Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

would any of you consider buying a recovered bike?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  highonlakai 
#1 ·
#7 ·
The thing is there are no track around my area, but got some twisties a few kms away :cruising:

The s1k do go around $15k. And I was in the super market thinking about the bike, and came to the conclusion that I'd end up spend a few more grand just to get her back to clean and lean :ponder: I wouldn't pay $10k, maybe 8 or 9 but 10 is kinda too deep.

But hope ya get a track bike soon :cheers:

#9 ·
Yea so possibly you may spend more than buying a brand new time with the risk of having a POS or possibly junk bike.. Just because its a dealer doesn't mean its always on the up and up... Then it comes to their cheap deals 90% of the time those are pre inspection for the exact reason of if it f**ks up that's too bad. (I know this from trying to buy my first car from a major dealership Inge $3k lot)

And salvaged could mean anything they don't have to tell you if its crashed or not salvaged could mean a lot of things and for the fail I'm doubting this was just a thrift recovery possibly both.. So it might look ok... But you could be looking at a ton more work than you expect.. Especially if its a quick flip corner dealer..

So again is it really worth the risk than just buying new for a few grand more and possibly less in the long run?

Also if you don't plan on tracking or serious canyon carving the s1k is a little over kill.. Reason I laugh at the guys sporting one and act all high and mighty and can't even fully run the dam thing to need the features it offers.. I can't even fully out preform my RR let alone a s1k.

And every guy I know that has one for pure track or street has their head so far up their a** and are so smug it's ridiculous.. They feel like the bike makes them better riders when it just crutches their weak points..

#6 · (Edited)
I would be willing to consider any bike as long as it passed a decent inspection; so maybe take it to a shop and have it looked over if you can? S1000's are amazing bikes. My big concern would be resale value. That kind of thing tends to scare people away (hence the reason for this post in the first place!).

EDIT: Actually from that listing it looks like its for sale by a dealer? If they are an actual dealer they must have gone over it already in order to figure out a fair asking price. Ask them to give you a detailed account of what they found.

#8 ·
EDIT: Actually from that listing it looks like its for sale by a dealer? If they are an actual dealer they must have gone over it already in order to figure out a fair asking price. Ask them to give you a detailed account of what they found.

I'm going to email the dealer and see what happens, but I don't know about 10k. If they won;t budge on the price, I'll buy a fireblade for cheaper and still have enough cash for some goodies.

#10 · (Edited)
I was actually thinking of buying it.

I bought my cbr damaged. It's no big deal, only cosmetic.

Hell it's the only way I could justify buying one on my tight budget. There are things you have to look for but that only comes with experience, it's how I thought myself.

Id only buy that s1000rr for $7000-8000 to make it worth it. I know that dealer, they buy these from auctions (Canada or states) clean titles, and just resale here for profit. Their damaged bikes are typically overpriced and come close to the cost or just buying a mint one.

#14 ·
side note, i bet you could pick up a brand new 2012 1krr in january on the cheap. they were going for 14,777 here in ottawa during the summer. when the new stock starts to arrive the dealers want to unload last years model.

also you could try to find a demo bike.

#17 ·
Thats a tough one. I personally wouldn't risk it. Sounds like a lot of money for a damaged bike. Could end up costing just as much as a brand new leftover by the time you go through it. I can only imagine how much bmw parts are.

#20 ·
I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Like someone already said, "ten grand is ten grand" and I'd have to put a lot of work into the bike before it would even be able to ride the streets :|

Sounds like a lot if it will have a salvage title.
Personally, I think the bike will probably sit there for awhile, unless someone with lots of cash rolls up and I don't have money like that, lol! got dough but not rich at all :shakehand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.