Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

oil at very top of window

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  qteter 
#1 ·
I tried searching but am relegated to using my iPhone. it has trouble using the search field for some reason. I apologize for a redundant question.

I just changed my oil for the first time on my bike. it's a 12 600rr. when the bike was on the stand, the oil was 3/4 the way up between the lower and upper marks. when I put it down and balanced it upright. the bottom of the meniscus of oil is approx 2-3mm above the top line. I can just barely see air at the top of the window. hopefully my crude drawing will load so you can see what I mean.

my question is: is this too much oil? enough to do damage and/or get frothy? I suppose I could turkey baster some out of the feed hole but I'd rather not if I'm totally in the clear. thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
that's not enough to do any damage. Don't even worry about it. When you're about a quart or two over that's when you risk blowing some seals due to too much oil in the crank. You're fine. If it bothers you then you could always drain a bit out so that oil level is in the middle of the window.

edit: the guys who do wheelies a lot usually run a quart over the full mark and they are all fine.

#8 · (Edited)
guys ! let keep it clean untill we have at least a page of ingo then we can start blasting boobies. we dont want the net to have thread of troll at the time. thats u monkay

Hmmmmmmm.........

#9 ·
If you have entirely flushed the oil, and replaced it with new oil, you should look for the capacity people usually fill it up to. Some people fill 3 quarts, others might only need 2 quarts. For me, when I did my oil change, I did 3 quarts and it filled up fine. After running the bike a bit, you saw the window (while on a stand) that the oil had probably gone down slightly. That's just because the oil is now in the engine.

However, if you filled it up properly it should be a full window again after you start up the bike again.

As long as you don't overfill the bike, it's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
after entirely flushing the oil, I initially added exactly 3 quarts. after following the steps outlined in the owners manual, I checked the oil and found it to be just above the top line on the window. last night I loosened the pan plug and let maybe 8 ounces of oil drip out. I'll check it again once I can wheel the bike out of my living room haha. sitting cold, the oil is about 3/4 up the sight glass

#11 ·
Posting to post!!!

#14 ·
^^^^ Hahaha Wooooo!!!!!!!!!! You sir knows what's up!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.