Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Idle Adjustment not working

18K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  NewRedRider 
#1 ·
03, 600RR

The idle on my bike dropped below 1K rpms and when i went to adjust it out nothing happens. The Idle stop adjustment knob will spin one way and never seems to stop and if I spin it the other way it spins and eventually seems to tighten up and stop spinning.

Does anyone know whats on the other end of the adjustment knob. I assume it goes to the throttle body but Im not sure exactly how it hooks up. Also is the knob supossed to turn inside the tubing that goes up to the throttle body or is the whole tube supposed to turn.

If anyone has had this problem and knows the answer to the questions I would appreciate the assistance before I have to pull the tank and all that other junk just to find out whats goin on.

Thanks in advance.

G
#2 ·
from looking at section 6 of the manual it looks like it is doubtful that the problem is at the throttle body where it connects. it actually refers to the piece you are talking about as the "throttle stop screw knob." i would first look at the part you can see where the knob is. seems like you may have turned it too far and loosened the screw there. the manual doesn't really go into detail about that piece though.

you can see a good pic of where it is connected to the throttle body on page 6-82. it is directly underneath the wax unit at the first picture on the page.

#3 ·
I looked at the manual as well, no clear details on the connections that are obvious to me.

As for turning it too far you may be right. However I wonder if the tube is supposed to turn when you twist the knob or is it supposed to turn inside the tub?

#12 ·
Answer: Hose underneath gas tank floats. When the adjustment on the throttle body gets a little sticky the hose tends to bind up. Once I pulled the tank and associated junk, I was able to move the tank up to the seat and back up the hose as it turned. When the hosed started to kink up I was able to straighten the hose out and continue to adjust idle in that direction.

To me this is a cludgey design. If they had put a hose clamp somewhere along the lenght of the hose closer to the throttle body it could of held the cable in place so it could be adjusted if the adjustment bolt is a little stiff. Just my two cents.

Anyhow, thats what I had to do to adjust the idle. Pity to those who find themselves in the same situation. Its kind of a pig!!!

#15 ·
Not sure if I should revive this old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one. I have just run into this issue. A buddy of mine suggested lowering the idle as it was a little high and after some tinkering it is now stuck on 1k rpm and not responding to any further adjustments to the idle screw. My Clymer manual for my '06 just got here so I feel I should be able to fix this myself. Is there any particular reason you guys suggest taking it to a shop rather than trying to fix it yourself other than it being a hassle? Is there anything I should be looking out for if I jump into this project of fixing my idle adjustment?

#17 ·
Simple fix dude. Pull your tank cover, pop your tank up and there's your wax nut with a sort of nipple....sorry for the bad description. You can move said nipple up or down to adjust the idle. Friend of mine had the same issue. It took all of 20 minutes. T handle Allen keys are great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 ·
I have a high idle issue as well, running about 3K rpm in gear. Hooked up the JBpro to the computer ans im showing about 2-4% throttle at idle. I tried messing with that idle adjustment cable as well, found it frozen as many on here seem to have. I just went ahead and ordered a new WAX assembly and cable, seems like just replacing all that should help and still be cheaper than taking it to a dealer... I dont have too much experience with bikes, but am I right in thinking this should solve my high idle issue? or is there more to it considering I am showing that kind of throttle reading at idle?

#23 ·
Back in the day people would buy an aftermarket exhaust and it would change the idle speed. Instead of trying to remap the bike or check the starter valves they simply tried to raise the idle with the idle screw. Sounds right. But the idle screw adjuster is a fine tune adjuster. The adjustments needed for some bikes was too much to accomplish with the idle screw and they wound up breaking the the idle screw adjuster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.