Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

MOTYdesign 8 Cell Battery Review: NEW MODEL!!!

16K views 86 replies 30 participants last post by  nastygear7 
#1 ·
Product: MOTYdesign 8cell Battery

This battery gets a big thumbs up. Its a great product, and a step up from MOTYdesign's previous battery.

My initial rating of this product is 10 out of 10. I will be updating this review in the spring when I can use my bike and the battery more, and then I will update this review again after a few Trackdays.

-Why I decided to purchace the product?
As a avid street rider and track day rider I want to maximize the performance of my bike. I bought this battery mainly because it is way lighter than the stock battery, but also because it is superior other aspects too.

-Where did I buy it from?
Bought the battery from MOTYdesign.com... AKA BrowningBuck (member)... AKA Brian.

-Price
The price is $150, but you cant buy them yet from Brian's site motydesign.com. You have to email him at bharris@motydesign.com. If I were you I would jump on it too. Since this is a new model, and his battery is about to be featured in Sport Rider Magazine

-Did the product meet my expectations? How/Why?
The battery met and exceeded my expectations. the post bolts are long enough to attach multiple accessories such as a PCV and Autotune (as seen in my pics below). The plastic housing will be much more durable than his older shrink wrap system (way less prone to puncture and moisture). The battery has an external plug (as seen in one pic) that allows you to balance charge the battery ensuring equal voltage across the all cells. (This battery is designed to never fall out of balance) The battery is well labelled too. (has MOTYdesign's logo, a ''do not dispose of in garbage'' symbol, and a made in the USA label)

-Would you recommend the product to others?
MOST DEFINITELY! Rest assured I will be taking my seat off at my next track day to make other riders green with envy. Weight savings is a great thing! I would definitely recommend his tirewarmers too (ill post a pic of those in here soon).

-Would you buy it again?
Hells ya! I had one of Brians older batteries and sold it to a friend so that I would be able to get this newer model.

Here are some specs about the battery:
Dimensions (L x W x H) = 10.5cm x 5cm x 7cm / 4.13" x 1.96" x 2.75" (you can see my comparison to the playing card - an what better card than the Ace of Spades)

Rating = 4.6Ah

Cold Cranking Amps = 240 CCA

Optimal Temp Range = We all know that coldweather isn't good for batteries; the optimal range for this battery is from 40'F to anything the bike/weather can throw at it (asside from fire). To test this battery when I received it the other day I rolled my bike out of the house and into my garage and let the bole cool down for 2 hours to below freezing temps, -6'C or about 21'F, and started the bike up. it cranked the frozen engine over no problem and it started right up as expected. If you are doing a cold start like this it is best to turn the bike on with a headlight on for about 30 seconds before cranking the bike over. (it bumps up the internal resistance of the battery)

The expected life of this battery is about 4 times longer than the traditional lead battery that comes OEM.

I don't know the specific weight of this battery versus stock because I don't have a scale to measure, but it is about 1/6th the weight and about 1/3rd the size.

On to some pics now:

See less See more
Reactions: Xer0_XIII
#7 ·
v-tec..... thank you for the review! very generous of you to take the time and write this up!

Azn- the plug is used for maintenance. it is used with special chargers that balance the voltage across each cell. this is needed for people running total loss systems

Slaps- not here selling any thing at the moment so you would have to contact me directly ;) .

#9 ·
It's amazing how small that is. I'm going to tell myself that I don't need it because I don't do a whole lot of track days and because I'm 130 pounds (so I don't need the weight savings) :p

#11 ·
Lol you need it dude... Your friends will ask you "how much does your bike weigh?"

Would you rather say 400lbs or 393 lbs????

Power to weight ratio my friend - power.....to.....weight!!!

#17 ·
Low maintenance is an understatement.... No battery tendor is needed for winter storage. Just disconnect from the bike and store the battery in a warm dry place.

Done

#18 · (Edited)
people said that storing in cold climate or a freezer will keep the battery life longer ? can you comment on this ?

can you comment on how well do you think this battery can hold up.... against the stator recharging the battery ? it is said you need a special charger to charge this battery and a battery tender will not be as good... whats your take on this ?

#19 ·
Brian will have to chime in here as I am not fully educated on his battery.

I can assure you there is no issue with the stator charging the battery as this would be part of regular use and Brian has design the battery for exactly that.

Try sending Brian a PM with any of your questions, if he doesn't reply here soon.

If I got any info wrong in my review Brian will let me know and I will correct any error.

#20 ·
I actually like his new design with a case.. better then the old shrink wrapp version lol... this looks more classy. now I may have to give this battery a shot....

Brian.. if I order the battery on your website.. will I be getting this version ? or the shrink wrap version ? Thanks.

#28 · (Edited)
Received my battery today and... WOW!! This thing is unbelievably small and light. The new models casing is also incredibly professional looking. The only thing i've noticed is that my + and - are reversed from what v-tec received, but I doubt that has any meaning?

These are all first impressions as I have just finished installing it. Initial start straight out of the packaging was strong and immediate! It gives you a lot more space in the battery tray. Still toying with how to secure it slightly better. I used the supplied neoprene pad as well as the old pad from stock battery and it is somewhat snug with the stock battery strap -- however, I would like to get it a bit more tight to reduce any vibrations or movement.

Here is a really crappy picture of it in my hand (for size reference) when I opened it

I also wanted to add that Brian's customer service has been BAR NONE so far. After speaking with him in personal email at least two days prior, I ordered directly on his site and within minutes received an email back from our personal email letting me know that he got my order and would be shipping it out ASAP. That was Wednesday, and today Saturday I have my brand new battery installed. Kudos to Brian and MOTY Design! Highly recommended and will be getting other friends hooked soon muahaha

#29 ·
sorry we didnt ask polarity on the battery, they are selectable, but we sent the correct one for a RR. actually either model will work, but it was the one the was best for the RR. Vtec didnt get a choice when he ordered.

#30 ·
Not a problem at all Brian, I wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning or not but now I think it was because I didn't know you offered the option!

I thought it might of had something to do with that. I noticed that mine hooks up beautifully with the stock wires, where as it looks like v-tec had to attach from the opposite side, as well as the side. Not saying anything negative about that, just what I have observed. Brian's product and service is nothing but QUALITY. I am highly impressed, as is everyone I am telling about my new battery!

Now... where to rep the MOTY sticker?!

#37 ·
With the work they go through to cut weight when designing the bike, I would think it is only a matter of time before these batteries come stock. Lead/acid batteries is such horribly old technology. 8 pounds is a pretty significant amount of weight shaved with no engineering effort involved.

This might have to be my first bike purchase of the new year. Thanks for the nice review! :+1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.