Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Need help geting a sportbike

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  boostedlt1 
#1 ·
Hey fellas. Last spring I started riding (18 yrs old) I started off on a 85" suzuki madura 1200. I still live at home while i'm going to college so my dad helped me get a cheap bike to start out on. (I scored the bike for $250). Anyway I've been saving for awhile and I have a good amount of money saved so i'm looking for another bike. My dad really wants me to get a harley davidson sportster but I dont want a harley. He rides a cvo street glide but i think harleys are way overpriced (even used) and it seems like eveyone and their brother has one.

I would love to get a honda 600rr or a yamaha rs 07-10 because I love sport bikes and I feel you get more bike for your money compared to a harley. I just need help finding good points to tell him how a sport bike woud be better. Also does anyone know alot about insurance? He is saying that a harley sportster 1200 would be less on insurance than a 600cc sportbike? I dont see how that could be. thanks for any help!!

#3 ·
Exactly how much have you saved up and plan on spending?

Probably help us with a year to offer and type bike in your range and what your main use for it is..

Canyon.. High way... Commute.. Short commute.. Track.. Street ect ect

#4 ·
Tell him that's what you want and that's what your going to get. You guys can still ride together. A guy I work with and ride with has a Harley he don't care as long as you got a bike, let's ride. But the insurance thing, hahaha its going to be a lot more I bet. I'm 35 and pay 360 a year, which is high but I got Damn good insurance covers all my gear and mods that I do to the bike. I also have double the insurance, never go with the minimum. Good luck. You do know why he wants you to get a harley right. It's to share the Passion that he loves so much, but to be able to share that with a son is so much more special. So think about your choice long and hard. You can always get a cheap sportbike a year later after the Harley! Then have both.

#5 ·
Depending on your driving record just call around and ask for some quotes. If you get liability it's dirt cheap. Sometimes full coverage is pricey tho I pay almost 100 a month for full coverage. If you don't want a Harley don't get one. Probably a lot of the reason he doesn't want you to get one is well because it's a sport bike. Probably thinks you'll be irresponsible on it like a lot o riders out there are that ride them. Explain to him that you will be responsible on it. In time he will come around. Just don't make him regret it if he does allow you to get one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
insurance is most likely going to be cheaper for a cruiser than a sport bike. I pay 352 a year for full coverage (same coverages as my cars), but I insure through State Farm where I have policies for my house, bike, life, and 3 cars

#7 ·
on a 600cc sports bike you're gonna be looking at $150-200/month for full coverage

i'm 21 with a perfect record, home owner & msf discount, and full coverage with a $1k deductable is $130/month

i only paid $3k for my bike tho. since its a $1k deductable and an exta $60/month im not carrying full coverage on it :/ just really good medical/liability and its still $70/month

Reactions: Honda4life05
#8 ·
I plan on spending 4-6K. I will be using it as a daily commuter to work on nice day and a few rides on the weekends. I take very very good care of my toys so I want it to be mint.

In the end I will get what i choose becaue it is my money but my dad and i have a good reationship and I dont want to be a **** about it. I want to giv him some good point on why i want a sport bike. Also right now my bike is insured under him and my next bike will probably be too. It is crazy how insurance companies rape young males on isurance. I haven'thad a single ticket/accident since i started driving and it's still crazy.

On a side note I think he just wantes to have a faster bike than me lol

#11 ·
insurance is more expensive on sportbikes than harleys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.