Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

rear tire size?

11K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Niner1000RR 
#1 ·
I am wondering if I can put 190/55ZR17 on my 2009 CBR?

#5 ·
wanna try this again Paul judging by your response I think you may be:drunk:

#22 ·
You sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the taller tire changed your suspension geometry, taking away some of your rake angle, making the bike easier to steer?

Please tell me how the back tire makes the bike easier to turn in. Except for what I just mentioned?

#24 ·
The swap from a 180 to a 190 requires geometry changes afterwards. It will not help handing at all without changes and turn in speed as well as transitioning while countersteering is reduced if left untouched regardless of the reduced wheelbase. The rear shock generally ends up needing more compression, the forks can be lowered one to three millimeters and the front fork compression adjustment can be softened. A 190 is NOT going to have the same multi arc profile in a 5.5" rim, it's flexing the carcass to compensate its narrower width, and the added benefit is the vertical wall with increased contact patch, that's it. Your bike is not going to start turning in faster as the mid center carcass flex is not altered. Tuning the suspension should bring you to at least a position where it is equal to how your previous settings were using a 180, then and only after will you benefit in some way.

#27 ·
I've got 190 now and I have "chicken strips" my180 I was eating up the edges and I was getting worried that if the edges were that ate up, I looked at the amount ofcontact the tire had at that point and it wasn't much,so I went to 190 just to feel better on edge being there's more of a edge. Turn in and flicking didn't really notice much difference. I did it to trick myself :drunk:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#28 ·
On my race bike I run a 190/60. Stock is a 180/55 just like the CBR. But that bike is set up to run the bigger tire. On my CBR it gets the 180/55 Q2

On another note, you have to see what the tire is designed for. I run Dunlop GPAs currently. They do not make them in a 180, but the 190 GPA is designed for the smaller rim, unlike a Q2 190 which is designed for the bigger rim. The 200/55 Dunlop race tire is desinged for the bigger rim as well.

If the tire you are looking at is available in a 180, then more than likely that is the tire you want to run on your bike unless you are willing to make the changes to the geometry to run the bigger tire.

There is more to tire sizing than the numbers on the sidewall. You have to look at the profile of the tire as well. More than likely if you put a 190 on a 5.5 rim it will not handle the way it is designed to.

If you read tire information about the tire you are buying it will give you a range of rim sizes that the tire "will fit" but there is also a measurement called "measured rim size" (or similar), that is the size rim the tire is designed for. That is the number you want to match to your rim size. Running bigger tires will only score you some points at the local bike night parking lot, if that is what you are looking for and don't care how the bigger tire will hurt your handling, then go for it. If you want your bike to handle its best, go with the tire that is designed for your rim size/ what the bike is set up for (geometry wise).If you feel that you "need" the bigger tire, get the suspension geometry properly adjusted for the bigger tire.

#29 ·
i ran 190's on my 600 because i was getting them cheap! but like 1/4Mi said. the 190GPA is designed for the 5.5 so its a great tire to use if you want to.

i also ran some 180's on my 929(stock is a 190) because i had some take offs to get rid of. im of the opinion that chicket strips are whats for dinner unless your at the track.

#30 ·
I love these debates and people talking about how the bike turned faster or slower with this tire or that tire, on the STREET! LMAO

C'mon... unless you're SERIOUSLY riding the bike to the point where you've recorded you geometry, tire pressures, etc... so that you could compare the changes.

Changing rear tires even in the same size but in different model tires will alter the handling of the machine. You're talking about ride height changes, carcass changes, compound changes, etc... all of which affect the handling of the machine.

The US slick for example comes in a 200/55 and is 657mm in diameter. And works both on the 6" rim AND 5.5" rim, per Dunlops specifications.

Lets give an example as to why you need to know this info before trying to compare 2 different tires.

The Dunlop tire we use for Daytona is a 195/65 and is 656mm while Dunlop also make a 190/60 that is 657mm, which is taller than the tire with a higher size listing.

Dunlop has a BTQ02 that is a 190/55 that is 649mm and a 330235 in a 190/55 that is 647mm. Both the same size listing.

If you want to make a comparison between tires, make sure it's a real comparison.

Ride height, pressure and carcass are going to have a greater affect on the turn in than the width of the tire. And if you changed the front too, well... forget it! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.