Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

First major wipeout today...

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  flamboyant 
#1 · (Edited)
So, after 10 years of riding, I finally went down hard. I was on my way to work, and in the left hand lane of a two lane on-ramp to a hwy here in Raleigh, NC. There was a car in front and behind me, as well as a car to the right of me. The Right hand lane eventually ran out, but not for a while. I kept my eye on the guy to the right of me because I was kind of behind and to the left of him. I wasn't all the way in his blind spot, but my "spidy sense" was tingling. I should have listened to it more and either slowed down or sped up ahead of him because, without warning, he changed lanes. He didn't even turn his head, or look at all, he just moved over. It was a fast lane change too, no slow merging, he just came over. I figured I had 2 choices... let him hit me and possibly get ran over, or swerve out of the way off the main part of the road and maybe have a chance at controlling the fall myself. I swerved over, hit some grass, then came back right. I don't remember exactly how the fall went, but I do know that the rear tire came out from under me and I came down straight on my back, on the road at about 45mph. It sounds cliche, but everything did slow down. I remember thinking, "Ok, you are going down, stay calm". I slid on my back for about 20 feet I guess, and when I thought I was slow enough I put my boot down. I guess I was going faster than I thought b/c that made me roll a couple of times. The bike slid away from me and flipped over to it's other side. Here is the shitty thing... NO ONE STOPPED. Not people in front or behind me, nobody stopped that actually saw what happened. I don't even think the guy that swerved over even knew what happened. After that traffic passed, 2 other guys stopped to make sure I was ok, even though they didn't see what happened. One of them even followed me onto the highway, without me knowing. I had to pull over and check a fairing, and he pulled over behind me to make sure everything was ok... definitely a cool guy.

I was wearing Jeans with thermal pants on underneath, some nice leather boots, my Speed and Strength Kevlar jacket, some leather gloves (Not gauntlet style), and my helmet. I stood up and checked myself out... Jeans were tore up, but no other damage to my legs. I saw blood coming out from under my right arm cuff of my jacket, but it was just skin scrapes, no lacerations. Gauntlet gloves would have prevented that, oh well. My other hand has a small scrape and bruising. After the adrenaline wore off, I felt a good bruise on my lower back as well, but other than that I am fine. I can't praise my Speed and Strength jacket enough though. I slide on it for about 20 feet, and it only has a small hole where the left elbow pad is, and one at the very bottom of the back of the jacket, but other than that it barely shows any signs of damage. It saved my skin, literally.

The bike's license plate holder broke, the tail fairing got a good scrape, my muffler tip got ground down a good bit, my frame sliders saved the bike big time. My left side mirror housing is intact, but the glass is gone. One bottom fairing came loose, and my left clip on got scraped up pretty good. Besides that the bike is fine. I stood it up and and started on the first crank. No leaking fluids or anything. There is a slight vibration in the forks, so I'm gonna get it checked out.

All in all I am very fortunate to have come out as well as I did. I'm glad it happened on the onramp, and not 100 yards later when we would have been doing 75mph.

everyone stay safe out there.

See less See more
#3 ·
Unbelievable that no one stopped. Apparently their being punctual is more important than your being alive.

Glad you're safe, and had been geared up. I wear an S&S jacket too, never been down on it yet (knock on wood) and hope I never am but it seems like a solid jacket and I'm happy to hear it saved you man.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#19 ·
humans are such a retarded race. When 1st got my license around 16 I saw a bike crash right in front of me on the highway and I immedietely pulled to the side to help him out. I dont get what the big deal is, I mean this is a pretty good excuse to being late to wherever you are going, work, school etc..

Glad you are ok man, things like this it really helps getting a camera installed to the bike or even your helmet. A few hundred bucks here can ensure those d-bags get justice who dont stop and/or cause the accident.

If I was in that situation, personally I would do some serious investigations like get authorization to the traffic light cameras within a 2 mile radius and note the color of the car and make and fuk him in court.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.