Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

No fuel prime and no spark

10K views 51 replies 5 participants last post by  MachRider 
#1 ·
Ok let me start off by saying that I am not troubleshooting a 600rr, but the bike is very similar. (06 1000rr) I am very desperate to figure out the problem, so ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I tried posting on 1000rr.net but have had no help, please 600rr brothers, prove to me for the 100th time why this site is the best!

The information: I bought the bike wrecked. I completely disassembled it and put it back together. It didn't run when I took it apart because I didn't have the headlight harness. I now have it back together and I cannot get it to spark or prime the fuel system. First I bought a new battery because the one that was in it was completely dead.

I put a multimeter on the negative battery terminal to the grounding spot on the frame that has two grounds going to it. It was good.
I tested all of the relays, and they all tested good. (I did this by following the instructions in the service manual.) You can hear it click when you flip the kill switch.
The kill switch is good and was verified with the multimeter.
I jumped the outer wires for the bank angle sensor.
There are no blown fuses.
I replaced the fuel pump because that tested bad. I jumped it and it wouldn't turn on. I also checked for voltage going to it and there was none when I turned the key. New pump when jumped turned on, but still no voltage to it.
The MIL does not blink.

This isn't making sense to me. I am about to buy a different ecm and wiring harness. I am hoping that it is something simple but it's not looking that way. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

See less See more
#28 ·
No problem, that should get you fixed up. T

#35 ·
I've had a mint/low mileage 06 1000rr a year or so ago and yeah they are MUCH faster than the rc51s. I bought my rc just because I wanted one strictly for the street lol. The sound and look do it for me. My 1krr will definitely see the track and I am sure is much easier to ride faster on as well.

#37 ·
I couldn't bring myself to put mine on the track. 7k miles with not even a scratch on it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I went down with it. On the street I am good on it because I am taller/bigger. Could be a little more comfy though.

#39 ·
Is the bas pointed correctly? Key cycled after the wiring has been installed?

#41 ·
If you manually trigger the fuel pump relay can you get it to start?

#44 ·
How would i connect them in parallel? I am new to this and am not understanding how I should have the volt meter connected for the test? I am starting to think it's a bad crank sensor, I just remembered that the bike sat outside for probably a year under a cover and the guy had I believe the crank sensor just hanging outside of the right crankcase cover (it's supposed to be mounted inside it, and now is)

#45 ·
I haven't done this, but check the manual for crank sensor troubleshooting. Should say how to check to make sure it's working.

#47 · (Edited)
I didn't look back, but has there been any issue with the kill switch? No spark and no fuel pump is the only thing aside from kick stand that I can think would be a KISS component. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

EDIT: I see you played with the killswitch... but kickstand? May be easily overlooked and I've seen the push-pin get stuck and cause unbelievable headaches.

#49 ·
Well I am pleased to tell you that I woke up early this morning and decided to swap out wiring harnesses. When I unplugged the cam sensor I found that the wiring was messed up. I continued to swap harnesses. Turned the key and the pump primed. Hit the ignition and it fired right up. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

#52 ·
Problem solved shortly after I propose a possible solution.

Of course by suggesting kickstand and killswitch, I meant cam position sensor.

Glad you caught on. It's one of those "Don't give the answer, let the grasshopper search for it."

*Insert smiley of choice here*

Happy you found it! Unfortunate you had to pull the harness, but better knowing you've found the problem! I just noticed you have an RC51. You're an alright guy in my book! (I've got an 06)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.