Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

06 Track Bike Build

15K views 115 replies 40 participants last post by  jbuilder 
#1 ·
So I picked up an 06 600RR for $600 with the idea of making it into a track bike by the start of the riding season. I'm going to try and document the build in this thread.

Here's what I started with.... no engine as you can see and not much bodywork. The engine was obviously an issue but the bodywork didn't matter since I will be buying race bodywork for the bike anyway.

Once I got it home and removed a few things I had it to this stage. It was at this point I really started going through the whole bike looking for things I might have missed on my initial inspection.

See less See more
#2 ·
Doh, first big find. Rear rim is trashed.

Found one on ebay for $100 so not too bad. Need to figure out if I can use the tires for a track day or two. I think they should be ok... most of the wear is in the center and the outside of the tread is fairly new.

Next thing I found was the footpeg bracket was cracked when the previous owner layed it down.

Shouldn't be a big deal to find a replacement.

#3 ·
One of the bonuses of this bike was an uncracked headlight. I'll be able to recoup some money by selling it off.

I spent the day today tearing the rest of the bike down and worked on cleaning everything and inspecting everything. The last thing the p.o. said to me was he had "dismantled everything just for fun" so that's why a total teardown is necessary :)

I also found a motor today! It's an 06 motor that has been compression tested from a wrecker. The valve cover is cracked but I have a replacement from the spare parts I got with this bike so it should work out perfectly.

Also on order is a Scorpion exhaust slip-on, throttle cables, rear brake lever, Clymer manual, safety wire pliers and swingarm spools/sliders.

Will probably be a week or so before the engine arrives but that is the thing on the install list. After the engine is in I will get the swingarm back on and install the wheels etc. etc.

First parcel arrived yesterday... nice new set of levers. Nothing fancy but they will do.

#8 ·
I give you full props for this.... By the time you spent all the $$$ to put it back on asphalt you probably would have been close to buying one road ready but at least your building it your way!! $600 for the frame etc is worth it so keep us posted and good luck.

#13 ·
No new pics but my "new to me" motor is on it's way and I worked out a deal with another dot net member for some race bodywork.

Now I just have to play the waiting game while everything is in the mail. Motor is supposed to be delivered the 7th.

I inspected my swingarm yesterday and found the oil seals on the swingarm are pretty ragged so my local Honda dealership is checking into a seal and bearing kit for me. Also got them to order a front axle pinch bolt since one of the bolts got ground down a fair bit when the PO laid the bike down.

One question I have that hopefully someone can answer.... does the stock wiring harness have a quick disconnect between the main harness and the subframe harness on an 06? From what I've read it's supposed to but my harness definitely does not. I'm wondering if it's an aftermarket harness because there is a sticker on it that says made in China with a bar code. Any thoughts?

#17 ·
Just realized this thread should probably be in the builds section of the forum so if a mod wants to move it be my guest!

Got a delivery card in the mail today, not sure which part has shown up but I will go pick it up tomorrow and report back. Hopefully it's my exhaust :)

#22 ·
Ok, so an exciting day in the shipping/receiving dept. First I had a massive box waiting for me when I got home. Thanks to Carbon_600 for a beautiful set of race bodywork!

Next I had a delivery at the post office.... I know what this is :)

$199 and it's brand new, pretty good deal. The PO decided he wanted to try and take the baffles out of the stock muffler and took a grinder to the can and destroyed it so that's why I needed a replacement.

Oooooo... Pretty haha

Tomorrow I am going to go pick up my engine just across the border at International Falls. Then I will finally be able to start putting things back together!

#24 ·
More waiting on parts.... ordered some Woodcraft frame sliders from bluestreakracing.ca - should be in next week then I can finish bolting in the engine. Swingarm bearings and seals should probably be in tomorrow so I can work on that.

Picked up some insulation so I can finish insulating my garage. Will heat up much better when that is done :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.