Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How to Adjust Valve Clearance

82K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  SilliG 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: This is meant as a guide only, please purchase a service manual or take it to the shop if you're unsure of what you're doing. Cross reference helps, so watch the videos I posted under "reference" and another guide written for another bike also under the same section. I take no responsibility for any damages due to breaking, kicking, cursing, or even beating your wife while performing this process.

Finally, if you've come to this link, that means your engine valve clearance is out of specification and it needs to be adjusted. This how-to is a continuation of the adjustment process posted below. This guide is not for checking for valve clearance. Use the link below if it's your first time performing valve clearance.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=60098

Tools Required:

• Torque Wrench
  • Camshaft Tensioner Tool (Can be crafted, see below.)
  • Feeler Gauge
  • Shims
  • Micrometer or Caliper Measurement Tool
  • Magnetic Tool
  • All other standard mechanic tools
  • Chips, Beers, Soy Sauce, Ketchup, whatever keeps you full. It will take 1-2 days up to couple weeks depending on your knowledge and given you didn't order any replacement parts that you broke like I did.
If you refer to the link above to do your valve clearance measurements, DO NOT install the Cylinder Head Cover or the Timing Cap. Leave it there as you're going to work on the engine.

Step 1:
Line up the index mark T with the notch (figure 35) and make sure the "IN" and the "EX" line sits flush with the engine (figure 36). If you're having trouble lining up all three, just line up the index mark T. This means that the cylinder is at TDC (Top Dead Center - figure 37). The camshaft "IN" and "EX" can be adjusted to sit flush with the engine casing later.

Step 2:
Fabricate the Camshaft Chain Tensioner Tool with a sheet metal thickness of 1.0mm. If you don't have one handy, you'll need to find a small screw driver that fits inside the tensioner and somehow hold it in place. You can also order one at Honda Dealership, part #07ZMG-MCAA400.

Step 3:
Remove the toolbox, camshaft chain tensioner lifter sealing bolt, and the washer. Insert the Camshaft Chain Tensioner Tool into the tensioner and rotate it clockwise until it is fully retracted. It's a flat head bolt inside that you're trying to turn. You'll will feel the friction as the spring compresses and it will want to spin the opposite direction. Once fully retracted, lock the tensioner in position but leave the tensioner component on the engine. Do not remove it yet. Failure to do this might cause damages to the engine.

Locked position pictured below:

Step 4:
Remove the Chain Guide bolts and the Chain Guide.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Step 5:
Loosen all 20 bolts securing the camshaft in a crisscross pattern slowly and evenly. Do not loosen any one bolt all the way out. You will damage the camshaft holders and other components.

In a nutshell, bolt 1 - 8 are the ones with a copper washer. When removing these bolts, BE EXTRA CAREFUL. If the copper washer falls inside the engine, the magnetic tool will not help. Bolts 9, 10, 13, 15, 17, and 19 are short. Bolts 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 are long.

Step 6:
Note the label "L" for left and "R" for right on the camshaft holder. It will need to be in the exact position when reinstalling.

Lift both camshaft holders off. It might be hard to lift, but use a mullet or any soft hammer and gently tap on the casing to get it to budge. If you're going to use a flat head to lift, make sure you take proper care as you don't want to scratch the engine surface. Watch for the locating dowels as shown in figure 57 under step 7.

Step 7:
Remove the Right Side Locating Holder labeled as "B" in figure 44.

Step 8:
Use a permanent marker or any pen that will stick through oil and mark the position of the chain to the sprocket. This will save you from doing any guess work when you put everything back. I didn't label mine because it was my first time doing valve adjustment and lacking experience.

Step 9:
Use a rope, rubberband, or bungee cord to secure the chain to the bike's frame preventing it from dropping inside the engine. You'll need a miracle to fish it out if it is dropped inside.

Step 10:
Removing the camshafts are optional. After so many tries, I was able to get the shims out of the valves without removing the camshafts. I derailed the "IN" camshaft to one side while removing the valve lifter and the shims and did the same for the "EX" camshaft. If you can't get access to the shims, then remove the camshaft. Be sure to note which one is "IN" and which one is "EX" and its position.

Step 11:
Use the magnetic tool to lift the valve lifter bucket and the shims from the engine valves. Replace the shim with the correct size and install it back into the engine NOT on the valve lifter bucket. It will not stick!

Important: The valve lifter will need to be in the EXACT location where it was taken out. If you don't want to deal with the valve lifter being shuffled around, I suggest do one valve adjustment at a time and put it back.

*Refer to the excel sheet below for Valve Clearance, Old Shim Thickness, and New Shim Calculations.

Shim Calculation and Measurement Templates

Shim Replacement Notes:
Let's say my valve clearance is .002" or 5.08mm out of spec. The measured old shim thickness is .076" or 1.929mm. The new shim calculated by the formula, A = (B - C) + D, yields .080" or 2.035mm. The closest shim that they've manufactured is .0787" or 2.00mm. Inserting a 2.00mm which is labeled 200 will put my valve clearance out of specs. This is where you'll have to use your best judgment and take the average. Old shim's thickness is 1.929mm, new shim thickness suggested 2.00mm, your best bet is to use 1.95mm or 195. The average used here is not the exact average but manufacture only produce a .05 incremented shim, pick the one closer to the original shim thickness.

Places to buy shims:

#3 · (Edited)
Installation Procedure

Once all the shims are replaced, it's time to put back the camshaft, chains, camshaft holders, and etc...

Step 1:
Make sure the cylinder is at TDC. It shouldn't be moved during the the camshaft removal process. Install the labeled "EX" or exhaust camshaft toward the front of the engine. Line up the index mark "EX" with the engine casing and loop the chain around the sprocket. If you've initially marked a reference point as described in Step 8, line it up with the marks.​

Step 2:
Instal the intake camshaft the same way as the exhaust camshaft and recheck to make sure the "T" index marked is at TDC. Adjust if necessary.​

Step 3:
Install the right side camshaft holder. It is shown in Step 7 above. Push it down as far as you can and check to make sure the camshafts are locked into position. Do not bolt it down yet.​

Step 4:
Install the two center camshaft holders in place. Note, they will not sit neatly on top of the cylinder head due to spring pressure.​

Step 5:
Applied a bit of engine oil onto the bolts and hand screw all 8 center bolts and washers. Next, hand screw the remaining 12 bolts in the order shown in step 5. In this order, gradually tightened bolts 5, 6, 7, and 8 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time to push the camshaft holder down evenly. Then, tighten the remaining bolts from 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time in the correct order. Finally, torque the bolts to 12 Nm or 106 in.-lb. I broke one of the bolt because I over torque it and too cheap to buy a torque wrench. It cost me $8 for a new bolt and 1.5 weeks of waiting.​

Step 6:
Slowly and carefully un-tension the tensioner by turning counter-clockwise. It will violently spring back so becareful.​

Step 7:
Check for valve clearance again as described in the previous how-to guide. If any of the valves are not within specification, repeat this guide to change out the shim. Failure to do so will cause damage to the engine and it will not start. I had to redo this process at least 5 times, so again, choose the new shims closest to the original shim. Too close will put your valve clearance out of spec again. Make your best judgement.​

Step 8:
Install the camshaft chain guide, timing hole cap, and cylinder head cover. Before reinstall the cylinder head cover, remove the old gasket sealant and apply a small amount of new gasket sealer into the cylinder head cover gasket, especially the half circle section. Torque the cylinder head cover bolts to 10 Nm or 88 in.-lb. Again, broke another bolt here. Cost another $8, 5 hours trying to remove the remaining piece, and 1.5 week for new parts. I went out and got a torque wrench immediately. You may get by without a torque wrench but some of these bolts have been under a lot of stress and it's old so it may not have the same strength as when it was new. Bottom line, get a torque wrench. I'm happy with it and all my installation has been worried free.​

Step 9:
Check and double check for valve clearance; otherwise, you'll end up wasting a lot more time going back to fix the issue. If everything meet specification, reverse the installation step as described in this guide and the previous guide. Before slapping on all the fairings, make sure the bike does start first.​

---------------------------------------
References:

http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/valvejob/valvejob.htm

#21 ·
So is it 0.001" more than the tolerance allows or 0.001" out from the nominal?

#22 ·
.001 out of tolerance...it was .006 clearance instead of the nominal .008

I changed the shim anyway - i was already that far into the bike I might as well have.

Waiting on throttle cables in the mail before i can see if I successfully put the bike back together without bending a valve from misaligned cams :crackup:

#23 ·
Good call. If it had have been in the tolerance I wouldn't have worried about it but once it's out... time to do something about it.

What did you shim it back to? I would have gone back to 0.008 - 0.009...

#29 ·
hey guys, if my clearances on my inlet valve are just within spec, is it worth doing the shims anyways?

my inlets are reading 0.18mm, specs say 0.20mm +/- 0.03mm

my exhaust are reading 0.20mm, specs say 0.28mm +/- 0.03mm, since i'm going to be doing my exhaust shims, should i just do the inlets since i have to rip out all the cam stuff?

#31 ·
Thanks dreamboyz, one more question though, if all my feeler gauge readings are the same

inlets are .18mm and exhaust are .20mm, would that in turn mean that i would need one sized shim for all the inlets and one sized shim for all the exhaust?

i was thinking of buying the shim kit, but if the above is the case, it's probably not worth it for me as i'll still need extra shims or have too much...

#32 ·
It's extremely HIGHLY very unlikely that every single one of your intake valves AND exhaust valves are out of spec to the SAME EXACT DEGREE!?

The only way I could see this as even being feasible is if your bike is COMPLETELY stock and every single instance of ignition was uniform over the entire life of the bike. Meaning same temps, fuel, spark, ignition etc. There's just no way that this is possible.

I dont know, maybe I'm wrong...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.