Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How you prevent your bike from getting jacked?

6K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  crash277 
#1 ·
I looked and looked everywhere on this forum and even googled, got some decent ideas, but I want to know what you guys do on your bikes to prevent it being thrown into a truck. Dont say take off the wheels or get full insurance because I looked into that already....not looking good.

I looked at some Lojack options, I even own one of those on my car but its not 100% reliable. The vehicle has to reach a certain speed and has to maintain that speed for a certain time and all that is really Bulls.hit. I took off that stupid keychain device one time to test it out if it worked and it failed. I drove my car normal street speeds around 30-45mph for a good 30 min and I didnt get any calls or notifications, so I cant rely on Lojack 100%.

My bike is a huge chunk of my life and I honestly dont know what I would do if I were to lose it.

#3 ·
:+1: ^ This and when I park at work I park right in front of my office so I can keep an eye on it all day. I'm not saying don't try to deter the thieves but for the most part if someone wants it bad enough they're going to take it. Full coverage is a very good idea.

#4 ·
Park in the garage and I do also have insurance. You can get an alarm that has perimeter and tilt sensors and will go off if someone's trying to hurt your baby. Also bike covers are a cheap option as well, Crooks usually won't take something if they don't know what they're stealing.

#7 ·
If they have a truck/trailer, it doesn't matter, insurance is your only option.

If you want to keep someone from riding it away:

Cover
Chain(swingarm)
Disc Lock(front and or rear rotor - rear preferred)
Alarm system w\ killswitch
RFID w\ switch
GP Shifting (i know, lame, but the last time someone tried to jack my ****, i found it in 6th gear... lol)

#12 ·
with or without a garage, you gotta go places with it...

2-way paging alarm w/proximity motion sensor. (chirps as soon as you go near it)
dont park where cars/trucks can pull right up next to it
their less likely to carry/push it even 20' to their truck with an alarm screaming/paging
its not fool proof but its kept my bike "MINE" for years now!!
(and in philly... thats say'n something)

#23 ·
I couldn't imagine having to worry about someone jacking my bike, but yes, I live in Canada, too and bike thefts are very rare ....lol!!! :newyears:

But If I had to, I'd get an alarm with a proximity on it, and a shotgun (with slugs).

#14 ·
hear it again garage and full coverage. If not an option then get a cheap bike cover, disk lock with alarm, and always park in well lighted spots. If I am at a friends apartment, mall, out to eat, I will park beside building between cars so harder for someone to carry out. the way i look at it, if it is harder for me to get it in there then harder for them to get out.

#15 ·
I looked and looked everywhere on this forum and even googled, got some decent ideas, but I want to know what you guys do on your bikes to prevent it being thrown into a truck. Dont say take off the wheels or get full insurance because I looked into that already....not looking good.

I looked at some Lojack options, I even own one of those on my car but its not 100% reliable. The vehicle has to reach a certain speed and has to maintain that speed for a certain time and all that is really Bulls.hit. I took off that stupid keychain device one time to test it out if it worked and it failed. I drove my car normal street speeds around 30-45mph for a good 30 min and I didnt get any calls or notifications, so I cant rely on Lojack 100%.

My bike is a huge chunk of my life and I honestly dont know what I would do if I were to lose it.
What are you talking about????

Lojack doesn't work that way IIRC. its a tracking device, I doubt going any speed has anything to do with it. I have the 1st Gen Lojack. how it works is when activated the signal has to be triangulated to locate the bike. I don't know what you are talking about going a certain speed... :retard:

Other than alarms and GPS systems, the best ways to protect your bike is to chain it to a post, install a front disc lock with alarm, and always try to park where it is not readily visible or accesible to thieves.

Of course full coverage insurance is a must. Storage/garage unit is also highly recommended.

#26 ·
Anyone tried this? It is pretty cool. A hidden phone that call your number if setoff:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorbike-Phone-Alarm/?ALLSTEPS

I have also heard of hiding a cell phone with GPS on a bike, if it gets stolen, you call the phone and police can track it. This is not anti theft thou:
This is a cool idea, however if I was going to go all out like this, may as well throw in some C4 for good measure.
"It appears the fuel tank ruptured and incinerated the would be thief after he tried to start the bike, no one attended the funeral."

#27 ·
Huge chain or two. make it the most difficult target. Don't get lazy and forget them, leave them at home, etc. Don't bother with anything less then 14mm (10mm very susceptible to even 4ft bolt cutters.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=15141

Also, while you're servicing your bike, etch the inside of your fairings and other bits with initials and number somewhere not too obvious.

#28 ·
Huge chain or two. make it the most difficult target. Don't get lazy and forget them, leave them at home, etc. Don't bother with anything less then 14mm (10mm very susceptible to even 4ft bolt cutters.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=15141

Also, while you're servicing your bike, etch the inside of your fairings and other bits with initials and number somewhere not too obvious.
holy damn, thank u for that post man, that is a nice looking chain and its small enough to carry in my backpack. I know what im getting for x-mas this year lol. Ty!

#33 · (Edited)
i wont have anything to chain it to because the parking lot i park in (carls jr) doesnt have any posts. I was going to wrap it around my rear wheel.

Is that a good idea?

Edit: the only time my bike is prone to being stolen is during work hours where i park 1 block away in a carls jr parking lot. The manager gave me the ok to park and its parked in the corner against 2 walls and completely visible from the drive thru window. I currently have 2 wheel locks attached to the front of the wheel. (Master lock and Trimax) and I just need a chain for the rear and i should be set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.