Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Who else rides to 5k before changing oil?

10K views 66 replies 46 participants last post by  Dynamic 
#1 ·
Mobil 1 4t racing 10w-40 full syn says that its good up to 5k miles..

"Mobil 1 benefits engine life and performance. In fact, the lubrication capability of Mobil 1 motorcycle oil helps maintain peak horsepower and acceleration throughout the life of your engine. And with Mobil 1 you can go the full 5,000 miles between oil changes."
from the site..

i couldnt afford an oil change anyways before, times are tougher than before but i didnt actually start noticing bad performance until that last 1k miles I just changed my oil with it today and its a beast again.

I also read that some people change the oil filter every 2 oil changes, who does that and how is the performance? im just wondering when other people change their oil and filter? makes sense to change filter with new oil js

#34 ·
I always find it interesting that people put a distance measure for oil changes instead of amount/rate of use. I have a track bike that gets fresh synthetic oil after every track day. If you ride hard on the street, change your oil more often than if you commute, simple as that. Get rid of this distance mileage for oil changes, it's an inappropriate measurement. Your engine doesn't care about total miles. Its about how hard your working those pistons! Hope this post doesn't drop my count back down to ZERO

#37 ·
I do oil every 1500 and filter every 3k. Prob over doing it, but seems not to shift ass smooth if I go to far over. I got about 24k miles on the bike so may just be b/c wear on the clutch. Might hurt my wallet but cant hurt the bike

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

#38 ·
i change oil and filter every spring after a summer of street riding. somewhere between 4-5K a summer. filter still looks new, and oil is still a nice light brown color.

but i don't do any track days or hard riding (10-12K+ RPM's), well once and a while i'll open her up and get the rev's going :cruising:

#40 ·
Once a year regardless of miles for me....

I change everything out in the spring and use Amsoil. The CBR rarely has more than 5K miles/year but I've gone well over 10K on my Harley in a year. Never had an "oil" problem either.

Rotella T6, Mobil 1 4T, or Amsoil... Any of the 3 work just fine for annual changes (or 10k miles whichever comes first) for a street ridden bike.

#43 ·
to me it would make more sense to change your filter between oil changes and not the oil.

if the filter is already full of dirt/debris then its not gonna be able to filter the new oil nearly as well. but if you throw a new filter on and just top the oil of with some new stuff (to make up for what you lost while taking the filter off) then you have a brand new filter cleaning all the used oil and ready to keep cleaning until you change it all

or am i completely wrong?..

#50 ·
Just checked the 2011 manual, it says to replace the oil filter at every oil change and the intervals are every 8,000 miles or 12,000Km. Not sure if Honda wants our bikes to last for less so we can buy more often than we should, or if most of you guys are overkillin' it.

#53 ·
You have to remember that Honda is probably suggesting the 8k interval for very moderate and easy street riding. Also not every oil is created equal. Some oils like synthetic Amsoil or Repsol can last up to 8k, many non-synthetic may not.

Like I mentioned before, I did an oil change one time at 8k when I wasn't riding the bike too much within a particular year. Bike ran fine and didn't lose to much oil.

Now if you flog your bike or track it, then yes change it more often.

to me it would make more sense to change your filter between oil changes and not the oil.

if the filter is already full of dirt/debris then its not gonna be able to filter the new oil nearly as well. but if you throw a new filter on and just top the oil of with some new stuff (to make up for what you lost while taking the filter off) then you have a brand new filter cleaning all the used oil and ready to keep cleaning until you change it all

or am i completely wrong?..
Your not completely wrong, but I would say it depends on the oil you are using and how you ride and maintain your bike. If you change just the filter at around 3k or so, it should be ok if you are using good oil and riding moderately, then change the oil at 5/6k.

It really won't make sense to just change the filter and not the oil, when a bottle of Rotella costs about $20. I guess if you really were stripped for cash then its ok

#52 ·
3000Km's (not miles) or 2 track days and my baby gets a new dose of Motul 300v and a new k&n filter :)

oil is cheap, engines are not :)

Edit: if it goes in flouro green, and comes out brown, it's done it's job and cleaned parts well.
Are all your 3000Kms on the track? If not you are ripping yourself off. In the end it is your bike do with it as you please, just letting you know that the oil can go for much longer depending on how hard you are riding.

#57 ·
The CBR gets a change every 3000 miles.

The GSX-R gets every 3-5 track days/race days.

Amsoil 10w-40 in the both bikes.

My truck is on about 9-11,000 miles, lol.

I don't even know what oil is in the truck, but its about time to switch it over to Rotella 15w40 diesel oil.

#61 ·
I don't know about 5k.. But I bought my 09 in the spring of 11 with 800 on it and I havent changed it yet, but I don't beat on it and i'm only at 3500 now. I am def planning one for first thing this spring though..

#62 ·
Synthetic oil lasts way longer than people think. I do mine with Repsol (yeah, I know their marketing got me) 4t full synthetic every 5k miles and honestly that's still really frequent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.