Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

easiest way to get oil filter off

13K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  clx 
#1 ·
my hands are to big to fit in between the headers and oil filter to get a grip on my '04, is there an easier way.
going to pick up some channel locks to give those a shot.

#3 ·
remove right lower (right if you are sitting on bike) .. losen coolent res tank, move tank out of way, reach in from side, grab, and turn

#5 ·
This gets asked alot. Of course the easiest way is with a nut at the end of the filter. But the OEM filters I get that isnt an option. What I do is..This gonna sound nuts. When the bike is up on the stands lay on your back facing the front wheel so your head is by the foot peg. You can then extend your arm and get your hand in between the bottom of the header and a good grip on the filter. You dont need to torque the hell out of them either. Spin it on until it resists and then go another quarter turn. Thats all you need.

#17 ·
when i bought my 2005 cbr, i couldn't get the oil filter off, because it was somehow rusted..

so i just took a screwdriver and and hammered it into the oil filter an used the screwdriver as a lever...got a little messy, but it got the job done...

now i use an oil filter key ;)

#22 ·
how are you guys having trouble reaching in there?? i'm 6'2" 195lbs and i can just reach right in, take it off, put new one on. no fairing removal

do i have tiny arms/hands or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.