Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Insurance on A Track Bike

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Thedon757 
#1 ·
Do people insure their track bikes? I have my bike in my garage in a gated community. I quit street riding for now and wondering if people insure heir track bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#4 ·
My policy will cover my bike fully along with aftermarket parts even on the track for track days. It must NOT be a timed event or considered a race then I will not be covered.

Progressive Insurance and the bike does have a valid title.

#29 ·
My policy will cover my bike fully along with aftermarket parts even on the track for track days. It must NOT be a timed event or considered a race then I will not be covered.

Progressive Insurance and the bike does have a valid title.

You might want to take a look at your policy. I'm fairly certain that progressive got rid of the "timed event" wording and changed it to events held on a "closed course". Also pretty sure that Geico did the same. But policies change by state so just read the policy thoroughly.

#6 ·
Trackdays should be fine for insurance. Not a timed event.

Mine was insured until it became a racebike. At that time no more inspection or registration.

I have not found any insurance companies that will cover a racebike, even for theft, so if anyone knows a company that will give me theft/fire coverage I would love to know.

#9 ·
A lot of, uh, interesting statements in this thread. Fair warning, insurance investigators are not stupid and have voided claims after internet searches.

Speak directly with your agent, or the agent handling your policy. They are sometimes vague on this, and if you don't have it IN WRITING and iron clad, there's lots of ways for them to not cover you. For the most part, I've heard coverage for track days (NOT racing, NOT a timed event) is extremely rare and is the exception, not the rule.

My agent told me I was covered, but the subtext was that this was not SOP - agents have some amount of leeway with rates, coverage, etc. which is why you want to speak with your agent about this. If you rely on fine print from insurance docs you're gonna get burnt when you go to them with your hands out.

Also note, if you crash, it would be covered under Collision - as your fault - and your premium increases could effectively void any payout you get, making coverage more like a loan (you may even lose money in the long run.)

My track bike I just have comprehensive/theft on. I also have it registered as 'Non-Op', which, believe it or not, makes it illegal for me to transport it over public roads.

#12 ·
I guess I was just telling a strange anecdote about Non-op; Cali law states that overland transport of non-op vehicles can only be done when obtaining a waiver that makes it legal for a couple days from the DMV. In spirit, this law was written regarding cars/trucks; motorcycles in the United States are so statistically low that they fall through many legal loopholes, or are subjected to laws meant for passenger/wheeled vehicles. So tow away; just fly low and slow.

#15 ·
I should clarify;

An insurance company may insure anything they want to; it's the usage that is the main concern, in most cases. If you have a no-title bike with no VIN, you may run into issues. These things get worked through when you first apply for the insurance, of course.

Coverage for actual racing/timed events is either nonexistent or something offered by bespoke insurers for huge sums of money.

#16 ·
I took mine off the street and dropped to state minimum, to make sure it's covered against theft. If it has a VIN it can be insured. I pay $10/month when I was paying $60 for full coverage

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 ·
I had originally thought the same; we had this discussion on another forum I'm part of. The actual letter of the law doesn't even make exception for transportation, it is still illegal to move a non-opped vehicle around without a special exclusion notice (at least, over public roads.)

"PNO

PNO means that the vehicle will not be driven, towed, stored, or parked on public roads or highways for the entire registration year."

and

"Operating Your PNO Vehicle

If the vehicle is on PNO status with DMV and the vehicle needs to be operated for:

One Day—to move the vehicle from its current storage place to a new storage place, or for repairs, alteration, vehicle inspection, smog inspection, weighing, construction (for an incomplete vehicle), or for its permanent wrecking or dismantling. You may obtain a Vehicle Moving Permit (REG 172) at a DMV office without paying renewal fees."

Crazy, huh?

#20 ·
ok, so you wreck. You get paid out and being a declared track junkie you get another bike.

Your premiums then go up a ridiculous amount, you're penalized for like 3years (f you insurance co backed by the gov't and who make record profits every quarter). When does having state minimums (ie. $80/year insurance) make more sense than paying a ridiculous amount of $ for track bike insurance?

I think full insurance makes more sense for theft than anything else. idk. I can fix and build anything and have a garage tools and experience to do so. Not everyone does. Maybe this applies more to track only bikes that can be a little less than pretty. A street/track bike could go either way - what do you think?

#21 ·
I think, if you crash it, you're almost always better off repairing it yourself/out of pocket than making a claim (by crash it, I mean you at fault, covered by Collision)

Also, pro-tip: Never crash/lay it down to avoid hitting an animal. Always hit the animal. Then it's comprehensive, not collision.

#22 ·
I have full coverage on my track bike, but it is street registered. I'm probably going to lower it down to liability though seeing as it is a 2007.

As for limits, if you're curious, I have 100K/300K. No way some sue happy @$$ tool is going after my house because I didn't have enough insurance to cover for damages.

#28 ·
State Farm for example has a clause that pretty much states that coverage is excluded while the vehicle is on a "track designed primarily for racing or high-speed drivinng".

So that would exclude track days. I'm pretty sure all of the big name insurers (progressive, Geico, etc) are doing the same thing.

This is too important of a topic for you to beleive what people on this board tell you. So just read the policy. I'm pretty certain that most insurance companies have closed the track day loophole.

#31 · (Edited)
this is actually a simple question with a simple answer. would you let someone you dont know take your bike on the track, ride the balls off it, and if they wreck it, then you pay for everything......i didnt think so, and neither will the companies. if you plan on taking your bike to the track, expect to wreck it. if you want your street baby to stay nice and perrty. then get a track bike and properly equip it for wrecks.and be ready to pay to play. end of story

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.