Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

A collection of the best TT videos combined

13K views 145 replies 62 participants last post by  JohnDoubleR 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tt 3D Closer to the Edge TT Movie*

A documentary by Simon McGregor Wood on the Isle of man TT

Short Race videos*

#29 ·
he wasnt being sarcastic, while the IoM demonstrates the speed of those machines going in straight stretches with minimal turns, motogp requires true skill to not only keep the bike up but to go into turns with precision and speed. that's skill to me. I dont doubt the skill of IoM, but they do really demonstrate their balls' size more than their skill set

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#33 ·
he wasnt being sarcastic, while the IoM demonstrates the speed of those machines going in straight stretches with minimal turns, motogp requires true skill to not only keep the bike up but to go into turns with precision and speed. that's skill to me. I dont doubt the skill of IoM, but they do really demonstrate their balls' size more than their skill set
So much BS, you've obviously never seen the TT. It's far more than fast, straight runs. I think you're confusing it with the "experts" here that post high speed on the freeway threads.

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
im going to have to disagree with this as there are a **** ton of turns at various speeds all of which require just as much skill and twice the concentration than pretty much any turn on a racetrack.

i think turning while in the air at 140 is probably more difficult than most any turn in moto gp and the only track ive ever seen where its an option is cadwell park british superbike i believe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGuinness_(motorcycle_racer)
id say he is just as talented as any moto gp rider

btw i love moto gp as well

imo its like racing one of the faster motogp tracks with greater repercussions for mistakes

cheers

#36 ·
Wow NINE riders were killed in 2005, and another 5 in 2011. i dont think there has been a single year without a death. No doubt these guys fully understand what they are signing up for but my god....True bucket list experience there.

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why is anyone trying to belittle one these types of racing over the other? Anyone here a TT or GP racer? ...*crickets*... Funny thing, both the GP and TT racers give each other massive, massive respect and have a good idea of the skill and bravery each requires. I don't know. If I were given the choice to have to keep Jorge Lorenzo in sight around a lap of Jerez or John McGuiness around the IOM mountain course I'd chicken out and take the safer of those two impossible tasks. Jorge would leave me for dead by the exit of the first corner. McG would leave me dead in about the same. The only difference is in the first I'd be picking little bits of gravel rock out of my boots and in the second someone else would be picking little bits of me out of the rocks.

Less well known but raced by many of the TT guys is the Macau GP. Equally ball shriveling as the IOM but in a different way. This one's done through dense urban Hong Kong streets where there is nothing but walls of steel Armco the whole way round to keep you alert.

#38 ·
Why is anyone trying to belittle one these types of racing over the other? Anyone here a TT or GP racer? ...*crickets*... Funny thing, both the GP and TT racers give each other massive, massive respect and have a good idea of the skill and bravery each requires. I don't know. If I were given the choice to have to keep Jorge Lorenzo in sight around a lap of Jerez or John McGuiness around the IOM mountain course I'd chicken out and take the safer of those two impossible tasks. Jorge would leave me for dead by the exit of the first corner. McG would leave me dead in about the same. The only difference is in the first I'd be picking little bits of gravel rock out of my boots and in the second someone else would be picking little bits of me out of the rocks.

Less well known but raced by many of the TT guys is the Macau GP. Equally ball shriveling as the IOM but in a different way. This one's done through dense urban Hong Kong streets where there is nothing but walls of steel Armco the whole way round to keep you alert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8VDE1IS5M&feature=fvwrel
First, well said.

Second: that Hong Kong track is terrifyingly awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#44 · (Edited)
It's funny how some ppl behind the keyboard can start attacking others by words which otherwise could not be done when confronted. Each have their own set of different views and using insults to oppose to others is just a way of showing your narrow minds.
But yes that to me is "minimal curves" compared to any motoGP racetrack. By no mean have I disrespected the IoM riders, it's cool and dangerous, anyone going in a turn at +100MPH must've have had skills and knows what he's doing. Had I disregard that fact. No. but to each of his own beliefs.

#42 ·
I think everything is cool!!! Turtles, trees, old stuff, broken vacuums, homeless people, turtles, nickles, old people, sandwiches, brooms, shiny things, anti freeze!!!! :D

#47 · (Edited by Moderator)
To each his own beliefs indeed. No intent on insult here. You are very much entitled to your opinion but I don't know what you're trying to say here and what exactly that has to do with the skill and bravery to race in either of these top level events. They're very different. I don't think I could make a call which requires more of a rider's skill or mental focus. As I said above the riders of both give each other the utmost respect and to me that about says it all. Many MotoGP riders make the trek to see the TT and always come away humbled often saying they could never do that. On the other hand most racing enthusiasts know that GP riders and their machines are literally pushing the boundaries of what is physically possible to make a motorbike go around an asphalt circuit. To say you're wrong to someone on the internet is about the most useless exercise there is. I might say it's a bit ignorant to measure MotoGP against TT racing in most any aspect. If we're trying to drill into specifics, yes maybe the TT course is not as tight and twisty as SOME of the tracks MotoGP visits. Places like Laguna Seca and Valencia are so short and twisty that even many of the riders call them crappy little mickey mouse tracks. Meaning that they are so short and twisty that they are almost unsuitable for MotoGP bikes. Now places like Phillips Island or Brno are more like short versions of the TT. Fast and flowing. Another thing to consider in the difference between the racing is that most GP tracks are very short, averaging 3-5 miles long with 14-16 or so turns. The TT is 37 miles long! You're not hitting the same handful of markers every other minute. That's a lot to process. What also cannot be overstated is that in GP's there is a very real but marginal possibility of being killed or maimed for life in making an error. In the TT the is a very real but marginal possibility of surviving or escaping being maimed for life in making an error. You put up stone walls, telephone poles, houses, and trees around any GP track and you would see the lean angles, depth of braking, and speeds come waaaay down. Here's a great video of 1 lap at speed around the IOM circuit. Remember, this is just one lap. At the end of the video imagine doing it 6 more times at the same pace to be competitive. If you love motorcycle racing you're a fan of the TT. You just don't know it yet.

#49 · (Edited)
PDubRR, I like the way how you approach the dotnet, that's appreciated but the thread started with comparing which one is cooler didnt it? I showed my pov, and yes I was once awe by the IoM vids until a rider friend of mine past away last summer. Before i drill too deep into my personal life, I just want to repeat myself, i never dis anyone in IoM, or maybe some other dudes on here who loves to insult ppl thought that I did. For me, I love to watch motogp more than IoM now due to one simple fact: death toll is low and that there's very minimal chance of putting anyone else at risk other than the rider himself. I would hate to go that way so does anyone else. For now enjoy what you belief gentlements, ladies, and....
TheX: maybe it is dangerous, but at least I know I dont talk smack about ppl opinion behind my PC at the first chance i have.

#50 ·
If you've never watched TT closer to the edge, you really need to get it watched. Gives a good insight into the minds of the racers and the effects on their families etc as well as having mindblowing footage. I saw it in the cinema in 3D which was sweet. The TT should be on any bikers bucketlist IMHO

#51 ·

Gonna siphon some of the hate/anger out of this thread with this bideo!!

#52 ·
^ lol you're great, that's the successful mindset. I noticed ppl keep mentioning about putting TT on their bucket list. I always thought of that to be an event for advance riders who spent their lives devoting to this sport, same as motoGP riders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.