Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

CBR600RRA Build Thread

288K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Purchased new from Honda in late 2011 the bike arrived in HRC colours with no more than the pre-delivery inspection miles on the clock in completely standard trim with no aftermarket parts fitted. Since then the CBR has had a raft of different modifications made to it; some being simply aesthetic and but most for outright performance on track. The intent has always been to build the CBR to UK Superstock specification for both road and track use. In its current form and specification the CBR is pretty much race ready and all the major performance parts have now been added.

Road:

Track:

To navigate through the many posts simply click on a modification listed below to access the relevant page within the build thread. The majority of modifications are listed and there is a wealth of other information and pictures on how the CBR has evolved. Hopefully, this thread will prove useful and interesting to some and I will continue to update the thread in the future.

Modification List:

Engine and Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Bodywork
Misc.

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome colours, If it was mine, I'd lose the large metal exhaust link pipe heatshield on the RH side, you can't see the nice blueing of the Ti Akrapovic, also it diverts the eye away from the carbon outer heatshield.

Oh and btw, you'll have no heat problems removing this heatshield.

#8 ·
Awesome colours, If it was mine, I'd lose the large metal exhaust link pipe heatshield on the RH side, you can't see the nice blueing of the Ti Akrapovic, also it diverts the eye away from the carbon outer heatshield.

Oh and btw, you'll have no heat problems removing this heatshield.
:+1: looks great man!

#10 ·
After finally finding some spare time I've managed to get back in the garage and removed the lower heat shield from the RH side of the bike.

Definitely cleans up the rear of the bike.
I thought the same thing initially then noticed the giant brown catalytic convertor by the lower fairing. I ended up using high temp paint and painted the shield black and then re-installed it. I think it looks a lot better.

Keep up the good work!

#12 ·
Why is it that over seas they got a red white and blue color sceme? That's color is awesome and I wantnit! That bike is sick too man! Nice work!

#20 ·
Akrapovic Carbon Parts

I was quite fortunate to pick them up last year from the UK distributor. They still have some parts available (http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/) but I was informed by them that Akrapovic were no longer producing carbon parts from 2012 onwards. Best advice: if you see them buy them. There are also a few on eBay at the moment supplied by another UK parts distributor who are very reputable and highly recommended.

#23 ·
Akrapovic Carbon Part No.s

For those trying to get hold of Akrapovic carbon parts here are the part numbers:

Front Mudguard – 01-03-07-0001
Side Panel Left – 01-03-09-0001
Side Panel Left – 01-03-09-0002
Exhaust Heat Shield – 01-03-05-0001
Rear Hugger – 01-03-08-0001
Heel Guard Right – 01-03-06-0001
Heel Guard Left – 01-03-06-0002
Chain Guard – 01-03-03-0001

#25 ·
#30 ·
Suspension Setup - CBR600RR-A Modification Thread

Just finished probably the most important modification to my CBR600RR: suspension setup. Spent half of today at Snetterton circuit and with the help of 100% Suspension (http://www.100pcsuspension.co.uk/home.html) have got my suspension dialled in and firmed up. The bike now handles and brakes brilliantly. Snetterton provides a good mix of high and low speed corners and two very fast straights. Ideal if you want to find a good base setting.

The suspension now feels much more planted and settled, especially when braking hard into corners. This combined with a grippy set of Pirellis has meant the bike is even more predictable than it was previously and more compliant to rider input.

The figures below give the standard settings, front and rear, that my Honda came delivered with and those that I have worked on today to provide a sound base setting to work from for future track riding.

Front:

Standard OEM

Sag-mm 24
Comp High C/T -
Low T 2
Rebound T 2

Base Setting

Sag-mm 24
Comp High C/T -
Low T 1 ¾
Rebound T 1 ¼

Rear:

Standard OEM

Sag-mm 8/9
Comp High C/T -
Low C 24
Rebound T 2 ¼

Base Setting

Sag-mm 8/9
Comp High C/T -
Low C 20
Rebound T 1 ¾

C = Clicks out from fully in
T = Turns out from fully in

#32 ·
Renthal Grips & K-Tech Fork Springs - CBR600RR-A Modification Thread

I fitted a set of Renthal Road Race Grips this weekend and they were not as emotional to fit as I expected. They also didn’t require any glue to hold in place as they fit really well and do not shift as you move your hands on the bars. I have gone for the Medium Compound 120mm set as they seem to offer the best compromise – soft enough for good grip but firm enough to last. I would highly recommend these as after nearly a hundred miles of riding today they are so much more comfortable than the OE ones and at only £7 a set you can’t go far wrong.

Further to finding a base setting my forks have now been thoroughly overhauled by K-Tech and resprung for my body weight. I now have a confidence inspiring front end ready for the warmer weather that’s starting to grace the UK and forthcoming trackdays. The front now gives loads of feedback so I couldn’t be happier. My best advice to anyone… get your suspension sorted and it will transform your riding.

My modifications to date:

• Akrapovic Titanium Slip-on
  • Akrapovic Carbon Side Panels, Heel Guards, Front Mudguard, Rear Hugger, Chain Guard, Exhaust Guard
  • R&G Aero Crash Protectors, FE, Cotton Reels, Frame Inserts
  • ASV Clutch/Brake Levers
  • Renthal Road Race Grips (Medium Compound 120mm)
  • Honda Racing Seat Cowl, Carbon Top Cover
  • Stompgrips
  • Datatag
  • Upper & Lower Heat Shield Removal
  • HRC Quick Action Throttle
  • K-Tech Front Fork Springs

#38 ·
I fitted a set of Renthal Road Race Grips this weekend and they were not as emotional to fit as I expected. They also didn’t require any glue to hold in place as they fit really well and do not shift as you move your hands on the bars. I have gone for the Medium Compound 120mm set as they seem to offer the best compromise – soft enough for good grip but firm enough to last. I would highly recommend these as after nearly a hundred miles of riding today they are so much more comfortable than the OE ones and at only £7 a set you can’t go far wrong.

correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those soft compound grips? i have the same pair and they're the light grey color like in the pic, mine are the soft compound. from what i was told they only come in specific colors for each type:

soft - light grey
medium - dark grey/smoke
hard - black

i went for my first long ride yesterday with my rentals and i wasn't impressed at all with the comfort factor one bit.

#33 ·
how much to get your forks done and have you got contact details for them
thanks,id like to get mine sorted for my weight,not sure who/where to get it done
any advice welcome,cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.