Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2013 cbr600rr msrp ?

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Hrcfan1 
#1 ·
so the 2013 cbr msrp should be lower than the rest of 600s. if u look at all the features on the other bikes: slipper clutch, three mode throttle mapping, traction control, adjustable rear sets, name brand brakes(brembo), adjustable intake runners, horse power. HONDA is at the bottom. so why pay the same for a inferior product, when for the same price you can get so much more with another brand of bike. the only way honda can compete with the better bikes is by lowering their MSRP. sorry to say but if hondas cbr 600rr msrp is more than 10,500 i am going to another brand. sorry honda you fell to far behind.

#5 ·
or just wait till honda has their big bonus bucks sale and there's leftovers on the floor,
thats how I got my brand new 09 for $6900

#11 ·
Man, that's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeediculous! I paid just under 10K for a used '09, same color scheme as yours, with ABS and a couple of nice mods added. You could say I got screwed and I would say the same if I lived in the USA, but that's what the prices are like here in Italy, and they're worse in other countries.

On topic, I think you'd be a fool to buy a Honda if the prices are so high on the new models as the OP suggested. The new Kawi is awesome. I might still go for Honda for reliability and what will probably still be a higher quality, but their prices are getting a little silly and an MV Agusta F3 goes for less than the RR, while the Ducati 848 goes for just a slightly higher MSRP here (less than a 15% difference if I remember correctly, but obviously other factors to consider), although they never offer deals and Honda tends to drop it's prices once they hit the dealers.

I love my Honda and have had 3 Honda bikes, but I'm not really brand loyal - I repeated purchases because the bikes never let me down. I had 2 in Japan - a CB400 and a 600RR, but the RR was the cheapest there as a new bike because it was the only one on the market - all the other 600s had to be "reverse imported" (as they told me) from the USA or Europe, pushing up prices. I'd love a change just to get a better sense of other bikes and Honda's new ones aren't exactly inspiring me.

#8 ·
MSRP isnt based on what feature set they offer versus other motorcycle companies. It is based on what people are willing to pay, Hondas have a goo reputation for not only longevity but for best fit and finish. There are a lot of people who will pay a premium for both of those, just look at cars and Hondas and Toyotas.

I was truck shopping last year and for the price I paid for my Tacoma I could have gotten a loaded chevrolet colorado or nissan frontier. But Tacomas have the reputation, the insane resale value, and the fit and finish, yet doesnt have nearly the features the other 2 vehicles offer.

It is the same way with the Honda vs the other companies.

#13 ·
I'm buying the 2013. Just waiting for it to come in. If you need all that wiz bang crap on your bike then you'll probably not be looking @ Honda. Honda has never worried about keeping up with the joneses in the gadgets department. They make reliable fast bikes. Top or bottom you can read just about any shootout & i'll almost guarantee that the one thing they will always say is the Honda is the easiest to ride fast. Nuff for me. My driveway doesn't lead out onto the track so i don't care for how track focused a bike is. Don't even get me started on "modes" "rider aids" trac control" or whatever you want to call it. On a middleweight?!! Get real!

#14 ·
I doubt that the new bike will be significantly less, if any, in term of MSRP, which is at least what they will be selling for for a while. But if it'll $13K or a little more, I just don't see any reason to buy a slightly revised 600 when you can get a 1K for not much more.

I picked my '12 up brand new a couple of months ago for 9300 flat and thought that was a good deal. Now I know why they did it, to get more volume out so they can get more '13 allocated to them. I actually like the look of my '12 more than the '13s. Worked out good for both the dealer and I.

Reactions: jskit
#15 · (Edited)
They may be pricey at first... But with the mula you save over the years from NOT having to pay for repairs, it pretty much pays itself off.
And like someone else said, if someone desperately wants power modes or rider aids or even a freaking gear indicator, they shouldn't be riding a 600 sportbike.
IMO it's pointless and stupid. Like traction control on 100hp cars.

#16 ·
To all the ppl badgering on all the extras that other bikes come with these days, pointless as they might be according y'all, are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't like ur cbr more if it came with gear indicator, traction control, adjustable rearset, brembo brakes, and more HP for the same msrp??? get real and stop being so bias.

#17 ·
Bias huh? It's called an opinion. Once technology is introduced people just have to have it. I know what gear my bike is in, because i put it there, if you need a gear ind good for you. Trac control on a 600. You get real. Why do you need that? Just because its out there? So you can tell your buds hey i have that? No thanks. Nobody said anything about not wanting better brakes, or more HP for the same $.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 · (Edited)
Luxury package cbr? What?? I think you're missing the point of the RR. Motorcycles are supposed to be the most basic, down to earth, man to machine connection there is. Just the man and the machine, no nonsense in between. It's part of the reason bikes are funner than cars.
Compare this to the GTR or Veyron. Great cars for sure, but boring to drive bc you hardly have to do anything.

#21 ·
I agree. I'm old-school & think the rider should control the bike 100%. Smooth operation of the right wrist. I think there are many reasons why the moto GP series has gone down hill & one of them is rider aids. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#22 ·
That's why I left Honda, well one of the reasons. Don't get me wrong i loved my 07 an wish I could have kept it to maybe track it or just take it for a spin here and there. But, these other brands of bikes r just better than Hondas. There putting on the R&D and it's showing. Honda besides there reliability is in the back of the pack right now. IMO there msrp is way high compared to others and I feel it's gonna hurt their sales, I also could be wrong. But I know in Pittsburgh u don't see many Hondas on the road compared to gsxr's, r6's, an kawis... Plus these nice little add ons there putting on the bikes such as gear indicator, and brembo a r really nice especially for a lower msrp than Honda. I love my gear indicator especially on the track, prob one of my favorites that my Honda didn't have. Plus people say there not the real brembo a, believe me my 13 Gsxr 600 stops very well, way better than my Honda. So real brembos or not the braking is alot better. I just think Honda needs to step there game up, yes everyone has their personal preference and some of these add ons no one may care about, but I feel alot more people would rather have these add ons than not have them, especially when ur paying 10-12k for a 600... Basically I dont think there is a reason y Honda has not put these add ons on their bikes. Atleast a gear indicator I mean come on. Also, last thing besides gear indicator, the slipper clutch on the Gsxr is amazing. Never really thought it was worth it until I came up to turn 1 at beaver run at about 100mph and started downshifting quick as hell and it was soo smooth, no rear tire lockup at all. Slipper clutch def is awesome...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 ·
I think if the 13 performed better than the other brands without the extras then it would justify the price. If it was fastest around the track and beat the others that had the extras then it would be a hell of a bike, but unfortunately it doesn't. It doesn't really shine in any category, and will only sell for aesthetic reasons primarily. The other brands sure can design some fugly bikes!
Since the RR is supposed to be an aggressive track model, they should really track it out like the 675R. that thing even comes with stainless braided lines stock! Honda's problem is they are trying to make it a well rounded bike to suit lots of buyers, but they already have a ridiculous amount of bikes in their line up!
I use my RR for track only and it has done it's job well for me at least, but sometimes it has me thinking am I missing out on something?

#26 · (Edited)
Why do you pay more? It's a Honda.

IMO, of the Japanese manufacturers if put in order would be Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and then Kawasaki...and Honda believes this too, even if they are are slipping a little with the base components for the 600.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but let's face it Honda is all about reliability when it comes to their machines...whether it be two, four, a mower, or a generator. The fact that the consumer is willing to pay it creates the environment for Honda to maintain its price.

The guy that said "daily driver" hit the nail on the head. You want it to run forever (assuming you change the oil), buy a Honda, you want all the gizmos and out of the box lap times, buy a Kawasaki and know you'll be working on it.

edited to add:

The other reason I respect Honda is that they went away from the current fairing trend and did something different. It took some balls to do, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the other manufacturers head the same direction if the consumer base supports the move.

#27 ·
The basic thing behind all this arguing about techno wizardry is honestly 95% of these bike do not make it to the track, another 90% are not ridden to the point anything other than ABS would be used on their typical ride and "most" people consider a 600 a stepping stone to bigger bikes so why mess up a package with unneeded crap to go wrong or intimidate? The honest truth is the vast majority of us would be just as happy with how we "normally" ride on an old F3 than the RR and probably be more comfortable to boot. Look through the threads and see how many of these bikes are used for show or to impress; other than bragging rights, how many actually know at a slipper clutch does?

Is Honda asking too much? Yup. And when we don't go out in droves to buy them they will have a ton of leftovers like usual that they will have to dump using rebates at the end of the year. And we'll then pay the price they hound have asked in the first place. Like I did for my new '11 a few months ago, under $9500 OTD with brand new OEM 07 lowers.

But a "bad" bike or somehow lacking? No way. Back when I started riding we had slipper clutches as well, we simply called them clutch levers......

Mike

#28 ·
Loved my F3. Fast AND comfortable. I Iike my bikes without gadgets thank you very much. Old school. Right wrist is my traction control. Man & machine. I love reading how when theses testers go to a bike without the electronic nanny & state how they realize their skills are rusty. Yup. Makes me chuckle every time.

Reactions: Miweber929
#29 ·
^ Exactly why I bought a 600 after all these years on liters: I realized how rusty I was skills wise and how I was relying on brute power to mask poor shifting technique and pure laziness and it was hampering my spirited and track riding. I could have bought the latest and greatest techno flagship but simple and reliable are where the fun lies.

If you ever want to test yourself as a rider find someone with a tuned 2 stroke street bike like an RD350 or Kawasaki triple and attempt to ride your favorite twisty section using a 3.000 rpm powerband and flexible chassis where if you're a gear low you have no drive at all or the chassis snaps back like a spring if you hit too many bumps in a row while leaned over. Or having it seize one cylinder at 80mph on the interstate because an oil injection line came undone.

Then tell me how "old technology" the CBR is.......

Reactions: Hrcfan1
#30 ·
I like the middleweights for the same reason. Skills & work. Pretty soon we'll lose some skills when all the bikes have the electric nanny. Why be fluid with the throttle. Just ham fist it whenever you want. The TC will keep everything in check. Jam breaks wherever you feel like it. The ABS will keep everything in check. Who needs the skill of matching gears with revs when you have a slipper clutch?

Reactions: Miweber929
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.