Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Inverted Forks?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  vizsladog 
#1 ·
Might be kind of a noob question but I am just wondering what the difference is between my forks on an 04, and the inverted forks on the 05/06s?
I know that this was one of the changes between the 03/04's, and the 05/06's but no sure what the advantages/disadvantages, and how this
is such an improvement? Enlighten me folks...... : - )

#4 · (Edited)
Advantage 1: The heavier part of the fork is bolted into the triple clamps, so you have less unsprung weight, as with a conventional fork, the heaviest part of the fork is bolted to the wheel.

Advantage 2: There is less flex under braking

Advantage 3: They look much sweeter!

Disadvantage 1: There is less flex. Some motorcycles respond poorly to inverted goodness because they flex less. Conventional forks allow for lateral flex during cornering, whereas inverted forks don't. This one is hard to call a disadvantage, however, because not all bikes would respond poorly to inverted forks.

Disadvantage 2: They are stronger. Meaning that if you hit something solid with inverted, they are so strong, all the forces are passed into the frame, sometimes damaging the frame.

If the bike is re-tuned with the inverted forks and optimally tuned with conventional ones, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. So, the final word, dial in your suspension and you may not notice the slight differences.

#5 ·
dcraige said:
Inverted forks have been around for a few decades. Most sportsbike manufacturers put inverted forks on their bikes after that model has been out for a few years to drive sales.

DUDE!!! our bike isnt sellling. we MUST put inverted forks on it...

Dumbest thing i've read in a while.....

As noted above Inverted forks offer more strength and flex less.

#6 ·
vizsladog44 said:
DUDE!!! our bike isnt sellling. we MUST put inverted forks on it...

Dumbest thing i've read in a while.....

As noted above Inverted forks offer more strength and flex less.
Do you really thing that putting on a slipper clutches, USD forks, Radial brakes and other goodies that manufactures put on effects how a bike handles to 99% of the riders out there? Do you think many riders could tell the difference between the 03-04 and the 05-06 rr? I doubt it, it's more about marketing then actual paractical benefit. Sure the racer might be able to tell the difference but if it really made that much of a difference then why didn't Honda 600rr racers do front end swaps with the 03-04? Why didn't aftermarket companies make USD fork kits for the 03-04 rr if USD forks and radial brakes make that much of a diff? Yes, it might have to do something with rules of racing series but aftermarket companys make stuff that would never be allowed in racing but actaully usable on the street and make a difference.

Its not like USD forks haven't been around and it's such new and expensive technology. If it had that much practical benefit then all CBRs would have had USD fork long ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.