Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Replaced fairings and now it wont start FML

8K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  hxccalinip 
#1 ·
What the heck am I forgetting here!
2003 600rr stock

The bike will turn over and I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key, but it wont fire. Initially, after I wired in my new blinkers I started the bike just to make sure it ran and blinkers worked and it fired right up. I turned it off after about 5 seconds. Next, I went to pull the bike out of the garage to move it today and it fired up again for about 3 seconds or so before I stalled #newb. After that it wouldn't start again. I kinda think both times it started up I was just running off the fuel in the lines, and now that the lines are empty the bike wont start.

I unplugged the large blue and large white plug for the front fairing: These have been plugged back in

I took off the tip sensor to get the headlight assembly out of the front fairing: This was never unplugged and I bolted it back up.

I don't have a clue where I should look next??? Help!

#23 ·
Well I put the pos part of the voltmeter to the pos terminal and then stick the neg into each of the little ports in the plug to make sure i've got voltage. Some have voltage and some don't. Only problem I have is idk which should have voltage and which should not; or if they all should!? My buddy is going to swing by in an hour, but I don't have much faith really. I'd rather not take the front fairing off again if I don't have to :(

#24 ·
If I want to check for spark or that there is in fact power going to the spark plus, could I just stick the pos and neg terminals of my voltmeter in one of the white plugs that connects to the spark plug? Then try to start the bike and see if there is voltage. Does this make sense or is there a better way?

P.s. it's my birthday today and all I really want is for this bike to start!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
Tried sticking the pos and neg prongs of my voltmeter into the white plug that goes to my spark plug, but the prongs wouldn't fit because the holes were too small.

I then ripped off the front end again and sure enough the tip sensor is all wired in and mounted as it should be. Anyway I can test if this is bad or somehow the problem?

Attachments

#26 ·
You said you thought it was running off fuel in lines and now might be empty. Did you pull the gas tank or tip it? Try turning key on and hit start. Don't crank too long. If it don't start right up turn key back off. Do this on/start/off a few times. may need to get fuel back in lines. Killswitch to run position? Not sure if fuel pump should prime if killswitch is off so spitballing there.

#27 ·
Yea I flipped the tank up to get a bolt I dropped out from on top of the motor. I put it back in its initial position and primed the bike by flipping the kill switch on and off a few times. No dice.

I've got the front end off again and I'm going to try and bypass the tip sensor to see if that's the problem. Only issue is I can't get the stinkin thing unplugged!

#28 ·
I shorted out the tip sensor and it did exactly what the video shows. I then took out the short and plugged it back in like normal and same thing. If I give it throttle it will try and start but wont stay running. Doesn't really sound like it's running right either...help please :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.