Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday...

31K views 438 replies 78 participants last post by  Bridge_Jumper 
#1 ·
So I got pulled over last week for my license plate being too low, by the California Highway Patrol. They pulled me over and had 3 officer's come in and look at my bike. Had me on the curb everything, searched me, searched the bike. They told me the bike was probably stolen, and they think my VIN # is tampered with. When I purchased the bike, I checked the VIN and the Seller's CA.ID. The name on the title and the VIN # Matched. Didn't see anything fishy to me. I got the bike insured and everything in my name. The registration is paid until September of 2013. So I'm legit as you can get. However, on Tuesday, I have to take my bike to the CHP offices in Redwood City, CA. They told me I have to leave my bike there for a few days while they perform "tests" on it. Well, they really think It's stolen. I don't. What would you guys do? What do you guys think? If it was stolen why the hell wouldn't they just tow it right then and there? Why would they let me ride it home, and around still (I told them this is my ONLY mode of transportation) Also. If the bike was stolen how would I possibly be able to insure a "stolen" VIN #? Any help would be appreciated. Personally I think this is a case of " Young Guy On A Sports Bike Being Harassed"... Any thoughts opinions anything? I'm scared shitless. If they take it, they take a piece of my soul, my transportation and I'm out $4K....Damn man, I hope NONE of you EVER EVER EVER have to go through this heart wrenching ordeal. Thanks guys.

#101 ·
Man thats tough tribal i hope it all works out for you. Good luck man. I dont know how theft laws work but did the leo that visited you mention any compensation from the guy that sold it to you?
Seems odd about the other thread you had about being pulled over and the leo mentioning a stolen bike. Do you think the two incidents are related like they have known for a while?

Best of luck.

Reactions: TRIBAL05BLACK
#108 ·
Tribal, I don't know if you've already turned your bike over to them. If you have not done it yet, DO NOT TAKE IT TO THEM. There is this thing called the Bill of Rights. The 4th Amendment protects you from unlawful searches and seizures. If they want your bike, make them work for it and use the legal process. Tell them to get a court ordered search warrant. One thing that I learned when I got my pilot's license is that you never surrender anything to the authorities. Doing so will ensure you will never get it back. If anything call a lawyer and see if they will give you some free advice. If you could find a lawyer that specializes in the 4th Amendment that would be even better.

Make them use the legal system, that is why it is in place!!!

I did a quick search to see if the police could seize/impound your personal property without a warrant, and it doesn't seem (to me atleast) that it is legal for them to do. They may threaten you that they are going to do it anyways, but legally I do not think they can. IANAL so I'm not 100% on that.

Good luck bro, I hope for the best for you!

#110 ·
I kind of can't they already stated if I don't bring it in, they will take it by force costing me upwards off 900-2000$ for the processing and everything. I'd rather take it in, look good to them by being honorable, maybe help my situation. Also, they know where I work, they said they would come arrest me in my work, meaning I would lose my job. Def not worth the risk of not just handing it over.

#109 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the support! The CHP is really working with me, they said as long as I can prove the mods I put on the bike are mine, I can come back and take them off, if the bike gets confiscated. Which is cool of them. They said I would probably lose my money. But from what MoeMan and myself spoke of during PM last night. I believe the seller had a totaled bike and sold it after being payed out. So I was sold a totaled bike, but in which (the title is legal and real) He sold it to me with the original non salvage title. Meaning he lied, and when I questioned him lied. So I can go after him, because a new California law states that (without) being asked a seller must include the info on whether or not it's been in an accident or is 100% a salvage title. So If ANYTHING I can sue him for that at least. Also just in case I've got 2k right now, by the end of the onth I should have 2.5-3.2k So I'm thinking about having that and maybe in the middle of december (bikes are always cheaper during "rainy" season. Going to a dealership and waving that in their face " FINANCE ME IDGAF!!!!!!!" lol.... Shitty thing you guys might not like : I kinda want an R6 lol... But if I get to keep my bike, I'll def stick with a 600RR.
So thank you guys again for the support and to MoeMan for the PM and just talking to me making me feel better and easing my mind

#120 ·
I believe the seller had a totaled bike and sold it after being payed out. So I was sold a totaled bike, but in which (the title is legal and real) He sold it to me with the original non salvage title. Meaning he lied, and when I questioned him lied. So I can go after him, because a new California law states that (without) being asked a seller must include the info on whether or not it's been in an accident or is 100% a salvage title.
Ehmm, no.

The VIN has been tampered with and it doesn't match the VIN on the sticker. The sticker is almost impossible to remove and you can't get a new one from Honda...

If he had sold you the bike with the non-salvage title he wouldn't have needed to stamp a new VIN on the bike, as the VIN doesn't magically change when you wreck the bike. You probably have a stolen bike with forged documents or the documets of another bike that lives in a different state or no longer exists.

And to make it worse, the VIN on the sticker does match that of a stolen bike...

#112 ·
I don't think it's a case of that, My family spoke to the officer, he is on my side says im a "good kid" and believes that I am the victim here. As long as they are on my side, I will cooperate as much as I possibly can.
I really dislike cops, but this officer is really making a case for them. seems the CHP is a Lot more " to serve and to protect" then the local PD whose out to "Pillage and Neglect"

#113 ·
Tribal
Like I told you before if you have the means to take what ever mods you added to the bike off do it before handing it over to them rather then deal with the what if,s later down the road cause once that bike is in the impound lot you will not be allowed to go near it they can talk and promise all they want now but later words might & will change

#114 ·
unlaw search and seizure??? look at that damn vin tag its unlawful to be in pocession of the bike... stop with its the cops fault bs, im not blamin or insinuating the op is in the wrong but the pd sure in the hell didnt buy the bike nor did they fail to register it back in august and ride it till now a week into november or did what ever the op did to get pulled over in the first place... he was pulled over they ran his papers and its not registered to him case closed u screwed up. heres a senerio, if the bike is legal the seller could have the guy arrested and get my bike back and keep his money... he messed upsucks to say it, learn from it.

#115 ·
and im not pickin on the op, like i told moe last night i have a close friend here in missouri he went out and bought a badass saleen mustang but couldnt title it, apparently the seller whos off the grid now, put the ecu body kit and vin badge in the dash on a regular gt... guess what hes out a 14000 and the car. it sucks good people get screwed by dicks everyday just do ur homework first

#116 ·
Red RR I said in the beginning it was the cops after me. However after reviewing talking everything over with people I admitted the cops were doing the job. And actually the bike is registered to me. Previous owner went to the DMV. Everything that gets called in comes back with MY NAME on it. My bike is being taken in under a suspicious VIN and nothing more
Nothing less. I got pulled over because my license plate is tucked too low. So you do not need to be rude or at least read the other posts where I am supporting the police officers and the CHP. Seriously. Rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#117 ·
And I never said it was unlawful search and seizure. **** happens so yeah other people said it not me

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#118 ·
The VIN on the sticker, not the VIN stamped on the frame, does appear to belong to a stolen bike.

The VIN stamped on the frame, the one that looks crooked, is not the original VIN that belongs to that frame, that would be the VIN on the sticker...

It's a tampered bike. They will be able to locate the owner using the real VIN, JH2PC37025M210569.

#119 ·
Sucks about your bike, but in the end, all of this because of the way your plate was mounted. Thats why I tell these young kids, keep your **** stock, yea it may not be the cool thing to have stock blinkers, and your plate stock. But now look at all the **** you are going through. leave your bike stock and stealthy and let your riding make you cool.

#126 · (Edited)
Tribal is actually lucky to get pulled over because that was the main door way into fixing all this theft crap he got involved in cause I believe if he was stopped at a later stage where he had put in mod money into his bike he would have lost that money for sure plus the police would have assumed he is on the take of stolen property knowing the bike is in fact stolen & that would have caused major legal trouble that what it is now a buyer that was coned

#121 ·
It could be a salvaged bike. It shows up in the NICB database with a "theft record" which means it was either reported as stolen, or declared as a salvage. Somebody could have taken other parts from a different bike (frame, engine, subframe, etc.) and put it on this bike which must have had a clean title at the time. They probably then tried to make all of the numbers match so that a potential buyer wouldn't think the bike was salvaged

#124 ·
damn, sucks bro but as others hope it gets sorted and you're not out money and the bike, good luck and keep us posted!

#125 ·
op i wasnt sayin you were cop bashing its the lawyers sayin dont do this and dont do that, well ya u can play along their way but its just gonna make a bigger mess. like i said if u can prove no ill intent ur fine but if u have a stolen or fraudulant bike and ur the only one around(no seller, or original owner) that really leaves you hangin on the gallows doesnt it?

#127 ·
Oh ok I misunderstood. Well either way, however this goes down. I probably have a stolen bike..Did I steal it myself? No. The cops are on my side, they aren't holding me responsible for it. They are not pressing charges, and I have not and Will not be arrested. I have spoken to them already. I have been in contact with the officer since the day of the incident. If it goes down I lose out, I lose out. I messed up not properly checking VIN and what not. I may lose my money, and or I may not. Either way I got 2k already, I plan on saving some more. So I will have a new or better bike within the next 3 months. That is how I am going to look at things. Be it as it may, If I do however get a new bike. I will be getting a Yamaha R6. Unless I can find a steal of a deal on a CBR. I love the CBR but I wanted a Yamaha from the get go but I found this bike and assumed it was a good deal and what not. Well either way mistakes were made, but I will not be held responsible for the actions of the seller. They let me know that already.

#128 · (Edited)
Tribal
You forgot the option of selling the mods taken off the bike and the mods you own but did not install yet to raise your new bike fund . In addition suing the scamming seller might bring you some dough as well I won't really count on that but it's a possibility to consider.

At the end of the day you are doing the right thing trying to help the police put a thief away that will bring in some good karma for sure , trust me it will roll in when it least expected just be thankful & stay positive no matter what .

#141 ·
Yeah I may be giving him up and not having him anymore. But I am doing the right thing for the right reasons. Maybe putting away ONE bike thief can help others whose bikes have been stolen from them. This bike in the almost 4 months I've had it, has become a part of me a part of my life. Almost family. It was my baby. Today I took him for a HARD ride up woodside down 35 to 1 from 1 in pescadero to 1 In pacifica then back. Then I met up with spiritofkaos1 GOOD GUY! He bought me lunch. Went home for a break, and we just did a night ride ( i got a little squirrely cause I was squided out with tennis shoes) but I had a great last day with my bike. I named him Noble6. I may be losing him, but maybe my lose can help others learn from my mistakes, as I know I have and will. Hopefully it does bring mew some good Karma, cause I def need it. I put 100 octane in him for the first time, have 1 bar left. At 10 pm tonight were heading to the mall to go pickup Halo 4. Our final trip will be the ride to CHP offices. But i'm bringing him to them with ONE BAR of gas or less lol. Thanks for everything MoeMan and everyone else. I will still be posting on here. I will also be updating either in this thread or I will start another. Most likely here because I know a few of you have subscribed. So thank you all of you. Especially to SuSuCBR MoeMan and SpiritedKaos1. you guys really helped me out a ton and I will never forget it. I will still be on the forum. Thanks everyone for the funnest 4 months of my life, honestly.

#129 ·
^yea definitely, doing the right thing always works out

i dont believe in a lot of things, but i do believe that everything happens for a reason, and that theres always something good coming soon, just gotta be on the lookout for it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.