Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

CBR600RRA Build Thread

288K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Purchased new from Honda in late 2011 the bike arrived in HRC colours with no more than the pre-delivery inspection miles on the clock in completely standard trim with no aftermarket parts fitted. Since then the CBR has had a raft of different modifications made to it; some being simply aesthetic and but most for outright performance on track. The intent has always been to build the CBR to UK Superstock specification for both road and track use. In its current form and specification the CBR is pretty much race ready and all the major performance parts have now been added.

Road:

Track:

To navigate through the many posts simply click on a modification listed below to access the relevant page within the build thread. The majority of modifications are listed and there is a wealth of other information and pictures on how the CBR has evolved. Hopefully, this thread will prove useful and interesting to some and I will continue to update the thread in the future.

Modification List:

Engine and Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Bodywork
Misc.

See less See more
#226 ·
Modifications

Tsubaki chains are used fairly extensively in BSB and the superstock classes here in the UK and they are pretty good and very reliable. I hope to finish the extra Bridgestone tyre detailing this weekend when I get a bit of free time. I will make sure I post up some pictures when completed.

#232 ·
Honda Racing Wheel Stripes - CBR600RR Modification Thread

After a trip to my local Honda dealer today I found these reduced in the bargain bucket so I thought I would give them a go.

I've been debating on putting wheel stripes on the CBR for months. This is a red set complete with Honda Racing decals so hopefully once fitted they will subtly match the OEM paint scheme and Bridgestone tyre detailing.

Honda Part No: 08F84-MFJ-820A

#234 ·
Dynojet Results

My tuner spent just over 5 hours doing the mapping for my CBR. He's extremely experienced and used to do the mapping for the Kawasaki WSBK team with PB Motorsport so I'm pretty sure he applied some of the tricks of the trade to get it to where it is now. I know what you mean about the transition between open and closed throttle and the abruptness though. When he had finished the smoothness of the throttle response was so much better and the snatchiness at lower revs had ceased. He did mention that he did a lot of work with the Air-Fuel ratio as that seemed to be where most of the issues for my CBR arose as it was running so lean. The next time I'm at my Dyno Centre I will have a chat with him and see what info I can prise out of him and let you know.

This post has been deleted
#237 ·
Honda Racing Wheel Stripes

I spent all yesterday afternoon fitting the wheel stripes. I thoroughly cleaned the rims with degreaser and wiped everything down with an alcohol wipe prior to affixing the stripes. After gently heating the wheel rims to ensure good adhesion it was then just a case of taking my time individually applying each segment. I then finished off by applying the Honda Racing decals and here is the finished result:

I think they look really striking and match the OEM HRC paint scheme well. All in all I'm happy with the result.

#239 ·
Performance Modifications

Thanks. The aesthetic portion of the off season modifications are now pretty much complete; at least for the time being. Now it's just a case of waiting until the performance parts I have on order to arrive...

#240 ·
Update - CBR600RR Modification Thread

Here is an updated modification list:

• Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Chain Guard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Exhaust Guard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Heel Guards
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Rear Mudguard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Side Panels
  • Akrapovic Titanium Slip-on
  • ASV C5 Brake/Clutch Levers
  • Brembo SC Road/Track Brake Pads
  • Bridgestone S20
  • Datatag
  • Dynojet Mapping (110.5bhp/45.6Nm)
  • Dynojet O2 Eliminator
  • Dynojet Power Commander V
  • Gilles AXB Chain Adjusters
  • Gilles FX Rearsets
  • Healtech GIPRO DS Gear Indicator
  • Hel Performance Front/Rear Braided Brake Lines
  • HM RL Quickshifter
  • Honda Racing Carbon Fuel Cap Cover
  • Honda Racing Carbon Fuel Tank Trim
  • Honda Racing Carbon Meter Cover
  • Honda Racing Carbon Rear Cowl Trim
  • Honda Racing Carbon Tank Pad
  • Honda Racing Carbon Top Yoke Cover
  • Honda Racing OEM Seat Cowl
  • Honda Racing Wheel Stripes
  • HRC Fast Action Throttle & Cables
  • HRC Oil Filler Cap
  • HRC Oil Sump Bolt
  • HRC Rear Brake Reservoir
  • K&N Performance Air Filter
  • K&N Performance Oil Filter
  • R&G Aero Crash Protectors
  • R&G Cotton Reels
  • R&G FE
  • R&G Fork Protectors
  • R&G Frame Inserts
  • Renthal Hard Anodised Front/Rear Sprockets
  • Renthal Road Race Grips (120mm Medium Compound)
  • Stompgrips
  • Tsubaki Chain
  • Watsen Design Flushmount Indicators

#244 ·
Tail Tidy

Thanks for the offer. I had thought about it previously as they do look rather nice and clean up the rear of the bike well. I decided against it as I didn't really want to cut into the undertray. That and the fact my R&G one is pretty good, unbolts in a couple of minutes and is easily removed for trackdays which is more of a priority.

#245 ·
Carbon Fibre

Thanks. The carbon fibre parts, especially the front mudguard, look really good on the bike. All the main carbon pieces are made by Akrapovic and its a shame they no longer produce them. There are a few more carbon parts that I would like to add but all aesthetic changes are now on hold (including power coating the subframe) for the time being at least as I've just ordered some rather expensive performance parts.

#247 ·
Tyreart Marker

If I'm honest the result was a lot better than I had expected. However, when I added the Honda Racing wheel stripes that really did finish the whole thing off and I'm very happy with the end result. Everything blends in with the OEM paint scheme and now gives the CBR a bit more presence.

#251 ·
is it a box? LOL

#252 ·
Öhlins 30mm Front Fork Cartridge Kit - CBR600RR Modification Thread

Suspension setup is hugely important to me and whilst I've previously changed the fork springs to suit my body weight I still want more feedback from the front end primarily on track. With that in mind these arrived by courier earlier today:

This is my first big purchase of the winter. Originally my budget didn't quite stretch to a 30mm Cartridge Kit and I had planned to buy an Öhlins Front Fork Piston Kit (FPK) instead. After a bit of searching I found these with 20% off and a short phone call later they knocked a bit more off the asking price and made a an offer I couldn't really pass up. In the end they weren't that much more expensive than buying the FPK and standard Öhlins springs. When you open the box and take a closer look at the build quality of the components from the fork internals to the adjusters it is absolutely amazing. It is very easy to see why Öhlins are fitted to most of the race bikes in the WSBK and MotoGP paddocks.

I've also ordered Öhlins Front Fork Springs to suit the 30mm Cartridge Kit and they are on the way as is some Öhlins fork oil to ensure the front end is sprung to suit my body weight and riding style. Once everything has arrived I will be making the trip over to a friend at FTR Suspension, weather permitting, to help with the installation and set-up. The cartridge kit will be fairly easy to install and fits without modification to the original front fork. Interestingly compression damping and the adjustment is on the left leg and rebound damping and the adjustment is on the right leg so all adjustments are made at the top together with the spring preload.

This should offer a huge improvement to the front fork feel, performance and adjustability more akin to what I used to race with. Once installed it will not be until the weather has improved and I get the CBR back on track that I will really feel the full benefit. I will post up a few pictures once everything is fitted.

#253 ·
cools stuff bro, i installed one like that on a ZX10R with showa big piston forks, not an easy job, with standard cartridge forks it should be a hell of a lot easier, use 5W fork fluid of your choice, preferably fully synthetic, have fun with the install, i'm jealous, i still can't find nor afford a 25mm cartridge kit for my conventional fork.

#254 ·
great purchase!!!

you will enjoy them and make a hugeee difference.

install was pretty easy, i did them myself on my bike took a couple of hours but i did leave the forks to hang over night to drain them.

I have yet to play around with mine as on the current setting which FTR suggested for me and the air gap recommended in the manual the bike feels so planted.

you just need the rear to match now ;)

#255 ·
Wish I had this kind of time and money, keep it going

I thought I would start a build thread on the modifications I have made to date as I'm a new member to .net. I bought the bike new from Honda in late 2011 so have spent most of the cold UK winter months fettling in the garage. Most of my modifications have been aesthetic with some performance mods to aid track riding with many more planned over the coming months before the weather breaks.

To date I have fitted the following:

- Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust

Sounds awesome and adds a few extra BHP with a build quality that is second to none.

- Akrapovic Carbon Front Mudguard, Rear Hugger, Exhaust Guard, Heel Guards and Side Panels.

The carbon fibre products from Akrapovic are probably the highest quality I have ever seen and are well worth the extra money. The weave is consistent and the detailing and fit is to the same standard as OE parts; just much lighter.

- ASV Brake/Clutch Levers

Good range of adjustability and give good feel and control.

- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas

A solid road and track tyre. Highly recommended.

- R&G Tail Tidy
- R&G Cotton Reels
- R&G Frame Inserts

R&G Racing is a well known company here in the UK and supplies many of the top race teams with crash protection. Having been unfortunate enough to test the crash protectors last year having low-sided an R6 at Snetterton they work exceptionally well. So much so I won't ride a bike without them. I'm yet to fit the main crash protectors and whilst this involves drilling the lower fairing its a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Still to fit over the winter are the following:

- HRC Quick Action Throttle
- HRC Rear Reservoir Kit
- Watsen Design Flushmounts
- Stompgrips

I will endeavour to add more photos as soon as I find time.

#259 · (Edited)
Öhlins Suspension

Thanks. The RRP in the UK for the 30mm Front Fork Cartridge Kit is £1045.94. They do not come supplied with 08790-series springs specifically for the kit so I needed to purchase these as well and they are priced at £117.82. My total came to just over £800 as I got a better discount on both the cartridge kit and springs due to having an ACU Race Licence and it was an end of season deal.

An Öhlins TTX Mk II rear shock is planned to sort the rear end out but not until after Christmas. It will likely be a similar cost to the cartridge kit and springs with discount. As for BOTM I may enter the CBR again next year. Compared to the first time I entered it the modification list is a little bit more extensive than before and it's approaching superstock specification which is the plan.

#260 ·
Öhlins Front Fork Springs - CBR600RR Modification Thread

These arrived in the post today:

The Öhlins 30mm Front Fork Cartridge Kit is supplied without springs. The 08790‐series of springs are made specifically to match the kit and come in a variety of spring rates and the ones pictured above are the 0.9 version. Now that these have arrived I can get everything installed and set-up and then its just the long wait until the first trackday of the new season to get them properly tested and dialled in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.