Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

First wreck, pretty life changing, give up riding?

9K views 54 replies 49 participants last post by  mran556 
#1 ·
Well, after only riding for 5 months, Monday, 9/10, a cager turned left in front of me causing me to front flip over their hood and break 2 vertebrae in my lower back. Can't feel my feet or move my legs. After 6mos to a year of rehab, I should go back to normal walking. Had surgery and have 2 giant titanium rods connecting 5 verts together. My thoughts qre, should I give up riding after/if I heal up fine? Have 1 lil girl 2yrs 7 mos and a lil baby boy due in 29 days. Hopefully, I will be there when he is born. Thanks for any input. Ride safe guys!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#29 ·
Tyrone, sorry to hear the bad news. I'm probably parroting your spinal surgeon here by saying that you're lucky it isn't worse (ie higher up the spine or definite spinal cord transection) and next time you may not be so lucky. As mentioned already, take your time and forget about riding for a while, focus on your rehab and family.

#30 ·
brother to just give you an idea of my experience, i have been riding for 2 yrs and aug 14 a cager in a full size truck pulled a left u turn in front of me but T-Boned me and totalled my bike, i just picked up a 09 cbr600rr but i got screwed and that was today, exactally a month from the date!!! but yeah YOU have to make the call to ride or not. what does your heart say??

#31 · (Edited)
we've all been there at one point or another... let it be a simple low side, high side, t-bone or a wheelie gone bad, the possibilities are endless...

riding isn't as simple as learning how to balance oneself, go straight, etc etc... i'm a firm believer in that it's gotta be in your blood... not everyone can just hop on, learn and KEEP AT RIDING...

i've had bad wrecks, on the street / on the track, it's just the way it goes... the way i've always looked at it was, when it's my time it's my time... hypothetically a piano could fall on my head as i am walking down the street...

but this is something that you, yourself, and only you can decide... although i'm sure your wife will probably have some input in this matter... the fact that you're sitting there contemplating hanging it up and asking a forum full of strangers what you should do, should be enough to tell you what you're leaning towards... you're rational isn't so much you're scared, you mentioned your daughters, and i don't think it'd be cowardly if you decided to spend as much time with them as you possibly could... there's no shame in putting family first...

regardless, you'll make whatever decision YOU feel is right, and right now the only thing that matters is that you get right and heal properly... worry about riding or not riding when you can walk properly... on the bright side, at least you have an excuse not to take out the trash for awhile...

#35 ·
What u mean by OP?

But I was wearing a Speed and Strength textile jacket with the standard dual density back pad. The jacket had like no damage to it and my helmet has a small crack in it.

Not sure how my back hit, but the impact just have been all in one concentrated spot, it shattered the bone!

Hand Font Finger Black-and-white Rock
Here is an xray

#37 ·
Sorry to hear about your situation, but we are glad you are still with us.

That accident and injury is no small matter; you really have to consider the welfare and future of your family at this point--not just your riding. Ask how your wife feels about you riding again down the road. She'll probably frown on it, but for good reason.

Prayers to you and your family for a speedy recovery. Hopefully you got fully compensated by the other driver for all your injuries and damages. At this point I would highly suggest taking a break from riding maybe a couple of years so you can heal up and take care of the family. Family comes first, riding will always be there. When you are ready to come back, consider trackdays.

Best of luck to you

#38 ·
You're a man. The bike is a machine. You have a family. The bike does not conceive. You have a legacy. The bike is only a part of that. You don't want that to be the end of your legacy. I think we all get that. Nobody does. You can pick it up if you feel it's the right thing to do in your opinion. But those injuries sound pretty tough. Personally, I'd wait a year to make a decision especially with the rehab. There is nothing worse than working through tons of rehab and getting back to a point pre-surgery/pre-rehab and having another setback. It is confidence shaking at best.

I think you have some serious thinking to do about this for your case. Some of the guys I looked up to gave up riding for the mere reason you listed (kids). Their kids wanted them to give it up. At this stage in your life, it's them you should be asking first, not just some strangers on a forum. I know some who could never get in because of kids. I don't have any and could never knock your decision either way but personally I would give greater weight to your children/family than to a machine. I didn't have a father past 12 years old. I would never want my kid to go through within my control. You aren't less of a man if you make that decision.

A couple weeks ago, I thought my girlfriend was pregnant and got ready to say goodbye to the 09 I just purchased. I was more excited about that possibility than riding. Turned out it wasn't the case and I rode out yesterday. In hindsight, I would be OK giving up street riding if I was at that stage that you are in. Track riding would be my fix but I'd still consider your injuries.

In your case maybe, you love riding. Have you considered tracking if you ever got back on? Not to say there isn't any risk there, but at least you know its a bit more calculated.

#39 ·
So stoked you're still alive and breathing Tyrone :shakehand

Take your time and keep at the recovery process.

I've be skateboarding for over 17yrs and been through a lot of breaks, sprains, etc, and told myself I'd chill but I keep coming back. I know bikes and sk8ing are two completely different subjects, but they both share the same passion that keeps us going.

Like lots of people have said in the thread, keep to your family and maybe down the road when you're better, you'll get another bike; but for now just chill with your family :thumbup:

#42 ·
Good luck with the recovery, think about it thoroughly before you make your final decision and ask people close to you (family first and foremost) riders and nonriders if possible what they think. I would take a break, get past this very engaging period of my life with a young child and one on the way until things settle down, you fully recover and take it from there.

Just don't decide on it now. Wait for sometime and then revisit the thought. If you do decide to ride again make sure you get some advanced training to improve handling such situations (some of which are unavoidable) but extra training and practice is always a plus. Best of luck to you and the family.

#43 ·
You should definitely talk it over with your wife and let her know she is part of the decision and not just a bystander. Anything that happens to you affects her life too.

I was reading airbag jacket reviews today and looking to buy one. There are $400-500 versions that have a 'ripcord' to activate it when you get separated from the bike, and a much more expensive wireless system where you install sensors on the forks and frame for a faster response time (0.25 seconds). It will inflate while you are still seated when the sensor detects sudden decleration and or side impact.

Both systems will lock your head and neck in place and give you front, back, and even tailbone cushioning. You can repack them yourself and install another CO2 canister ($18 or so). Insurance companies usually pay for damaged gear along with your bike repair if it gets really torn up.

Seems like a worthy investment. You can get jackets with it built-in, or vests you wear over your favorite jacket. The jackets are not too shabby looking either. The vests look more like something emergency responders wear. The 1000rr forum says Crashbounce.com has the best prices for the ripcord version.

Of course, nothing will help if you decelerate from +100 to 0 mph into an immovable object like a brick wall, but otherwise might spare you (and your family) a whole lot of pain and suffering.

#44 ·
I recommend giving up riding, buying a newer camry/minivan and enjoying your family.

if your not willing to do that and you do love riding, then get another bike, id probably go with something with a better position than a race replica unless your immune to joint pain. If its your time its your time.

^by 20 something single.

after my near death bike experience i have chilled it a lot on the road.

#45 ·
Hey, its the original poster, well 2 months after my wreck I'm still unable to walk or have any movement in my legs, looks like the damage to my spinal cord is pretty severe and I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna walk again.

Therefore, unfortunatly it looks like I won't be riding again.

I appreciate everyones input!

#51 ·
Hey man, how's everything going with you? Came across this post as I started to contemplate my future riding ( my bike was stolen).... But I know we all ask ourselves this question from time to time... Hope you are recovering well. Wouldn't bring up an old post unless it was worth it. Best wishes and keep on hitting your rehab hard if you're still going through it!

#47 ·
Don't give up yet, bro. You said it was going to be 6 months to a year of rehab. Well, it looks like it may be the year. That being said, you're only 1/6 of the way through. You are young, your body needs time to heal. It's going to take a lot of work and will be the hardest thing you've ever done, but you have to try and believe that you can do it! If you are religious, renew your faith. If not, find strength in others that care about you. Or you can just be stubborn as hell and do it for yourself! Just do whatever you have to do to get through this!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#48 ·
Don't give up Bro!! Trust me man if you even think about quitting or feel down or wanna quit just look at the wounded warriors bro. These guys have very traumatic injuries and lose both legs and they be up walking again using prosthetics. Medical technology and the human spirit are amazing bro keep hour head up and remember. Little Battles win the long war. Meaning set small realistic goals that you can accomplish that will help motivate you to keep pushing!! God Bless and Good Luck!!

#53 ·
Sorry to hear man hope u heal up fast and no issues. If I were u I would def give up ridin or awhile until everything is under control, ur completely healed and ur family life is together also. I'm sure the misses won't be too happy if u get back in a bike. I would take off a few years then maybe think about it after that. But, that's just my opinion, u know best.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#55 ·
Sorry to hear man get well soon. You should not focus on anything other than healing now. If i was in your position i would not quit riding but take a 2 year break enjoy your life and after that. I would decide my next move and if or when ill ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.