Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How to: headphones in helmet

18K views 74 replies 30 participants last post by  my04600 
#1 · (Edited)
What you'll be needing.
-helmet(duh)
-skullcandy Icon2 headphones( or any small enough sized headphone.
- velcro
- heavy duty cutters( for cutting plastic)
-patience

1.Start off by buying these headphones. Skullcandy Icon2 headphones. They have a good sound and button for iPods and iPhones.

2. Then go ahead and cut off the headband, and removing the casings on the headphones.

3. Cut off the extra plastic that is attached to the headphone.

4.Then attach the Velcro to the headphone and it should look like this.

Hopefully your helmet has a spot to put your headphone speakers. I know Shoei does.

5. Add the opposite Velcro siding from what you put on your headphones inside your helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
6. Then positioning the iPod/iPhone button is up to you. I used velcro again to hold the button. But I put mine in a hidden spot under my chin mesh. As seen in the photos below.

Then with all the wiring I hid it all behind the padding.

Any questions or pictures I should add, let me know.

P.S I tested the mic using my iPhone 4, works amazing! The callers can here me fine at 100kms/h. If you have Siri. It works great, with no problems.

#3 ·
I have done this mod with Shoei helmets. The Qwest and RF1100

#5 ·
I got a few from eBay. Skullcandy no longer makes them.

#7 · (Edited)
With ear plugs they aren't designed for sound outside of the ear. You need "on ear" headphones.
The volume is great. I have to keep the volume one notch down because its too loud when it's at MAX volume using my iPhone 4.

#10 ·
I don't here Any wind noise at all.

#12 ·
Well I gave in! I just got a shoei x11 and I tried to ride with my iPhone headphones in and they just refused to stay in.. So I bought a set of those skull candy icon2s and am going to do this!
JWRusk how long did it take for you to get them after you ordered them?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#13 ·
I ordered them off eBay. But the headphones were located where I live, so I got them the next day.

#14 ·
If anyone needs a pair, i have 2 available to sell. Ones pink, and the other black.

#15 ·
PM'd

10(char)

#17 ·
Yah I just run the wire into my jacket. Or if I have my vest on, just to my pocket in my pants.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Motorcycle.com App

#19 ·
The wire goes to at least my waist

#20 ·
My home boy has a Bluetooth for his music. It rest on the back of his neck and wraps around kinda like a collar and has two small ear buds that come off it. Phone calls come in clean too while he's riding. He got it at a Sprint store. I can ask him for a model number or name of it if anyone wants.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 ·
They are lg Bluetooth sport buds and they kick ass IMO .. I can tuck the whole shabang into my helmet and control calls music and even voice txt while riding down the road. I have to put the buds in reverse but when I do it alloes the conteols to be flipped. Can operate it all without removing my gloves.

#32 ·
I dont have any issues with them falling out lol just set them in and pull my helmet down? IDK....
Ya, if you get the ones that are low profile on the outer side, they usually stay in without issue. If you're having problems keeping them in, you probably need to swap the pad on the plug. Also, keep in mind that your ear canals are probably different sizes, so you may need different sized pads.

The ear tug method is a good one. Just pull down on your ear a bit, insert the bud and release. This should "lock" them in place.

I have a sony pendant bluetooth headset that I wired into my helmet but I really want to swap the buds for speakers. I am just having a hard time finding a decent enough walkthrough to take the plunge. I imagine it's as simple as cutting and splicing wires, but want to be sure before I ruin my $60 bluetooth headset..

#22 ·
Yah I've been looking for others as well but have no luck.

#26 ·
I don't ride with music anymore but I used to have the Cardo Systems Scala Rider FM This connects to the bluetooth of your phone and has an audio plug to listen to your music. I have a Jailbroken iPhone so installed "mono bluetooth" on it, enabeling it to stream music over bluetooth so i didn't need the cable anymore. some pro's about this setup:
- You can listen to music on your mp3 player (or iphone / discman / walkman / minidisc if you're oldschool)
- You can make phonecalls (dial and pick up with voice commands) this actually works surprisingly well, I have had conversations while riding 80+, the music also cuts out when you are "in call" and starts again when you hang up
- the best feature is that it automatically adjust the volume to outside noise, so the volume goes up when you rev the engine/there are a lot of loud cars around/you are going fast on the freeway
- oh and it comes with on ear speakers that already have velcro on it ;)

just my 2 cents...
i have mine lying around somewhere should put it up for sale i guess

#29 ·
What you'll be needing.
-helmet(duh)
-skullcandy Icon2 headphones( or any small enough sized headphone.
- velcro
- heavy duty cutters( for cutting plastic)
-patience

1.Start off by buying these headphones. Skullcandy Icon2 headphones. They have a good sound and button for iPods and iPhones.

2. Then go ahead and cut off the headband, and removing the casings on the headphones.

3. Cut off the extra plastic that is attached to the headphone.

4.Then attach the Velcro to the headphone and it should look like this.

Hopefully your helmet has a spot to put your headphone speakers. I know Shoei does.

5. Add the opposite Velcro siding from what you put on your headphones inside your helmet.

Was it hard to get all the excess plastic off of them without damaging them? I feel like I'm gunna end up chopping my finger off or something haha! My cutters are sharp but they have a rounded tip so it's hard to pry it up to get enough to cut!

#30 ·
If you guys are having problems with low volume, I suggest getting a headphone amplifier.

A cheap and good one would be the Fiio e6.

That's what I used in my diy.

#34 ·
Mine is perfectly fine. In the helmet where your ears are.... Is there an indent where the earphones can sit? If not. That's probably why.

#36 ·
Whaatttt. Sorry to hear that. They were skull candys?

#37 ·
Yeah they were the icon2s just like you bought! Idk I guess the pressure from me putting my helmet on and off messed something up inside one of the headphones! I had finally gotten it into a comfortable spot too.....:( I don't wanna order another pair in case it happens again but I just can't stand using my iPhone headphones... What else is a cheap alternative to like a chatterbox or scala rider thing?

#38 ·
I have pink ones for sale haha.

#47 ·
Oh definitely. Once i figured out how my ear needed to be positioned in the helmet I moved the headphones around a bit too. I put enough Velcro inside the helmet to be able to comfortably move the headphones around. And i also velcroed the mic to the front of the helmet. So it's nicely positioned and easy for me to press the Stop/Play button with gloves on and without looking.

Definitely a very resourceful and great idea!

#49 ·
Seems like a good idea. You should give it a try and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.