Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

CBR600RRA Build Thread

288K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Purchased new from Honda in late 2011 the bike arrived in HRC colours with no more than the pre-delivery inspection miles on the clock in completely standard trim with no aftermarket parts fitted. Since then the CBR has had a raft of different modifications made to it; some being simply aesthetic and but most for outright performance on track. The intent has always been to build the CBR to UK Superstock specification for both road and track use. In its current form and specification the CBR is pretty much race ready and all the major performance parts have now been added.

Road:

Track:

To navigate through the many posts simply click on a modification listed below to access the relevant page within the build thread. The majority of modifications are listed and there is a wealth of other information and pictures on how the CBR has evolved. Hopefully, this thread will prove useful and interesting to some and I will continue to update the thread in the future.

Modification List:

Engine and Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Bodywork
Misc.

See less See more
#264 ·
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP, gomme italiano superiore :+1:

#266 · (Edited)
Bridgestone Tyres

Thanks for the positive comments. For road and track use I would go for the Bridgestone S20 and if its just for track use I would go for the Bridgestone R10. That's just my opinion as those two tyres work really well for me. Have a look at the following thread as well for a comprehensive overview of the latest tyres:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=289352

Finally, the "Tyres, Suspension & Handling" forum offers plenty of good advice and options. Be aware you will however find a raft of opinions from people recommending different tyres and their reasons why. Tyre choice is hugely subjective and will vary dependent on individual use.

#271 ·
Öhlins Suspension

This year hasn't been been too bad compared to last year having just bought the CBR at the end of the season. I've pretty much finished the planned upgrades now. All that remains is to find the time to fit the 30mm Cartridge Kit and wait for the rear shock to arrive.

#272 ·
R&G Carbon Chain Guard - CBR600RR Modification Thread

This arrived in the post today in preparation for next season:

With hindsight I should have fitted one of these earlier this year given the amount of trackdays I have been fortunate enough to do. I was required to fit a toe/chain guard for safety when I used to race and it makes sense to fit one now given the CBR spends half it's time on track. They are simple to fit to the underside of the swingarm in front of the rear sprocket by either strong adhesive or drilling. I've always attached them by adhesive as they can then be removed without trace if required. I will post up a picture once fitted.

#274 · (Edited)
This arrived in the post today in preparation for next season:

With hindsight I should have fitted one of these earlier this year given the amount of trackdays I have been fortunate enough to do. I was required to fit a toe/chain guard for safety when I used to race and it makes sense to fit one now given the CBR spends half it's time on track. They are simple to fit to the underside of the swingarm in front of the rear sprocket by either strong adhesive or drilling. I've always attached them by adhesive as they can then be removed without trace if required. I will post up a picture once fitted.

I sometimes out of curiosity wonder about the function of ccertain accessories. Can someone shed some light on the use or benefit of having a toe chain guard like the one above.

Ryan, I see you haven't bought the R&G bar end sliders. Do you not believe in the general concept of bar end sliders (which sometime I question myself) or are you holding back for another brand/model?

#285 ·
Öhlins Suspension

Looks like I may be waiting a little longer for my TTX Mk II rear shock as I have just been advised that there is a slight production delay at the Öhlins factory in Sweden. I can't really complain as FTR Suspension have been brilliant and given me a huge discount and it will be nice to have it arrive to start the new year off.

#290 ·
Bike looks brilliant mate which track you are thinking of Caldwell , silver stone , Donnigton you lads have some great tracks for sure some day will make the TT trip

#291 ·
Trackdays

Thanks. It's taken a year to get the CBR to where it is now and there is a bit more planned for the future. I'm booked in to go back to Snetterton in March. It's my local circuit and I know it extremely well having raced there a fair bit. The photo below was taken at the exit of T11.

#292 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ry have you thought about having the ECU altered to help with the throttle issue?
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=268327

Good choice with your paint scheme. The paint schemes the US gets are so bland people tend to want to pump the color up a bit with different colored lines.

Correct. It's just refreshing to look at his lean angle indicator compared to some of the bikes on here :ponder:

#293 ·
Modifications

I've never given any thought to this nor had any interest to ever do it for two reasons. The first is the Power Commander V has addressed the fuelling issue I had whilst at the same time providing a healthy increase in power and torque across the rev range. The second, and perhaps far more important reason, is I prefer to retain my Honda Warranty and have no desire to alter the ECU in any way.

#295 ·
Honda Warranty

It depends on what modifications you make and if they are reversible. Im also quite shrewd when it comes to modifying and generally will not fit anything that I can not remove and return to 'stock' OEM condition. I also keep all the OEM parts that I remove should I ever need to return the CBR back to standard. I have both a Honda warranty and also a dealer warranty which is pretty good should anything go wrong. That said I have owned several CBRs over the years, all from the same dealer, and not once have I ever been required to make a warranty claim.

#296 · (Edited)
GB Racing Engine Covers - CBR600RR Modification Thread

Earlier in December* I contacted GB Racing directly to query whether or not their engine covers would fit under the additional middle fairings found on the 09-12 model CBR600RR. They confirmed that they did indeed fit so my wife kindly ordered a set for me for Christmas. I'm a firm believer in crash protection as over the years it has saved me a fair bit of money. This is the first time I have used GB Racing kit before and it's becoming more and more popular in race paddocks at all levels. The quality and finish is fantastic and this set will compliment the existing R&G crash protection I already have on the CBR.

The pictures below show the 'stock' engine cover set and it includes the following:

GB Racing Clutch Cover

GB Racing Stock Alternator Cover

GB Racing Pulse Cover

The kit is incredibly easy to fit once you have removed the fairings. I will try and get the set fitted over the festive period and I will post up pictures of the engine covers fitted prior to putting the fairings back on.

GB Racing Set Part No. EC-CBR600-2008-SET-GBR

*http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294516

#298 ·
Rizoma Proguard - CBR600RR Modification Thread

My wife decided to buy me one of these as a Christmas present having witnessed a few pit lane incidents at trackdays and at race weekends where people have inadvertently knocked brake levers causing minor accidents and some very expensive damage. They are not designed to protect the brake lever in the event of an 'off' but rather protect against someone unintentionally knocking the lever causing the front wheel to lock. They are also now a common safety feature in most racing classes and WSBK have now adopted brake lever guards as standard for the 2013 season. If it makes me a little safer on track I'm certainly not complaining and what's more in my opinion they look pretty good. I have never owned any Rizoma products before but the build quality and finish is superb. This particular version required an additional adapter which replaces the existing OEM bar end to secure it.

Rizoma Proguard Brake Lever Protector:

Rizoma Proguard Adapter:

Part numbers for those interested are below and I will post up a few photos of the proguard once fitted to the CBR from different angles.

Proguard Brake Part No: LP011B
Proguard Adapter Part No: LP200B

#300 ·
Puig Clear Double Bubble Screen - CBR600RR Modification Thread

This arrived via reindeer and sleigh a couple of days ago:

I have wanted to try a double bubble screen on the CBR for a while. This will be predominantly for track use but it will also be useful on the road as the standard OEM screen is quite low. I also opted for a clear one as this upgrade is more for function rather than form. I will post up before and after photos for comparison shortly once I've fitted it to the CBR.

#312 ·
This arrived via reindeer and sleigh a couple of days ago:

I have wanted to try a double bubble screen on the CBR for a while. This will be predominantly for track use but it will also be useful on the road as the standard OEM screen is quite low. I also opted for a clear one as this upgrade is more for function rather than form. I will post up before and after photos for comparison shortly once I've fitted it to the CBR.

i have the same screen in light smoked, love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.