Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Winter

6K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  brmoore 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone retired their bike yet? I've never done it before but thinking of putting my bike in the garage this winter...so it'll be getting those things...trains :cursin:

Went 100miles on saturday but my bike got covered in loads of salt etc so cleaned all that off and just sat there thinking, if i have to do this everyday i'm gonna go mental trying to keep my shiny 08 RR...shiny:crackup:

shame just got oxford eyeshot nano indicators(you do need the resister to keep normal flash, but it comes with it so that's ok ive wired them to the stock leads so they'll just be plug and play but not happy with how small the washers are so might pick up some larger ones they really are small though, top to bottom they're smaller than 1 pence coin and just fitted the asv clutch lever

as not finished fitting the indicators still got the whole back end off lol...

#43 ·
brmoore i may be wrong but i think what you may be on about is this
i think with my oem relay if i wanted to put my hazards on i had to turn the ignition on first and then hazards would work as would indicators( not really ideal imo as if you were to brake down on motorway for eg and you wanted to leave your hazards on for however long to get help etc etc you would have to leave your ignition on key in bike whereas when/if you install an aftermarket led flasher relay not only does it correct your flash rate it also allows your hazards/indicators to work without your ignition been turned on
just have to make sure you dont leave an indicator turned on when you park bike up,mind you i dont think leds use much power
thats what i recall with mine when i unplugged my oem relay and plugged in aftermarket
the aftermarket will also work with any combination of bulbs for eg filiment infront leds in rear all leds,all filiments etc etc
i think mine is a acumen ,ill find out if you want
dont know if that helps or not

#46 ·
looks like acumen have been taken over by acutrac and now sell trackers not relays from what i can see

#49 ·
dont forget im still up for your mids if you need a few quid
oh well done with the relay,good deal ,think i paid getting on for £30

#52 · (Edited)
What was up with the relay I linked for u that was about £11 shipped? Plug and play...its the one I used

You made the wise choice though me thinks :)
Yours wasn't the exact shape/color of the stock one, this one will blend right in there and attach to the same rubber bit the stock one does, but of course im yet to see it, uk legal is 70 flashes per minute i'll see if that's the case(or near enough) when it comes, if it works at all haha

the one i bought looks roughly like this:

PUIG make led indicators so also have a relay but i was thinking shipping from USA will be waiting longer than i want:

http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes...led-flasher-relay-4-pin/c171en/f1-r239-m1677/

#53 ·
my one has a short piece of cable fom relay and then plug but still just drops in that gap/hole where the oem one comes out from

#54 · (Edited)
yea i think your link was the one from M&P, ordered from them in the past they're not bad but in this case i wanted it to fit and attach to all the oem one does, just hope it performs think its coming tomorrow then when i eventually am able to afford proton flushmount fronts i won't need any relays or resisters :shakehand

surely if a relay can accomodate led's and bulbs honda should just make 600rr's with them from stock, even better they should made LED indicators as stock, less power use and brighter, win win, then the battery is leftover to power gucci gear like gear indicators or heated grips without using all the current

that could also be a benefit maybe, i haven't been able to run high beam and heated grips on full it doesnt have the current, luckily the grips lose out(they go intermitant, in terms of heat i see no difference) and the high beam wins or else i'd have a flashing high beam ahha

#55 ·
EU law / Construction and Use requires that the lighting indicators flash at a double rate when a bulb has blown to alert the driver to the problem (though most people don't even realise what it means) and drive around regardless.

This is achieved by the flasher IC contained inside the relay.

All the modified relay does is not link up that part of the circuit, so whatever the load on it, it will only flash at the regular rate. DO not worry about your relay flash speed, it will be fine.

The ability of the relay to flash at double rate will never be tested in an MOT however, will never be checked by police and I'm not 100% sure it's a requirement in the UK.

I could have told you how to modify your original relay to do exactly the same thing if you were willing to cut it open.

Of course we all check all of our lights at the start of each trip as required so we would notice anyway.

As too why they don't use LED's as standard: Cost, additional circuitry required to sense blown bulbs, type approval, not a standard so very few certified parts available, and most people simply don't care...I guess they are a few of the reasons, sure there are more.

Ref yours grips....HID conversion will use a lot less power once fired up, and be brighter as well, giving the grips a better chance

#60 ·
If you have the 4 pin relay FR33-025.

Cut into the relay case, very carefully, and don't go deep. From about 1.5cm to 2.5cm from the top of the relay on the printed side, roughly where you should see >PBT+GF30<. Do not cut deep as the circuit board is only 3-4mm away from the plastic casing.

There you will see the flasher IC chip...its a freescale MC33193:

www.freescale.com/files/analog/doc/data_sheet/MC33193.pdf

I haven't tested this, but simply, and carefully cut pin 7 or the copper track that links it so it's not linked up anymore....that should do the trick. Then test, and glue or fill the hole with silicone to seal it up.

Here is a photo of the relay I just ripped apart to figure it out for you :)

This should be just as easy to do or figure out on a 2 pin relay.

Alternatively the resistor value may be changed but this should work and is by far the easiest way to do it.

#56 ·
mine have to go away. no choice. the aprilia got parked at the end of september cause it needs new tires and id rather just leave the crap ones on it over the winter. then the wifes ninja and the kids mini bikes got stored in october, then in november i parked the vulcan.

i have rode in -8 and got stuck in a snow storm on a 2001 CBR929 with Pirelli SC2 rear and SC1 front. wasnt a good time.

#66 ·
while we were out today my gf thought it would be a good idea to torture ourselves & stop in at Jordan's to look at bikes. while she was getting moist sitting on a gsxr, I spotted this

2011 blade with a little over 3k miles for £7690, if I wasn't skint I would have had that today without hesitation. anyway I figured bret would appreciate it so I posted it here. enjoy

link to it:
http://www.jordansusedbikes.com/pages/used/used-bikes/2011-11-HONDA-CBR-1000cc/26353483.htm#eq1

#67 · (Edited)
while we were out today my gf thought it would be a good idea to torture ourselves & stop in at Jordan's to look at bikes. while she was getting moist sitting on a gsxr, I spotted this

2011 blade with a little over 3k miles for £7690, if I wasn't skint I would have had that today without hesitation. anyway I figured bret would appreciate it so I posted it here. enjoy

link to it:
http://www.jordansusedbikes.com/pages/used/used-bikes/2011-11-HONDA-CBR-1000cc/26353483.htm#eq1
:fyou: haha don't do that unless your buying it for me!!

I'm way ahead, 2012 bike with 3kmiles, £7495...:cruising:

....but yea they going dirt cheap, but all my common sense says keep the 600rr since my insurance costs are coming down, they stay as is if i get a blade...but then i tell myself whats wrong with that, amazing bike for an insurance price i can actually pay...all that grunt for my commuting...i have seen 2009 low miles ones for £6k...ive been offered £4k straight for my bike on part exchange so i could get most of £6k straight off just selling my bike private, makes it hurt even more

i saw a video of a guy who had a 250 and went to test ride a 600rr they didnt have the 2012 one so he jumped on a 2012 blade...he nearly shat himself he said it was 'hard to get off the line' probably thinking it was heavy then his video quickly turns to throttle open and '**** **** **** ****' and then 'brake' and then '**** even the brakes are too good' haha its funny as hell hes generally excited while shitting himself at the same time. in my opinion you can enjoy the effect more if you ride a 750 first to bridge the gap, even if just a test ride of one

look at this:

£5795

Only 9k miles, garaged, fsh, leo vince gp exhaust, some R&G bits, aftermarket screen, tail tidy, cotton reels etc I like white on bikes, the 2012 white and red is nice, it goes with my gear which has bits of red and white

Finally took the battery out to put on a trickle charger. Was too lazy the past few weeks to take it out

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

I leave mine while on charge so the HISS 2 keeps ticking away and the bikes ready to go just by unplugging it and closing the solo cowl :) I rode it on the weekend to go get some fuses.

#68 ·
Did 20miles today, its wet but temp wise as long as you don't ride after 6pm, not too cold :shakehand just 2 or 3 weeks off the bike and it's great to have a little ride back on it again...sounds great, goes great, love it too much to stay off

#69 ·
gonna be even better tommorow,14 degrees-ish by all accounts,

#70 ·
Yea if I can get financed for a fireblade I may be getting that...still in two minds about it, but either way im doubting I can get financed, not through bad credit, through the fact i have no credit history at all, don't do credit cards and the like

#71 ·
Its not even a cold winter (as yet) Dont think I will be putting mine away as I think its just gonna get warmer... hopefully!!

Regards your indicators, I installed LED integrated tail lights (doubled up with 2 new rear stalk indicators) I put a RELAY not resisters, connected to the blue wiring loom on the left front of the bike,

Is anyone aware that If i wanted to replace the Halogen indicators on the front (not stock) with LED ones that the blue loom with the relay will keep the flash accurate, or does that loom just control the rear?

#72 ·
Its not even a cold winter (as yet) Dont think I will be putting mine away as I think its just gonna get warmer... hopefully!!

Regards your indicators, I installed LED integrated tail lights (doubled up with 2 new rear stalk indicators) I put a RELAY not resisters, connected to the blue wiring loom on the left front of the bike,

Is anyone aware that If i wanted to replace the Halogen indicators on the front (not stock) with LED ones that the blue loom with the relay will keep the flash accurate, or does that loom just control the rear?
that was near to my problem, you may find the halogens being bulb not LED will mean you may need to start modding the loom again, i think all the relays are assuming all LED front and rear, what I found out with 2 i ordered anyway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.