Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Battery change

5K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  Camsky 
#1 ·
My battery is pretty much done so i want to ask which brand battery should i get next to save major weight compared to stock and ease of install and maintenance?

#8 ·
Battery's are going to virtually weigh the same, for our bike's they are MF "matienence free" and they install the same. Look for a good deal w/warranty
Neg, Moty Battery vs OEM = about 7lb savings

#7 ·
You guys, these new lithium batterys are awesome. Much better tecnology than a lead-acid (original) can hope to be. My son uses a Shorai in his race 1000rr for two years now, can sit all winter, 5 months, and still crank his high compression 1000 over fast. I use a 4cell remote controlled airplane 13.2v battery for my race 600rr. Some suggest might be a bit light for a fully equiped street bike. Read some of the claims of those selling the lithium iron phosphorus batterys, It is true, they are light, powerfull, hold a charge longer, can be cycled more times than lead-acid, why would you not wont a much better product for a little more money. I know some are very pricey, but mine was 89$, my sons was 120$ dollars and a straight drop in.

#13 ·
In the mag. test. they were all good, but the Moty and Shorai were the best price. You don't need to spend 200$ for a good one, or if its a track only bike 90$ form an R/C hobby store gets you a 4 cell lithium iron phosphate 13.2v that works great. Don't get lithium polymar. shoraipower.com or motydesign.com

#23 · (Edited)
On a street bike you are not going to drop 7 pounds. I weighed my stock Yuasa battery and it is just under 7 pounds.
Even Yuasa lists the YTZ10S at 7 pounds.

Moty Design is listing the weight of their 8 cell batteries at
1.52 pounds for their 8 Cell OEM
1.69 pounds for the 8 Cell QD
1.69 pounds for the 8 CEll Post

5.5 pounds is closer to what the actual weight loss will be with those three batteries.
If you go with Shorai the weight loss will be about 4 pounds as they list the LFX14A4-BS12 at 3 pounds.

Still a pretty good weight loss for just a battery change.

#25 ·
On a street bike you are not going to drop 7 pounds. I weighed my stock Yuasa battery and it is just under 7 pounds.
Even Yuasa lists the YTZ10S at 7 pounds.

Moty Design is listing the weight of their 8 cell batteries at
1.52 pounds for their 8 Cell OEM
1.69 pounds for the 8 Cell QD
1.69 pounds for the 8 CEll Post

5.5 pounds is closer to what the actual weight loss will be with those two batteries.
If you go with Shorai the weight loss will be about 4 pounds as they list the LFX14A4-BS12 at 3 pounds.

Still a pretty good weight loss for just a battery change.
Interesting....

#24 · (Edited)
I've had a Moty 4 cell on my racebike for over two years, Still starts right up every time.

Ballistic brand kooks good, not sure of their performance. There was also another company that had a carbon fiber shell around theirs, which since I love CF, I thought was cool. Can't remember the brand.

EDIT: I guess it was the Shorai that had the CF case, but it looks different now. The old ones had visible weave on the outside. Maybe it was another brand, :dunno:

#34 ·
Lithium Batteries are fantastic, but some of these lower priced ones aren't very good and can cause more problems than they are worth, need specific balancing chargers (see the port with the odd plug on top of that battery), and are short life cycle/cheap cells.

It's more expensive, but you should look for a quality batter that has the onboard electronic to protect the battery, and a solid warranty.

#35 ·
It's more expensive, but you should look for a quality batter that has the onboard electronic to protect the battery, and a solid warranty.
You guys feature EarthX batteries on your site. Have to do some reading and see what people are reporting.
http://earthxmotorsports.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.