Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

First Witnessed Oil Change

8K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Rad Rage 
#1 ·
Oil change at 8500KM, done at Honda. They only have one type of Honda oil they use which is replaced every 5000KM:

Oil @ 8500KM by SurgeRR, on Flickr

Now I was going in wanting 10w-40 after all the threads I read on here, I was disappointed to see they only used 5w-30. 10W-40 is quite rare here as very little people use it, I found one brand and its cost was 50% more than the Honda 5W-30. Cost wasnt an issue, I wanted the best. I did some further digging after the change. I found out that cold starts are the main reason of engine wear and having a lower viscosity oil would be better for the engine especially in cold times. Seeing the desert climate here means temperatures range from 22F/9C in the winter to 120F/50C in the summer. I could use 5W-30 in the winter which we are about to embrace and 10W-40 in the summer. What do you guys think?

Dude at work:

First Oil Change by SurgeRR, on Flickr

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
This was the Honda Agency Bike Service Shop, you can't get more legit than this. Now what the effing hell??!! Are you sure this oil contains friction modifiers??
What do you recommend I do if it does?

#7 ·
that oil is most likely no good for your bike, car engine oil is for cars and is not formulated for wet clutches. check the bottle to see if it has the "JASO-MA" SPEC for wet clutches, it probably does not and if so drain it and get the proper oil.

this is why i do my own maintainance because you never know what kind of idiot at the dealer is working on your baby! **** i just had mine at the dealer to get the waterpump replaced "under warranty" and the frikin retard there even managed to screw that up! left a bolt loose and lost a part for my fairing, good thing i checked over my bike when i got home.

#10 ·
Hmm I think the dealership need to get some schooling.

The oil that they gave is one for cars. Specifically the LEV (Low Emission Vehicle) Honda engine.
I wouldn't even use it for my high performance Honda (Type Rs, Old H22A Prelude, S2000, NSX, etc)

Motorcycle oil has friction modifier which keeps it more stable when getting crushed by the gears.

In Cars the gearbox is completely separate to the engine therefore the oil doesn't get crushed by the gears.

In Motorcycle the engine oil is also used to lubricate the gearbox and clutch. When using car's oil the oil will get disintegrate as they are not supposed to handle the gear crushing on them and lose its lubricating properties.

You should really get it drained and get specific motorcycle oil. plenty of suggestion above.

Just because they are dealership doesn't mean they know best. Especially if they are mixed car and bike dealership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_oil

#11 · (Edited)
Looks like the oil they used is fucked.

Motorcycle oil has friction modifier which keeps it more stable when getting crushed by the gears.
The forum is filled with threads stating that the oil used should NOT contain friction modifiers, you are recommending the opposite?

#14 ·
We shouldn't get too hung up on the specifics.

There are 2 types of Friction modifier
1. to reduce friction: this is bad as it may cause clutch slippage although not proven
2. to give it more resistance against the gear pressure: this is what is normally added to motorcycle oil.

I'd say OP should stick with the well known motorcycle oil
Honda GN4, Motul semi syntethic 5100, 6100, 7000 etc, Rotella whatever (I've never used them).

Just don't mix mineral, semi synthetic and full synthetic.

Also my motto is always more frequent changes is better than good oil for longer period of time.

I used Motul 5100 because it's readily available; I can rock into any motorcycle shop and get one without having to order.

#22 ·
Just drain it don't make a huge deal of it. Your filter probably holds .3 qts if that. Most of the time people never reach the mileage where you'll have issues related to oil. I ran car oil in my f4i for 10k miles and it shifted fine, not saying I should have but I did. It's not as harmful as some make it out to be, still not recommending it though.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have finally found some motorcycle specific oil, since I couldnt find any auto oil that complies with the 3 standards in the manual. I changed the OEM filter which had 100Kms on it (uh what the hell). Below is the oil I used, so much more effing expensive but I don't mind trying it out. I hope it produces the results it claims.

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
All your suggestions, killed in one foul swoop by:

Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-30, FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL(for those of you complaining about 2008 blade oil leaking, are you using this? no? thought so...) the W is Winter, so you're putting in 5W so thats for very cold temperatures, here in the UK we get snow in winter and I'm using 10W, the second number is how well it flows when heated to water boiling point or higher, I think 0w is rated to some of the lowest temperates these companies test

Castrol works with Honda, and are world renowned. Enough said.:shakehand

I was looking for that, but nowhere to be found. The Maxima oil I bought is just starting to get into the engine. It seems it takes a couple of rides for the new oil to wash away the old (different oil) from the engine crevices and start performing. (Just a theory I have after I felt smoother operation on the 3rd ride after changing from the shitty (oil in OP) to the Maxima oil.

#30 ·
Just to give you an idea of the yahoo's that work in the service department at dealers....

My friend just bought a 2012 Honda crf 450 off the floor. We hung out while they "prepped" it. It's a friggin Dirtbike..30 minutes later the guy comes out and says I'm sorry for the wait but we're having trouble finding the keys..keys!?!?.. Hahaha.

#31 ·
Just to give you an idea of the yahoo's that work in the service department at dealers....

My friend just bought a 2012 Honda crf 450 off the floor. We hung out while they "prepped" it. It's a friggin Dirtbike..30 minutes later the guy comes out and says I'm sorry for the wait but we're having trouble finding the keys..keys!?!?.. Hahaha.
30minutes?? :retard:My God!

Yeah, I guess we the serious about our bikes, just need to learn how to work on them for the peace of mind.

#34 · (Edited)
I've stayed away from Castrol oils. I heard/read that they don't have a true Ester base and that they aren't true synthetics - not when compared with the real synthetic oils. However, I'm happy to learn otherwise.

I've been using Motul 7100 4T (full Ester synthetic) in my bike for the last five years and really trust it. This past winter (April to September-ish) I used Motul 5100 4T and when I replaced it (done less than 5,000 km) with more 5100, about two weeks ago, I discovered that it did not wear nearly as well as the 7100 4T. So today, after only a couple of hundred kilometres, I took the opportunity to dump it while I installed my new Suter Slipper Clutch. I replaced it with 7100 and won't be going back to 5100.

#35 ·
I've stayed away from Castrol oils. I heard/read that they don't have a true Ester base and that they aren't true synthetics - not when compared with the real synthetic oils. However, I'm happy to learn otherwise.

I've been using Motul 7100 4T in my bike for the last five years and really trust it. This past winter (April to September-ish) I used Motul 5100 4T and when I replaced it (done less than 5,000 km) with more 5100, about two weeks ago, I discovered that it did not wear nearly as well as the 7100 4T. So today, after only a couple of hundred kilometres, I took the opportunity to dump it while I installed my new Suter Slipper Clutch. I replaced it with 7100 and won't be going back to 5100.
What are the exact differences between the 7100 and the 5100?

#37 ·
Gotcha, I thought both were fully synthetic. But yeah fully synthetic will always last longer; 12000KM according to the manual. It really depends on how hard you ride your bike so I would reduce that to around 9000KM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.