Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

CBR600RRA Build Thread

288K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Purchased new from Honda in late 2011 the bike arrived in HRC colours with no more than the pre-delivery inspection miles on the clock in completely standard trim with no aftermarket parts fitted. Since then the CBR has had a raft of different modifications made to it; some being simply aesthetic and but most for outright performance on track. The intent has always been to build the CBR to UK Superstock specification for both road and track use. In its current form and specification the CBR is pretty much race ready and all the major performance parts have now been added.

Road:

Track:

To navigate through the many posts simply click on a modification listed below to access the relevant page within the build thread. The majority of modifications are listed and there is a wealth of other information and pictures on how the CBR has evolved. Hopefully, this thread will prove useful and interesting to some and I will continue to update the thread in the future.

Modification List:

Engine and Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Bodywork
Misc.

See less See more
#194 ·
Gilles AXB Chain Adjusters

I've finally found the time to fit my new chain adjusters this weekend. I bought the AXB adjusters more for aesthetic reasons than anything else and now they are fitted they look so much better than the OEM ones. As mentioned previously they come with an alignment scale which affixes to the swingarm behind the adjuster on both sides. They are more accurate to use than the standard ones and wheel alignment and adjusting the chain was pretty quick when putting the rear wheel back on. The other positive is that they match my FX Rearsets nicely so all in all I'm happy.

#198 ·
I've finally found the time to fit my new chain adjusters this weekend. I bought the AXB adjusters more for aesthetic reasons than anything else and now they are fitted they look so much better than the OEM ones. As mentioned previously they come with an alignment scale which affixes to the swingarm behind the adjuster on both sides. They are more accurate to use than the standard ones and wheel alignment and adjusting the chain was pretty quick when putting the rear wheel back on. The other positive is that they match my FX Rearsets nicely so all in all I'm happy.

looks good Ry, so you actaully adjust the same way as oem though correct?

#195 ·
Power Commander V

This weekend has been spent mainly installing the small collection of items that have been sitting in my garage with this part the priority. On the face of it it's actually quite easy to install a Power Commander V and the instructions and pictures are fairly simple to follow.

Given the compact nature of the CBR600RR however, it makes the whole process rather time consuming. After spending a bit of time removing the left side fairing panels and carefully lifting the tank actually plugging in the PCV to the lower injectors is straight forward. Once thats done the throttle position sensor and O2 eliminator is connected the installation is complete. Then it's just a case of securing the wiring and tidying everything up before reassembling the fairings.

#196 ·
K&N Performance Air Filter

Whilst installing the PCV, and with the tank cover off the bike, I have replaced the stock air filter and have now installed the K&N one. Again patience is required as getting to the air filter is time consuming particularly when accessing some of the more difficult to reach screws. With the installation of the air filter the CBR is now prepped and ready for mapping next week. I'm actually quite looking forward to getting the bike on the Dyno and see what improvements, particularly to the fuelling, can be made.

#199 ·
Whilst installing the PCV, and with the tank cover off the bike, I have replaced the stock air filter and have now installed the K&N one. Again patience is required as getting to the air filter is time consuming particularly when accessing some of the more difficult to reach screws. With the installation of the air filter the CBR is now prepped and ready for mapping next week. I'm actually quite looking forward to getting the bike on the Dyno and see what improvements, particularly to the fuelling, can be made.
:+1: also lookn forward to it :)

#197 ·
Update - CBR600RR Modification Thread

Going into the winter here is an updated modification list:

• Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Chain Guard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Exhaust Guard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Heel Guards
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Rear Mudguard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Side Panels
  • Akrapovic Titanium Slip-on
  • ASV C5 Brake/Clutch Levers
  • Brembo SC Road/Track Brake Pads
  • Bridgestone S20
  • Datatag
  • Gilles AXB Chain Adjusters
  • Gilles FX Rearsets
  • Healtech GIPRO DS Gear Indicator
  • Hel Performance Front/Rear Brake Lines
  • HM RL Quickshifter
  • Honda Racing Carbon Fuel Cap Cover
  • Honda Racing Carbon Fuel Tank Trim
  • Honda Racing Carbon Meter Cover
  • Honda Racing Carbon Rear Cowl Trim
  • Honda Racing Carbon Top Yoke Cover
  • Honda Racing OE Seat Cowl
  • HRC Fast Action Throttle & Cables
  • HRC Oil Filler Cap
  • HRC Oil Sump Bolt
  • HRC Rear Brake Reservoir
  • K&N Performance Air Filter
  • K-Tech Suspension 9.0N Fork Springs
  • Power Commander V
  • R&G Aero Crash Protectors
  • R&G Cotton Reels
  • R&G FE
  • R&G Fork Protectors
  • R&G Frame Inserts
  • Renthal Hard Anodised Front/Rear Sprockets
  • Renthal Road Race Grips (120mm Medium Compound)
  • Stompgrips
  • Watsen Design Flushmount Indicators

#204 ·
wish i had as much room under my rear seat/cowl,mine is full up with alarm system,dont have enough room for even a pack of cigs or mobile phone let alone a power commander

#207 · (Edited)
Dynojet Results

Here are the results of several hours on the Dyno today. For perspective I'm running an Akrapovic slip-on and K&N Performance Air Filter using the same Dynojet. The results from today's mapping are in blue whilst those from the original power run conducted back in August are in red:

The overall peak figures are as follows:

Peak Power: 110.5bhp
Peak Torque: 45.6Nm

The Dyno chart below shows power output at a given throttle opening:

The CBR now feels so much smoother across the entire rev range and the fuelling is now sorted. I was originally not expecting any increase in peak power or torque as put simply I'm not running a full system. The improvements are however, a huge surprise with a healthy increase of power and torque across the rev range which is certainly noticeable when riding. Considering the aim was primarily to address fuelling the tuner has done a superb job and I'm extremely happy with the results.

#208 ·
whereabouts did you get the tuning done at ry
thanks

#210 · (Edited)
Winter - CBR600RR Modification Thread

With the CBR now mapped the bike is now going away for the winter. The weather here is starting to deteriorate and work commitments likely mean that I won't get much more riding in. Aesthetically, there is little else I want to do to the bike as I'm happy with how the CBR looks. The focus for winter modifications is performance but limiting it to what would be deemed acceptable within Superstock 600 rules. I have no intention of going racing again but it will give me a backdrop to work to during the off season and is a good way of keeping costs down. The CBR is already a great bike so any changes will be subtle with the aim of complimenting the bike and improving its ability on track, however, some of the planned modifications will also benefit it on the road.

I will post updates over the coming winter months...

#212 ·
Winter

Normally I would ride until at least the end of October or until I see the first evidence of road salt being used and then the bike would go away. This year I have resided to the fact that the CBR has had to go away slightly earlier. It's not necessarily a bad thing as the winter modifications can begin...

#213 ·
Winter

I picked this collection of cleaning products up today in preparation for this weekend’s deep clean and polish.

Before the bike is put away I tend to remove the fairings and give everything a good clean before reassembling and polishing so it’s spotless to work on over the off-season. It’s also a good opportunity to check everything over; slightly obsessive perhaps but the CBR is going to be off the road for at least three to four months so in my opinion its worth it. That and the fact I find it easier to work on a clean and sorted bike.

#217 ·
Dynojet

I'm really pleased with the performance gain but more so with the smoothness of the throttle response. The only real way to get any more of a noticeable power increase is to fit a full system. I may fit one eventually but for the time being I'm happy with how the fuelling and power is and would rather spend the money elsewhere.

#219 ·
Honda Racing Carbon Tank Pad - CBR600RR Modification Thread

I picked this up yesterday to protect the paintwork on my tank. As its a Honda Racing accessory it matches the other carbon parts perfectly. I will post up a picture once I've affixed it to the tank.

Honda Part No: 08P61-KAZ-800B

#220 · (Edited)
Tyreart Marker

After a few weeks away I've managed to get back into the garage and finally add some detailing to my Bridgestone S20 tyres. I think it looks pretty good and importantly it doesn't look obtrusive in any way. With hindsight if I were to do this again I would do it when both the front and rear wheels are off to make it easier and less time consuming.

#221 ·
Honda Racing Carbon Tank Pad

Today has been fairly productive and after giving the CBR a polish I have fitted my new tank pad. Whilst it matches all the other carbon parts well I've mainly fitted it to protect the paint more than anything else.

#222 ·
Tyreart Marker

On closer inspection of this years MotoGP bikes they not only have the Bridgestone name embellished in white on the tyre wall but also the Battlax logo marked in red as well. Whilst I wait for some performance parts I have on order to arrive I thought I would add the extra detailing on the tyres to pass the time. Hopefully it turns out ok and I will post up pictures once finished.

#223 ·
Renthal Sprockets - CBR600RR Modification Thread

These arrived in the post today to replace those already on the bike:

After a dozen or so trackdays this year the chain and sprockets have been subjected to a fair bit of abuse and its time to replace with a fresh set for next season. I've remained with the stock set-up (16T Front/41T Rear) as I'm content with the gearing as it works for me on both the road and track. If this was a track only bike I would have a good selection of sprockets to suit different circuits. I've also ordered a Tsubaki chain which should arrive soon so I can get everything fitted over the next couple of weeks.

#229 ·
Tyreart Marker

I think the Battlax Axe in red will be a nice touch
After making a start on the red Battlax detailing today it just didn't look right at all. The white Bridgestone name looks really good but given the large size of the Battlax logo it appeared a tad overpowering. Fortunately the red Tyreart marker paint is easy to remove with a bit of Muc-Off and light scrubbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.