Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

just bought a powder coat gun

7K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Bridge_Jumper 
#1 ·
dont have an oven yet but i have an infrared heater and that worked pretty good. made this thread to see if anyone had any powder coating experience with some tips to help me out on future projects.
what do you all think? i know they arent perfect but ok for my first project

i missed a few spots, can i just cot those spots again?

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you take the pegs apart? What gun did you get? How did you check the temp of the part to ensure proper cure?
For pegs just get a toaster oven from Target or Walmart and cook them in there. For bigger stuff well... Good luck.

#4 ·
yeah i wanna get an oven cuz i wanna do the rims on my car, dont wanna waste money on a toaster oven when i plan on getting an oven anyways. i didnt check the temp, just kinda went for it. imma have to redo em but i wanted to get a feel for the gun. its one from harbor freight

#5 ·
I have the same powder coat thing from harbor freight. Next time you do you pegs, take them apart (but remember how exactly they go back together! took me like an hour to figure out how the hell they went back together when I did mine lol) If you are going to get a full size oven, try finding a cheap one on craigslist, but DO NOT use the oven you cook with

#11 ·
Do you have a sand blasting setup too?

Have fun stripping that PC off... sometimes it's a bitch.

#16 ·
Do you have a sand blasting setup too?
Have fun stripping that PC off... sometimes it's a bitch.
i did such a light coat i could scratch it off lol using a heater instead of oven prolly helped with that.

I'm not expecting perfection. Hell, I just painted my extra fairings with a rattle can! PM me if you ever feel comfortable enough!
Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
for sure man. once i get an oven ill let you know

The powder cures at different temps. It depends on the brand of powders. Some of mine range from 375 to 450 degrees. I have a toaster oven and full size that I use. I use a cheap craftsman powder gun. Easy to use and doesn't required a air compressor. I have one of those too!!!! In my experience with powder coating the best tip I can give you is to make damn sure the parts is clean. And tape and plug threads. I tend to use Eastwood powders. Hope it helps, and if you need help just ask. A few examples of mine are on some of my posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
thanks alot for the tips. yeah i noticed shaking the gun helped the powder come out. i just bout some from harbor freight to practice with, i heard eastwood is good powder so that will be what i get later

#14 ·
The powder cures at different temps. It depends on the brand of powders. Some of mine range from 375 to 450 degrees. I have a toaster oven and full size that I use. I use a cheap craftsman powder gun. Easy to use and doesn't required a air compressor. I have one of those too!!!! In my experience with powder coating the best tip I can give you is to make damn sure the parts is clean. And tape and plug threads. I tend to use Eastwood powders. Hope it helps, and if you need help just ask. A few examples of mine are on some of my posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
Can u do some to mine? Ill prep it
yeah man im in cali also. too far. not worth it if you ship it.

Its so much fun I got a Eastwood setup for xmass love it, the prep is the most important part. I used a dremel and acetone to properly clean the parts. They also say aluminum is very prone to out gassing so pre baking aluminum parts is a must. I found that the powder sticks alot better when ur metal is heated a bit u can use a mapp gas torch or put them in the oven for a sec. Also get your self a dedicated ground from a ground rod in the yard. Looks good man keep us posted. also powder365.com is a great source of info on the topic also columbiacoatings has great powder for good prices.
yeah i pre baked em. the powder melts right on. i got mine from harbor freight, nothing fancy but gets the job done. do you use eastwood powder? i used soe from harbor freight as well. we'll see how it holds up, so fa so good

#21 ·
Its so much fun I got a Eastwood setup for xmass love it, the prep is the most important part. I used a dremel and acetone to properly clean the parts. They also say aluminum is very prone to out gassing so pre baking aluminum parts is a must. I found that the powder sticks alot better when ur metal is heated a bit u can use a mapp gas torch or put them in the oven for a sec. Also get your self a dedicated ground from a ground rod in the yard. Looks good man keep us posted. also powder365.com is a great source of info on the topic also columbiacoatings has great powder for good prices.

#25 ·
Just when I thought I had purchased all the toys I could want to hold me over until summer. I find myself in two pc threads in 12hrs.

Damn you! I see a trip to harbor freight in the near future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.