Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How long will a 600RR last?

49K views 58 replies 50 participants last post by  Nuttynu 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was now how long is the lifespan expectancy or an 07-08 bike. I know they havnt been around long enough to start dieing on people, but hoe many miles should I expect out of one of these machines?

I figure with such a high revving engine it can't last as long as a car, like 100,000.

Jw cause Im buying a used bike and dont want to buy something that will on last another 10,000 miles.

#32 ·
I was shocked when my crank bearings went at 38k miles
it was only my 3rd track day ever and 90% of the miles were street miles
I though I was taking care of my motor
breaking it it on dino oil and switching to full synthetic at about 6k miles
and changing the oil ever 3k miles
I used regular honda oil for the break in and switched to repsol 10-40 full syn and stuck with that the whole time

#33 ·
computer controlled precision machining is the reason why these engines can last so long with minimal wear/loss

the days were you had to perform extended break in procedures are pretty much over, by the first hundred miles or so the engine has basically settled in and is ready for the real stuff

Reactions: Nuttynu
#34 ·
Just an FYI.. a rev limiter is NOT the engines limit of revs, it can keep on climbing. The limiter is there to keep you from you from doing just that. Engines last forever if you take proper care of them.

You won't see it much here in the states, but in 3rd world countries where most cars are imported used cars (like my home country of Dominican Republic) you'll find that a taxi with 500,000 + miles is not a big deal.

Just keep up with the maintenance. Besides its a Honda shouldn't that be peace of mind.

#40 ·
Bikes last as long as they stay up on two wheels, which usually isn't very long :)

My 09 has 24,000 before I got rid of it. My 07 has 23,000 on it. Neither bike felt like they had more than 10,000 on it at all. The engine itself is probably good to last over 150,000 miles with normal use.

#47 ·
depends on how you treat the bike & your annual mileage

it's not even really 'high-revving' oem for a 600. the limiter could be raised to 16k w/out any real additional stress to the motor. so it's actually being ridden gently if revved to redline & shifting to next gear @ 15k

you do your part w/regular oil changes, dinosaur or synthetic & use quality fuel. keep that air filter up to date too & the engine will probably out last your interest & possibly your life depending on how many miles you log a year. ie i've seen 03-06 6rr w/over 250k miles more than a few times.
all the riders have done is regular maintenance & ridden them like any sport bike should be ridden. revved to near red-line & shifted to next gear.
most valve checks revealed no need for adjustment to well beyond 100k miles w/most of these bikes too. so next time you see a high mileage bike ask what they've done & about the valves. the two answers will also tell you more about how well engineered these bikes are now days. most brands too, not just honda.

the 07/08 has been their best motor released to date
my race/street bike can rev to 16.5k & i've put over 10k track only already, w/about 10-12k street miles mostly canyon/coastal/mountain miles. no real commuting or running errands, few freeway miles just to get to back-roads.
engine seem to be making best power right now. so am thinking i should dyno again & see if it's really improved or not. takes a bit to break-in good enough for maximum power output over the life of an engine. most tuners say that motors make their best horsepower from 15k-65-80k miles. this is mild or no port job, shaving head minimal amount; if done @ all, & copper/metal gasket. but oem gasket is good enough

keep the motor oem unless you're trying to race some 600cc open superbike class, then it'd be worth cracking the block, otherwise the oem motors are more than adequate for any spirited riding or racing.

how many miles do you ride a year?

#51 ·
it's not even really 'high-revving' oem for a 600. the limiter could be raised to 16k w/out any real additional stress to the motor. so it's actually being ridden gently if revved to redline & shifting to next gear @ 15k

you do your part w/regular oil changes, dinosaur or synthetic & use quality fuel. keep that air filter up to date too & the engine will probably out last your interest & possibly your life depending on how many miles you log a year. ie i've seen 03-06 6rr w/over 250k miles more than a few times.
all the riders have done is regular maintenance & ridden them like any sport bike should be ridden. revved to near red-line & shifted to next gear.
most valve checks revealed no need for adjustment to well beyond 100k miles w/most of these bikes too. so next time you see a high mileage bike ask what they've done & about the valves. the two answers will also tell you more about how well engineered these bikes are now days. most brands too, not just honda.

the 07/08 has been their best motor released to date
my race/street bike can rev to 16.5k & i've put over 10k track only already, w/about 10-12k street miles mostly canyon/coastal/mountain miles. no real commuting or running errands, few freeway miles just to get to back-roads.
engine seem to be making best power right now. so am thinking i should dyno again & see if it's really improved or not. takes a bit to break-in good enough for maximum power output over the life of an engine. most tuners say that motors make their best horsepower from 15k-65-80k miles. this is mild or no port job, shaving head minimal amount; if done @ all, & copper/metal gasket. but oem gasket is good enough

keep the motor oem unless you're trying to race some 600cc open superbike class, then it'd be worth cracking the block, otherwise the oem motors are more than adequate for any spirited riding or racing.

how many miles do you ride a year?
Good info man.

#53 ·
my 09 model is hitting 60k this coming yr end.. still doing fine.. i guess it will last u for at least 100k if u take good care of them..

i have fren who is still riding old school cbr 929, cbr400. I guess honda engine is build to last..

#54 ·
My 09 CBR bought new now has 38K km's (around 26K miles) and is running perfectly well. I am not the most vigilant when it comes maintenance and have missed oil changes but this seems to have very little effect on the engine as it pulls perfectly well when compared to some buddies 08 and 07 RR that have a third of the mileage on them.

This is not just for the engine but most other components as well and the bike gets a mix of city, mountain and track riding.

The only issue is that now that it has crossed the 20K km's point its resale value drops considerably as people are used to finding used bikes that are older than mine in age but have one third of the mileage on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.