Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Exit the 09 600RR and enter the 12 ZX10R

4K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  DynastySS 
#1 ·
Well it has been a pleasure to belong to such a great community. This forum is a great source of info and has helped me to do all my own mods and maintenance. The 600RR has been a great bike and I have enjoyed it very much. But a deal fell into my lap that I just couldn’t pass up. I will still stop in from time to time.

The Phoenix will be missed.

But I love my new ZX10R

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats!!!!!!!!

Reactions: napvid
#6 ·
Nice pick up man...

I just did the same thing about a month or so ago... only mine's a 2011 ( same bike, just got a way better deal on it than a 2012 ).

I love riding it, although you may end up finding out that you miss the 600 every once in a while...

:shakehand

#10 · (Edited)
Congrats man just because its a 600 RR site does not mean you should ride an RR to stay among us my current rides a Triumph 675R and I am still addicted to this site as I ever was when I had an RR

Reactions: napvid
#18 ·
Yeah… the exhaust has to go for sure! Looking at the Graves slip on right now but will have to wait till after Xmas before I really start to mod this beauty. The wife wouldn’t be too happy if I started dumping money into it just before Xmas lol. Good thing is the new ZX10 comes stock with some really nice titanium headers. The aftermarket headers really didn’t show much gain (1-3hp) over stock and I’m not trying to shave seconds or spend over $500 a hp, so that saves me $1200. So far the only mods I’ve done is Levers, sliders, spools and a custom FE/integrator/under tail plastic dipped red carbon fiber look. There are a lot more mods to come that’s for sure.

I can tell you this… this bike handles a lot like my 600. After all it is only 5lbs heavier. To be honest it feels a bit more than 5lbs heavier and I haven’t weighed it but the specs say 437lbs wet compared to 432lbs for the 600. It’s a bit wider so I feel I need to get off the seat faster and more often to flick it like the 600. I really love the fit and feel of the ZX. For a sportbike, it’s very comfortable. The design fits me very well. Maybe this sounds a little silly, but the way the tank flairs out a little at the top just locks me in at the thighs and I feel almost like one with the bike.

It’s a 1000 so of course this thing has a chit load of power. Around 170+hp emissions restricted and around 190+hp with a slip on, filter and reflash. Just like any other new sport bike, it’s a dog anything below 6k rpm so it will need a gearing change to get some low end grunt. I’ll probably just go -1 in the front. In the midrange 6-10k rpm it pulls really hard and fast and has some real potential with a good tune. Now above 10k rpm you really need to hang on because it just pulls even harder, and quite frankly scares me a little bit. I have not topped it out and probably never will but I have had it up to 150mph (indicated) at 10500 rpm and that was enough for me. I’m sure this bike can do 190-200mph and if you YouTube it you can see some crazy mofos try it.
Over all I’m very happy with my decision.

#19 · (Edited)
great bike. i just test rode one a couple weeks ago. first thing I would do is shim up that rear to improve turn in. to me it felt like the front was high vs the rear. other than that i took to it pretty quick. make sure dealer did the recall if its an affected vin. BTW you don't even need a full reflash. there is a wire that can be cut and run to ground that prevents timing retard and secondaries closing on the top end. go to zx10r forum and look for the post from Ivan's. Not as overall a smoothing of the power curve as a reflash, but it removes the top end restrictions.

#20 ·
Thanks for the input man.

Yeah I'm going to try 4mm of shim on the rear and drop it 2mm in the front and see how that feels.

My vin does fall in to the recall but has not been done yet and I don't think I'll have it done. Don't really like the fix they came up with to fix it. I'll keep an eye on it and if it does start to leak I'll cross that bridge.

Ivan's wire mod is a great free way gain some ponies back but there are so many benefits to the reflash I think I'm going to just send it to guhl and have it done.

#22 ·
sweet bike man!

nice looking color, only thing i can see is the exhaust....and i'm glad you said its going bye bye.

do something nice for the wife and maybe she'll let you get a slip-on before X-mas :cruising:

#29 ·
I went to FTW Honda Kawasaki this weekend to check out the new 636 but the red ZX10R is the bike I ended up drooling over. I liked it better than the RSVR which has been my dream bike. It was sitting next to a CBR1000RR and looking at them both the kawi was just on another level. I had an R1 back in the day and I keep telling myself I don't need another literbike, and I don't, but the traction control would be very good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.