Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

vortex rearsets and maybe an issue ?..yikes**Shifter Arm bent as it was taped on **

5K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Nuttynu 
#1 · (Edited)
alright so check this out fellas,in the first picture, the gearing pin coming out of the engine, when i install the set, i was able pushed that pin inside the engine like 1/2 inch.. i then couldnt shift...scary
so is this normal or is there something wrong? it then shifts properly when i push it back out tho... never seen or even try this . are your guys like that too? and hopefully i'm making sense..

here is my bad drawing . but this i meant....

now here are they installed...

GP SHIFT

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
no, not sure, thats why im hoping one of ya can find out. ...ill prolly go start the bike up and maybe let it run thru the gears..\

oh and FYI everyone, there is no issue with the vortex or the installing of it, its i just found that the pin slip inside and im hoping i aint going to get some motor issue..

#8 ·
thanks for comirming, well dont tap yours, cause i did to mines and now if i wanted to push it, it will slide into the casing... darmm :banghead:

hoping its nothing major.... im reading about broken shift forks.. and if thats what i got . its going to be an big :banghead::banghead:

#15 ·
Ok i was wondering about the Red paint, correct me if im wrong but the new Vortex linkage part that connects to the shift rod is the same as oem right? mine isnt painted, so i can assume that after loosening the bolt it should slide in. I remeber having to remove it for my woodcraft case cover install, when i was done i just slipped it back on (no taping or mallet) anyways i hope it all works out for you man

#16 · (Edited)
Wait, does the Vortex Rearsets not come w a new shifter rod?? or did you paint that red?
Edit : after looking at your pic i see the new rod that came w the sets, wasnt sure you had to re use the main rod (your in red)

#20 ·
^that pic's of V2's

Nuttynu's look like V1's

V2's come with 2 shift rods, you only use one.

Length determined by choice of shift setup.

^the pic of V2's is setup for regular shift pattern.
GP shift pattern would have the shift rod on top for the V2's.
ok thx, i just ordered from Cycle Sector, so i assume ill be getting the V2's then? ill more and likely go w reg shift pattern anyways

#19 ·
The part you messed up is #1 on here.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI.../CBR600RR/GroupID/199252/Group/GEARSHIFT_DRUM

Very thin metal piece. We did this once and won't make this mistake again.
Make sure to take your bolt out all the way before installing the knuckle. Yours might be bend but it also might be broken off. You have to open up the cover, remove the clutch basket and that will give you room to replace this part.

#24 ·
#21 ·
Dave
Still addicted to the mods remember I told you a while back modding never seems to cease
Congrats man awesome Rear sets make sure to use Blue Loctite when you asm them together and don't forget to post pictures

#22 ·
OP > from the sounds of it, when you installed the rearsets you used a hammer to put the shift linkage back on the shaft. This is a no no. On the other side of the shaft there is a very thin and fragile retaining washer. You broke/bent that washer unfortunately. and the engine needs to be opened back up to remove/replace that washer.

#27 ·
yeah its a cheap parts, but timing and ...arg working in the cold!!
well ima tear it down and see what internal damage. and do a thread on it so everyone dont make my mistake

#26 · (Edited)
Ooo wee tha k you ! Gues I do have time to do this . Lesson learn . Don't hammer that gear pin
Can u explain a little more on what has to be open ? Do I have to drop the whole engine or jus open which casing ?.

#32 ·
prolly will do a write and experience on this..

so im assuming take the right side/clutch basket and i shall be able to access getting to that small Part #1, replace that and call it good? hmm maybe might as well get new clutches too?

#33 ·
^yup sounds that way yes, not sure if you've taken the clutch cover off before or not, but theres a vid on youtube (guy w an 07') though. Def take pics for anyone else having to do this! Whenever i take parts off my bike i always take a few pics to maybe help others :shakehand. Once i get my sets in ill only assemble them for now, wont install till the spring :p

#34 ·
i swear this always happen withe bikes, this was my last mod, and i was going to just sit and chill till spring and ride. and now something always comes up. its like she talking to me. "nu touch me more" !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.