Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Did Honda really sacrifice the RR's reliability for better performance?

5K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  tornado bait 
#1 ·
Whats up everyone. Happy Thanks Giving to all.

Anyway I own a 2003 CBR 600RR. Took it to the dealer for an oil change and talked to a fellow rider while waiting. He was there for a tire change for his GoldWing or VFR, but it looked like some kind of a touring motorcycle. We talked about mileage and said he had around 70k on his bike, and told me that my 600RR wont see that kind of mileage in the original engine. I asked him why and this is what he said. "Basically the RR started representing the Moto GP race bikes. They used titanium valves, Higher Compression, Lighter alloys to trade for performance which reduces durability." He seemed pretty knowledgeable about motorcycles as he has been riding his whole life. He even said that my Yoshi RS5 Pipe will lessen my bikes life because I didnt have a power commander nor had it tuned. He said the bike will run lean and mess up the exhaust valves.

Just wanted to post here to get your opinions. He even said that I should have not sold my first bike (F4I) because it had a similar design to the VFR which Honda made to be reliable first, Performance second.

#3 ·
He is right and wrong. Right in the fact that as you increase performance, reliability 'tends' to decrease.

But he is wrong. Our bikes are reliable as long as you keep up with the maintenance schedules. I have heard of many RR's reaching over 100k miles and the original engine and bike as a whole still runs great - basically like day one.

#5 ·
I am not convinced that guy knew what he was talking about. I am, first of all, not even sure the 600RR has titanium valves (maybe the new 2013 one might) but regardless of that, putting the words "titanium valves", or titanium anything for that matter, together with "reduces reliability" does not sound right to me, at least not in production machines. Titanium is the choice material when you want to make something strong and reliable but also ring every bit of performance out of it and the stock 600RR engine is not tuned to such an extreme.

#6 ·
Mine came factory filled with extra virgin olive oil!!!

#11 ·
The guy do not know squat about the RR and he simply got you shook up by a few rich words that made it look like he is a knowledgeable that is all there is to it .From my own exp 94 CBR F2 sold with 56K miles and ran strong , 03 CBR600RR 48K miles and ran strong as well , 07 CBR600RR 29K and still performing brilliant for its current owner who is a member here love your bike she will love you back and them some

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.