Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Sliders and Safety!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  CK_32 
#1 ·
So frame sliders (engine, mid, and swingarm)..they protect your fairings..great! what about you? what do they do in terms of your safety?

A) They improve safety preventing the bulk of the bike squashing your legs in a low side (especially front).

B) They act as sharper irregularities that can F you up in a low side. not to mention concentrating the bike weight on a tiny point (especially those mid and rear ones if god forbid you end up under them).

C) They are just meant for fairing protection in a tip over, they haven't been studied with regard to bike or rider safety in a crash.

D) They protect the fairing from tip over but worsen things in a crash as they increase the likelihood of barrelrolling rather than just sliding.

E) They are meant for tip overs and slides (low sides) heeeeeence the name sliiders but then again with only the bike in mind (just jump off the bike idiot).

F) They look cool like a BMX bicycle so you can stand up on them an...ok j/k :p ...what do you think A, B, C, D or E and whats your backup? (statistics, newsletter article, recognized safety instructions, personal, etc..)

See less See more
#2 ·
frame sliders = protection for the frame, which is the most critical part in case a crash happens

swing arm spools act as mounting points for some stands, however in case of a fall having them could provide some protection to the swing arm

#8 ·
Ok before I jump in and spend time fully answering this OP did you do any research at all or is this all just a self proclaimed answer you came up with watching orange country choppers one night in the clutch and screamed out eureka...

So 1 where did you get this crash information?

2 have you ever or know anyone who has been down in a crash (personally)?

3 have you ever been in a crash your self?

4 what brought on this thought process of yours..?

Because there is a lot I can disagree with your original post in my pre crash research and from my personal experience of me actually going down my self and seeing the damage and effect on the bike body and sliders your talking about..

And I do understand not all 2 crashes are the same but my crash opened my eyes to A LOT of things. I would just like to see if this was a random thought of yours and opinion or if your saying this as a statement of fact.

#11 ·
I've seen a lot of talk about things like this. Haven't heard of anyone being hurt by their sliders either as you'd either get thrown or separate from your bike as you went down.
IMO frame sliders protect the expensive fairing from low speed or stationary drops as we're all aware, I'd imagine they'd benefit in the event of a high speed slide as well, though on a road would probably slide right off the road then flip and get smashed to bits haha.
Seen some talk about sliders creating more damage ie causing the bike to flip so really depends on the situation.
I'm currently looking at sliders myself though

#13 ·
By the far the best sliders I've seen for a CBR are Motivation USA sliders, non-cut for my old 08. Expensive but VERYYY worth it.

Wreck at 50 mph at NJMP Thunderbolt. Low sided then bike flipped 3 TIMES in the dirt. Although my plastics exploded, my frame was UNTOUCHED and had minimal, and I mean minimal, scrapes on my cases, both sides. And the Swing arm spools saved my swing arm as well. Not a scratch on that but I did need new spools, who cares? Sliders Definitely do you their job, as long as you buy quality pieces, no ebay sh!t.

Although some chinese stuff is nice. lol Plastics and levers of course. :bootyshak

#17 ·
People also need to keep in mind that shorter sliders will not be as likely to flip the bike like some are saying. The problem with longer sliders, while they will protect the fairing better at standstill/ low speed drops, they most likely will catch on to something at higher speed lowsides and that will cause the bike to flip. That's why favorites around here are sliders such as the woodcrafts.

#18 ·
I am calm I just wasn't sure if it was an idea thread a well I heard or a media type "sliders kill thousands read below" type thread...

I'm just trying to figure out what your intentions were and just wanted to see what was actually trying to be answered..

But in simple and short if I'm correct ill try to answer what your liking for

Yes frame sliders are not made to protect rider but the bikes frame and half the bike slide than bounce around

No they do not cut or harm people any more than any other part of the bike ie handle bars unless some fluke of nature

They are not made to protect fairings but some do in certain crashes but there is no garantee mine actually did a great job at a 50MPH crash assure from my mirrors and side tail and a tiny edge of my front side fairing. Literally almost the same amount of damage as when I dropped it at 5 MPH during a wash out of my driveway to turn it around and out back in the garage.

For frame and fairing protection look into stunt/race rails that's what they are designed to do..

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.