. In the troubleshooting section it will say how to test the ecu if you are not getting the fuel pump to turn on. You will see the "trigger" wire coming from the ecu to the relay to turn it on. On the 600rr this is a ground. If it's the same on the 1000rr you will turn on the key/run and then run a jumper from the - on the battery to that trigger wire. if your fuel pump turns on your ecu is bad because it's not sending the ground it's supposed to when turned on.

#13 ·
Ok I get it. I do have the service manual and when looking at the wiring diagram I cannot find the trigger wire you are talking about. I looked at the ecu troubleshooting and their pin layout is different. The manual is 04-05 and my bike is an 06. People all say the ECM is the same basically though. ::crazy::

#14 ·
It doesn't have a full page of wiring layout in the back?
Trace the relay wire back to the ecm.

#17 ·
Hard to see but looks like brown/yellow is the wire you are looking for on the relay.
Look at the relays diagram and check the common wire between them. I am going to guess it's a + but check this with a volt meter before trying it. If it's a + on all three of the relays then the brw/yellow is a negative. You can continuity this with the key on/run on to see if it's a negative.

#19 ·
Most likely because either the relay isn't turning on or it's not getting power/ground to turn on.

#21 · (Edited)
Sorry, read that wrong. Have you changed the relays? Sounds like it's not turning on because you can bypass it and it works

#22 ·
You metered brw/yellow to make sure it's a + trigger?

#24 ·
If you manually trigger the relay from the battery you are only getting 3 volts?

Doesn't sound like that relay is working properly.

#26 ·
Hey fox give me a call 352-978-7287

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.