Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Mounting licence / number plate to carbon LV exhaust strap

8K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  TenTMUK 
#1 ·
Recently fitted a Leo Vince Evo2, to the bike and the integrated tail light is on the way, so I'll need some way too mount the plate.

The exhaust strap is carbon and quite thin.

Has anyone mounted a plate to this strap and had it hold up. It doesn't look like it can take much abuse too me.

In the UK the standard plate size is 9x7 inch!! but I have a 7x5 inch. Still bigger than the US plates though.

Looks like some LV straps were steel, which would be a lot better I imagine, but I doubt I could find one as a spare part.

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
God I love that bike just needs the 1000rr signal mirrors lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Moeman
#4 ·
Your bike looks great :D

Here are some photo's of mine. Yes, it's dark, it's winter and it's a daily ride so there's leaves, mud and allsorts stuck too it :p

As you can see, the strap on mine is a lot further back, my plate is a lot bigger than the US, and the strap is quite thin.

I'm concerned that firstly the strap will break, but even if it didn't, with the size of my (illegal and much smaller plate), it will hit the rear wheel easily.

I wish I lived in the US lol.

There is not much adjustability....I think the only solution is too fit a second mount somehow, nearer the end of the can, but I'm not sure how to do this, other than captive nuts like the tripage stock exhaust fitment...I don't want too drill my new can though.. :retard:

//edit ... of course I still have the evotech tail tidy fitted awaiting the tripage.. that will be gone when and if I can mount the plate :)

#6 ·
I personally have the TST industries FE, IT flushmounts. All amazing for an awesome price. The FE was a simple install and can be placed in a more central location if preferred.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Cheers for the input :)

Regarding the TST...I would not make one short trip without a police stop and £60 fine. It's much too far back.

The Tripage looks great, but those two bolts/nuts passing through that thin carbon strap? Looks decidedly weak to me. Last think I want is to damage the strap as a spare part would be a PITA and mean downtime on the bike. If it was a steel strap, I'd probably give it a go.

I think I am just going to have too come up with a custom solution, or at least a custom strap too mount a tripage to.

Cheers for all the input :)

#8 ·
Carbon fiber is very very strong. It's thin but it's durable. Does your exhaust strap have the 2 big ovals in it or is it solid?

#10 ·
#11 ·
looks like youll probably need to lower the pipe anyway when you fit your tst IT,looks like it will touch your pipe or be very close to it

#13 ·
being riding for a year with mine without a problem.

I just drilled some holes in the strap.

I have it slightly tilted up now from when I took this pic. it's kinda of close to the tire when straight.

Reactions: tripage
#15 ·
I even use the adjustable on my carbon exhaust strap

#18 ·
Good thread indeed, and answered all my queries and concerns. Looks like this will be the route to take. I'm sold :)

@T -- how do you modify the holder? simply cut it? Could I easily modify the US version myself? Just thinking my plate is 7x5, so wondering if I can possibly retain some of the sides to provide more support for the plate?

Also how much shipping to UK?

Cheers :)

ps. Image on this page is out of date. May confuse people with more recent bikes and think there are no products for them if they only look at the pictures. Image should say 2007 - 2011 (or 2012/13?) rather than 2007-2009.
http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=42_61

#19 ·
Drill 2 holes and nut/bolt in place.
If you want to cut the sides/bottom off you can

Is the adjustable all you are wanting?

#22 ·
Thanks. I will get this out shortly..

#25 ·
Tristan is awesome :banger:just like I mentioned earlier in my comments post pictures when you get the F.E installed :cruising:

#26 ·
Question about this.. I'm about to do the exact same thing with the exact same setup(carbon fiber strap on Leo Vince). The wiring harness running from my Tripage FE has a spare two prong red female plug that is not plugged into anything. The previous owner gave me a bag of spare parts and it included a unused red wire with the male part of the plug. If I purchased the above Tripage license plate mount would the lights plug into this red plug? If not, how is it wired? Thanks!

#27 ·
You can wire the led lightbar into the red plug.
Black to black
white to red

Get some heat shrink at radioshack and you can run a sleeve over the wire and then twist them together and lay them down on the wire and run the heat shrink over them and heat up to shrink it. You can solder the connections as well but if you can't solder then that will work just fine. Plug it into the taillight and you have tag lights. T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.