Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

HEROIC SP-R Pro S

8K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  lexusrx 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased the Heroic SP-R Pro S gloves about a month ago and just after 3 weeks of having them, as you can see, the right hand glove started coming apart/tearing in several areas.

I bought the gloves directly from heroicracing.com and paid about $180.00 after shipping.

I was initially very impressed with the comfort of the gloves; however, I was very disappointed to see the right hand glove come apart after the third week. Please note that the gloves have only been used on the street to and from work and have not seen the ground under any condition.

I contacted Todd at Heroic Racing, owner, and explained the situation. He responded asking that I send the gloves back for repair. I informed him that the bike is my only means of transportation and that it was only the right hand glove that was defective so I asked that he please replace the glove and send me a prepaid invoice for me to return the defective glove. He ignored my request and again asked that I send the glove back since he was already going over the top for me and that it was difficult for him as a small business to continue haggling with me. I again explained that I could not afford to be without the gloves for 2-3 weeks while I shipped it back and waited for him to return them to me, plus I didn't agree with paying shipping costs again. That was the last I heard from him. At this point, I no longer wish to deal with his lack of customer service as I've lost any faith I had in his product and have opted to order set from Rs-Taichi.

I do not recommend these gloves being that they started coming apart on their own after only a few weeks- I can't imagine how they would hold up if they were in a serious crash. Furthermore, I wasn't able to reach a resolution with the owner who expected me to ship the defective glove
back, at my cost, to be repaired and wait around until it was repaired.

There is no way that I would ever buy any product from Heroic Racing ever again due to the lack of customer service and prefer to invest my money in well known products.

I don't feel that my request to have a non defective glove sent to me with a prepaid invoice to return the defective glove back was unreasonable and called for the owner to claim I was haggling him.

The yellowish discoloring also happened within the first week.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Their reply isn't uncommon. It sucks that you had a problem with the gloves, but don't expect Taichi to do what you're asking if you have a problem. Heroic makes a very good product, and they offered to fix your issue.
See that's the problem right there. "don't expect" that's ******** and as consumers we "should expect" them to do exactly as the OP was requesting. He said it is difficult for him as a small business to continue haggling with him. What a small business needs to do to compete with the big boys is give the best damn customer service they can. Thex I am sorry but your post fails in my book.

Also, if you would like a good pair of gloves at about an $80 savings take a look at the VMG Cestus. I own a pair have gone down twice on the track with them and are still in GREAT shape. Yes my hands slid on the pavement both times.

http://www.mopowersports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=863

#4 ·
That's why I was willing to give them a try but for the glove to have a problem within 30 days is crap. Having said that, I understand things happen but I shouldn't have to cover the cost and wait around for it to be fixed. I initially paid for the product and shipping expecting to receive a product free of defects.

When I say that next time I will go with a better known name, I mean that I would be reducing the likelihood of getting a defective product. It is my personal experience that venders selling Rs-Taichi products have better customer service than what I received from Todd.

In all honesty, I don't feel comfortable riding in these gloves anymore and is why I'm opting to get different ones instead of having them fixed. I only have one pair of hands and I'd rather consider the $180 a loss than to have these fail if I were to need them.

#11 ·
That's one way of looking at it from the business point of view, but what about the customer who paid the asking amount expecting to receive a working product? I wouldn't be sending back the gloves if they were flawless.

Saying that you can't see *any* maker taking a loss for a defective product that failed within 30 days is a generalization and something I am simply not willing to accept. This is the first time I come across a maker unwilling to stand behind their product and with such poor customer service.
If you look at the defective glove around the knuckle area where it is beginning to rip, after being used for such a short period of time, it is obvious that it cannot be repaired.

#13 ·
Exactly and is why I gave up dealing with him. I am baffled to see so many responses accepting this lack of customer service/support. I know for a fact this type of crap would not be tolerated with a real business or one that expects to be profitable and survive.

Enough said, buy at your own risk guys and be safe.

#12 ·
In my opinion, the entire integrity of the defective glove has been compromised. While I can probably find someone to stitch it for me, I am not comfortable riding around in them anymore. I don't want to risk it coming apart somewhere else that it is not apparent at this time if it were to come under stress.

I paid for gloves to save my hands as much as possible during a crash.This pair is falling apart from light use; therefore, I'd rather take the loss and save my hands. I am sharing my review so that other riders considering these gloves can take into account the lack of service they can expect to receive. I honestly understand **** happens, fine, and is why I was willing to return the defective glove back in exchange for one free of defects.

What I cannot stand for is someone unwilling to accept any fault or at the very least offer an apology about the defective product, but claim that I'm haggling him.

#18 ·
Not to go too off topic but I'll share my experience with a vendor. I ordered a Shoei helmet and mirrored visor from Jason @STG a while back. They sent me a yellow tinted visor instead because the part number on the package was correct but inside the bag was a yellow visor. Called STG and they said they would ship me out the right visor with a return label for the one I had. Thought that was awesome of them to do that. I also ordered a pair of Handriod gloves from Jason. After my first trackday in them I accidentally broke the plastic shield on them. I asked Jason how much to get a replacement and he said not to worry about it. He sent me a new one free of charge.

That's why all my new gear business goes to him. They went and helped fix two issues hassle free for me. Keep in mind the two parts weren't hundred dollar items and I wouldn't expect them to ship me an expensive part with a return label. But I would expect them to resolve any issues satisfactorily. If you were a repeat customer then maybe you could build some trust with a representative to pull those kinds of strings. But a one time customer would have me weary of sending someone a potentially free item for fear of not returning the old one. Besides, who only has one pair of gloves? Get yourself a second set ASAP.

#20 ·
Sucks that it worked out that way... hopefully you find a good glove soon.

he HAD customer support / service

he offered to make you whole

sure it didn't fit what YOU want, and that's not his fault

as far as how it wouldn't be tolerated by a real business

well, i had 2 choices, when my server hard drive failed

pay to ship it back, and wait for the replacement, or pay upfront, DOUBLE the cost of the drive to have them pre ship me the replacement drive, to get a refund upon me sending back the failed drive

that's from the biggest hard drive manufacture in the world, hard to get much more real business ... and look, OMG, they didn't send me every thing for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i suppose next time i buy a set of gloves i should complain they didnt come with a blowjob ... i mean every one is expecting every business to just fork over money left and right, right? so a hooker for a bj shouldn't be a horrible request.
cool story bro

#21 · (Edited)
flat rate for shipping is $4 and was promised to be reimbursed. I have 36 of these in inventory and was more than willing to repair, clean or replace. The problem with people is that they are to quick to bad mouth a manufacture rather than just return it and get the product serviced. The problem is a simple repair. Less than a 5 minute job on my machines to repair.

The nice thing about HEROIC is that I; Todd McNabney service all brands including my own trackside, at club events, tradeshows all across the country. Any brand any time is my motto.

This individual, within a few minutes on talking with me on the phone said "fine dude, I'm taking this to the internet and lets see what you think about that." Its fine. I even have the balls to log on and face the keyboard cowboys. I also have the where with all to replace, repair and RETURN the product, as new or replaced.

Todd McNabney
Creative Director / Designer / Owner
HEROIC Racing Apparel
Bayside Queens NYC

Shipping Address

HEROIC Racing Apparel
co Todd McNabney
50-14 206th Street Rear
Oakland Gardens, NY 11364

Facebook: Todd McNabney or HRA HEROIC RACING APPAREL

:)

#29 ·
I'm sorry Todd, but it appears you may be confusing me with another dissatisfied customer as I never called you over the phone regarding the issue. I only contacted you via email so that I would have record of exactly what was said. My intention was not to bad mouth your product but rather your lack of customer service to rectify the issue with a less than a month old defective glove. Why should I pay out more money and wait around for you to fix a product that should have arrived in working order. I didn't pay less than the next guy in line so why not rectify the problem by sending a replacement glove with a prepaid invoice as I asked multiple times? Instead, you claimed I was haggling you with my emails and stated you were already going over the top for me. Again I apologize, but I fail to see how you were going over the top for the customer.

#22 ·
looks to me like the gloves were the wrong size. The seams are all stressed and the pivot point where all the pressure is at either broke the kangaroo or the seam. The thread on the thumb deflector? Never in 3 years of manufacturing these have I seen this. The yellowing? Looks like it needs some TLC with 409. All could have been fixed withing 20 minutes in service.

Why manufactures don't like to have close relations with forums, or customers?.. This is a # one case that didn't have to go down like this.

Todd McNabney
Creative Director / Designer / Owner
HEROIC Racing Apparel
Bayside Queens NYC

Shipping Address

HEROIC Racing Apparel
co Todd McNabney
50-14 206th Street Rear
Oakland Gardens, NY 11364

Facebook: Todd McNabney or HRA HEROIC RACING APPAREL

#30 ·
I disagree with the gloves being the wrong size and commend you on the comfort level of the gloves as I stated in my review. The gloves fit perfectly, both right and left hand, and is the only positive thing I can say about them. 20 minutes in service with you in less than a months time of riding on the street? In reality, I'm glad the issue surfaced immediately instead of possibly suffering irreversible damage to my hands in the event of a fall. I do agree that this review could have been a positive one; however, I asked for your assistance multiple times and you disregarded my request.

You indicate you were willing to pay for shipping, so why not arrange it instead of leaving me hanging without a response? There's plenty of manufacturers on numerous forums that stand by their customers, are helpful, and willing to make a situation right.

The review tells exactly how the events transpired and I've remained as objective as possible.

#23 ·
So simply a case of wrong size glove?? Are you really going to tell us that a slightly wrong size glove is going to put so much stress on the seams as to have them bust? By the way, it is hard to tell from the picture but it does not appear that his fingers are so fat to cause the seams to fail. What would happen when you have your body weight on the glove while in a sliding low side?? If you have the where with all to replace why not make a customer so happy he can't wait to tell everyone about his great customer service with your company even if he knows the gloves may have been a bit to snug for him. I too have a business and I probably have lost a few dollars to customers that I knew were too picky, but I know that that customer's neighbors were told about a happy experience from someone that I am sure they already knew was very hard to please. I am sure my business went up because of how the situation was handled.
Anywho what is done is done. Good luck to all that are involved.

#24 ·
Its hard to say. I know that there was not any reason this had to come to the internet to be determined. If they were sent back immediately as requested, they would have been repaired or replaced... Simple as that.

Jim, if I had them in my hands I could give a better response.

So simply a case of wrong size glove?? Are you really going to tell us that a slightly wrong size glove is going to put so much stress on the seams as to have them bust? By the way, it is hard to tell from the picture but it does not appear that his fingers are so fat to cause the seams to fail. What would happen when you have your body weight on the glove while in a sliding low side?? If you have the where with all to replace why not make a customer so happy he can't wait to tell everyone about his great customer service with your company even if he knows the gloves may have been a bit to snug for him. I too have a business and I probably have lost a few dollars to customers that I knew were too picky, but I know that that customer's neighbors were told about a happy experience from someone that I am sure they already knew was very hard to please. I am sure my business went up because of how the situation was handled.
Anywho what is done is done. Good luck to all that are involved.

#25 · (Edited)
I hear ya I applaude you for stepping up and coming here to put your side of the case out there. The notion that the customer is always right is ******** but if it seems like a legitimate issue, suck up the cost and and send out a glove in good faith. Not all of the guys here can afford a dual set of quality gloves and if one set goes bad they can't really go a few weeks riding to work(may be their only means of transport) without what we all know is essential equipment. Do the right thing and make this situation the best it can be! Whenever there may be an issue with gloves let the folks here point to this thread and you and your company and say "this guy did it right and I want to buy my next set of gloves from him" Peace

#26 ·
Jim,

Totally understand. But I have procedures, means and ability to make the situation good and this was weeks ago that this could have been rectified. The reason people send another product is point blank they didn't make the product; nor have the ability to fix it. My policy is send it back and in this case I'll pay for the shipping and I'll also pay for the return.

I hear ya I applaude you for stepping up and coming here to put your side of the case out there. The notion that the customer is always right is ******** but if it seems like a legitimate issue, suck up the cost and and send out a glove in good faith. Not all of the guys here can afford a dual set of quality gloves and if one set goes bad they can't really go a few weeks riding to work(may be their only means of transport) without what we all know is essential equipment. Do the right thing and make this situation the best it can be! Whenever there may be an issue with gloves let the folks here point to this thread and you and your company and say "this guy did it right and I want to buy my next set of gloves from him" Peace

#39 ·
My RS Taichi WRX & EVO gloves are still intact after 3 years of daily use rain or shine

#40 ·
taichi is good. held is the best imo. heroic makes some awesome suits. dont have enough first hand knowledge with their gloves to really give an honest answer on that one. prob the worst big name glove is a-stars. i cant tell you how many of those have had to be sent back in for warranty work. before you buy another set OP check with your taichi supplier and see what their repair policy is. i know held does all repairs in house as well.

when it comes to who you buy from, ill tell you that 99.9% of manufacturers out there will NOT pay for shipping to them for anything. if you order from a dealer (buys from the manufacturer) then its up to the dealer on what they want to do. you tend to have better service this way as well. i know that we have paid out of pocket for warranty stuff before just to make things right with the customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.