Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Novice track rider

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  CK_32 
#1 ·
After two track days at two different tracks in NZ, I decide to edit a short video to show, just for fun...hope everyone will enjoy it and maybe point out what I can do to improve in my future track days :)

#3 · (Edited)
I just started riding track this year (quit riding street, atleast for now) and can't get enough. It's hard to tell from the video, but doesn't seem like you're getting off the bike enough. Also, WTF!! is up with that "control rider" bumping you?!?!? Doesn't seem like an organization I would want to ride with after seeing that, imho.

Anyways, keep at it! I've been sucking a little less each time I get out there, lol! It's sooo addicting!!

#4 ·
I went to tally just 2 weekends ago and it was awesome, I needed help on getting off the bike more and some of my lines was off. Thanks to xrated on the forum, he is a awesome instructor. But I loved my first track day and can't wait to do ALOT more. But op yeah him bumping you like that is not good. Did he even say anything to you after that

#8 ·
I did my first track day September 29th and 30th. I'm addicted too cant wait for warmer weather so I can go again. If I were you I'd take those side mirrors off they seem like a big distraction. Also it looks like the balls of your feel could come off the pegs alittle more they look a little too tucked to the bike

That's what the instructors told me atleast

#9 ·
Looks to me as though he drifted into the CRs line of travel while overtaking the other rider.

One thing I would suggest is to practice just bending your inside elbow, it will allow you to get your head down more. Body position is the type of thing where there is many different rights and wrongs. If your foot is comfortable where it is, done change it. I roll my foot off the edge of the peg as in the picture posted above, but some people dont. But also don't be afraid to try different things.

You definitely seem to need to work on your lines, but it is hard to tell from the video, and I dont know that track.

Getting the line right is the first thing you should worry about, body position second. You can go slow on a fast line, but you cant go fast on a slow line. Also, PREDICTABILITY!!!!!! dont change your line mid corner, if you blow your line, keep on that bad line, someone might be behind you taking advantage of your mistake, so if you try to correct while they are passing you you will get bumped into again, its not that fun when you are going straight, as you learned, it is even less fun when you are leaned over in a corner.

Most imprtant, HAVE FUN!!!! That is what track days are for. If you are not having fun then something is wrong.

#14 ·
Looks to me as though he drifted into the CRs line of travel while overtaking the other rider.

One thing I would suggest is to practice just bending your inside elbow, it will allow you to get your head down more. Body position is the type of thing where there is many different rights and wrongs. If your foot is comfortable where it is, done change it. I roll my foot off the edge of the peg as in the picture posted above, but some people dont. But also don't be afraid to try different things.

You definitely seem to need to work on your lines, but it is hard to tell from the video, and I dont know that track.

Getting the line right is the first thing you should worry about, body position second. You can go slow on a fast line, but you cant go fast on a slow line. Also, PREDICTABILITY!!!!!! dont change your line mid corner, if you blow your line, keep on that bad line, someone might be behind you taking advantage of your mistake, so if you try to correct while they are passing you you will get bumped into again, its not that fun when you are going straight, as you learned, it is even less fun when you are leaned over in a corner.

Most imprtant, HAVE FUN!!!! That is what track days are for. If you are not having fun then something is wrong.
WTF..? If BP isn't right and you are in over your head on ANY line, you are going to run out of traction! You see it happen on Mulholland all the time.

Work on proper body positioning OP, slow and controlled riding with good BP and speed will come with time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse

#11 ·
thanks for all the positive feedback, and the tips about how can I improve, appropriated.

there are lots of cbr rider around in akl. you will recognize me, as I never saw anyone wearing the same helmet as me. if you do meet me, say hi :)

I love riding in nz. very good atmosphere, every biker nod or wave to each other when they meet on road. not sure is the same everywhere? or just nz?

#13 ·
Definitely not a bad start. Like other people said, try working on getting off the seat a little more and get ur elbow bent and try to "bite the mirror". It all comes in time, keep it up! And i like the video, especially the shot from the swing arm, what did you use to mount the gopro on it?

#18 ·
Thanks, the gopro is mounted on a DIY mount, which I stuck it under the mirror base. so I can take of my mirrors off and still use that mount. I use to mount it on the mirrors, which is the easiest way to get that shot angle. but it will come off with the mirror on the track.

#20 ·
Start the video where you are being recorder from your buddies bike. At 2:04 you begin turn in, then at 2:06 you make a mid corner correction and drift out to the left a little bit. That is being unpredictable, and it is also hurting your progress. Then at corner exit you are not using all of the track. Had you been on the outside of the trackm you could have passed that other rider on the outside where his bad line left you plenty of room to make a safe pass. Outside passes are ALWAYS safer than inside passes, not that there was a turn there, but its just a general rule.

Look at that part of the race track it seems to me that the novice group struggles with the correct line through there.

Looking back at the video I would say it is mutual fault. He tried to avoid the impact, but just couldnt because he was carrying a lot more speed than you and had no where else to go. He should have judged your speed better while approaching you, which would tell me he needs to work on getting his vision up.

Please, do not take this as me attacking you or trying to put you down, I am trying to help.

There is no one correct body position for every corner. Every corner is different. There is also differences between each person, what works for me, may not work for you. That is what you need to learn, not what everyone tells you is right.

Look at this picture, Dane Westby(#5) has a noticably different body position than every other rider. But he is just as fast as the other guys in the picture. Then look at Josh Herring (#8). Two totally different approaches at body position, but the guy with the "better" BP is behind the guy that is not "kissing the mirror".

The fastest line around the track is ALWAYS the same. If you ever get involved in racing you will learn there are different lines, defensive lines, passing lines and race lines, those different lines may require different body position. But that is not the case here.

#24 ·
So you've never heard the term "ride your own ride" before..? Not everyone can run the fast line or feels comfortable doing so. Ya, keep telling me you know what you are talking about..I'm not buying it..lol

#28 ·
I agree with ride your own ride 110%.

But the correct line NEVER changes.

I am not understanding what you are trying to say. Are you saying that the proper line means nothing to someone because they are slow? If you learn the line when you are slow, it becomes second nature when your pace starts to increase.

When I started riding at the track I learned the line at NJMP, now I dont even have to think about it. I might make some changes during a race to set up for a pass or to block someone else from passing, but the fastest way around that racetrack has NEVER changed as long as I have been riding there. The same as body position. The fundamentals need to be put in place in the beginning. All of the aspects of riding must be set forth early on. If you teach someone the correct way around the race track when they are slow, they will not need to be taught later on when they get faster.

You continually try to belittle my ability or discredit my knowledge, but you show nothing to back up your ability to judge me.

#26 ·
this post is getting too serious now...

I dont have much experiences on the track, everyone knows something, I have to respect that, and everyone has their own opinions. Right or wrong, maybe I can judge it later after I done lots of track days, even so, I may not come up with the "right" answer for everyone.

However, I do want to thank everyone that has spend their time to watch the video and trying to help here. I always found this forum full of helpful people.

Enough of talking, cant wait next track day, hope I can post another video for you guys to judge, see is any improvement at all.

#27 ·
just work on one thing at a time mate, everyone is different. you've got some good info so far but obviously you can't do it all at once. personally I felt much more comfortable in the corners after I sorted my BP, probably because I was carrying less lean angle & felt a bit safer about getting on the throttle earlier etc. things will come together but one step at a time

#30 ·
Nice. I'm looking forward to go to the track myself. After watching this video,it just makes me anxious, I want to go now. Lol. Love the video, it's unfortunate n a bit scary the bump b/w both you and other guy, coming outof nowhere. But as long as nobody got hurt its all good. You learn as you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.