Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

video mirrors? backup/rear video? does it really exist?

4K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  mbv 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I spent a lot of time trying to find a way to look behind me. With my current mirrors I just see my arms, shoulders and a little on the sides. But, I just can not see anything behind me. I am sure a lot of you guys have the same problem, and most of you will suggest just to turn my head, but that is not the point of this thread.

I tried to look into some camera solutions. I saw this person with monitors in the actual mirrors, I think that is a good solution IMHO, but are they for sale anywhere? Here is the link:

I also thought I could place a wide angle camera + a car mirror, but I think that will just look very ugly. Also, most screens are kind of square shaped and will probably end up with a very small image.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your comments!

mbv

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen people use back-up cameras. I'm considering doing something like that, too, because I just hate the bug-look of the mirrors.

#7 ·
Thanks for your reply, if you have any kit in mind, that will be nice to know about

Reeve helmet!!! U can see everything in the back. I have one n cant ride without it. Reevu.com
I saw the helmet, looks like a very nice solution, but it is somewhere around $300~$500 (and in my case, I have to add $60 for shipping + 30% of all that for importation taxes). It goes totally off budget.

I believe the Honda Pilot does the same thing with the screen in the rearview mirror. Maybe there is a kit you can buy to add it to the mirrors because the one in the video looks custom to me
Yes, they look custom made, but I will contact the member and see if he can point me in the right direction, I will let you know how that goes!

Wow, I was not aware or that, I will absolutely contact him in a minute!! thanks for the info!!

#6 ·
Nice response T! :thumbup:

#9 · (Edited)
It just sounds like a ton of money uselessly spent...

The only reason we have mirrors on our cars is because we have blind spots. When you turn your head there are still obstructions in our way to fully see what's behind or on the side of us. We do not have that issue or blind spots on our bikes. A simple turn of the head shows everything we have nothing obstructing our vision where we are trying to look like when in a cager.

And wtf do we need a backup mirror on our bikes for..? I think I've backed up a total of 15ft on my bike the rest I either stand spin or just push it off the bike.

#13 ·
Well, I must be doing something wrong :study: Or I have explained myself incorrectly. I want to look what is behind me (when I am driving), and when I turn my head I just do not see what is behind, just a little on the sides.

Of course, some needs depend on the place/city you are driving. :fiddy:

About the price, I prefer to spend $250 on the camera + monitor if I can afford to do so, than to have a truck on top of me...

About the backup, it is not really to backup, it is to use as a "mirror".

Any thoughts are most welcome on how to see behind.

#31 ·
I have to disagree with some of this. With all the crap people do to their bikes on this site, that have NOTHING to do with performance or functionality, I'd say that any mod the owner of the bikes wants to do isn't a waste of money.

I also think that mirrors are VERY important on a bike. I'm always aware of what's going on around and behind me. I'm not willing to take my eyes off of the road long enough to have to turn around to see what's back there. A quick look in the mirror and I'm on my way safely. Having a rear view cam picture in the mirror would ROCK.

I tried the Reevu helmet and didn't like the headlights at night. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it but I'll stick with my X-12 Shoei.

#14 ·
What is behind you that you need to see tho..?

Nothing's coming at you from behind and if it is your pretty SOL if its a cager there is nothing you can do and if your focusing on what behind you your not paying attention to what's coming head on...

That's another reason why I ditched the mirrors I realized I was watching what was behind me so often I wasn't paying attention to the road sometimes... That's more dangerous than that ice and a ofe time driver that "might" big might run into you.. But again don't be so worrie what's behind you when your responsibility as a driver is what's ahead of you.. And again if your at a light and a cagers coming right at you by the time you see it your SOL to begin with...

And if its about while your riding you could take evasive action just for a tailgater and go down over reacting or cause another accident because your worried about what's behind an out if yor control than in front of you.

It's your money and your ride I'm just saying what are you realistically going to accomplish with being able to see what's behind you on your ride..

I've never avoided anything when radiating my mirrors not missed anything and risked anything not looking. I'm just saying $250 worth of new lights reflectors and a riding best will do a hell of a lot more for safty than a mirror if that's our concern.

#17 ·
CK_32: I appreciate your point of view, but as mentioned before, your needs depend on where/how/etc you are driving. Just for everyone's information, I am not located in the US, I am in a "small" (again, it depends on your point of view) city with a little more than 2 million people. But the driving conditions require you to look at what is behind you all the time.

There are so many reasons to look at what is behind you! Most of them may be illegal in the US, and probably here too, but the fact is that there is still people who will do stupid (really stupid) things all over the planet.

Just as a example, I am sure I am not the only one who found themselves challenged by a sport car... from behind!!!
Or someone who is turning his lights on you to pass; even if you are going fast, some people drive even faster...
Not to mention the local government vehicles (large SUVs) who do not care much if they hit a car/bike, they are "the government", you should magically know they were driving at 2000 miles per hour because they are involved in a "national matter" situation (like the president breakfast or soccer game that is delayed).

I have a lot of funny/not so funny situations :)

But we are getting off topic.

I really need/want to see what is behind me, so any input on that will be greatly appreciated

;)

#18 ·
Ok well in that case if you HAVE to have a rear camera why don't you just buy a hero 3 when the fix the iPhone view screen app and buy a iPhone mount on your tank and the to pro under the tail on the tail where every you please

That was you have mirrors to go with the screen instead of fighting the reflection of the mirror and the picture from the in mirror screen.. And you can move locations if one doesn't work.. And it doubles for a track day or what ever use you have for a gopro.

And your looking at $350 and be done with it.

No custom work and special nonsense needed. Just plug and play.

#24 ·
Nuttynu, CK_32: Thanks for your point of view, but I really think this is as dangerous as looking at the right mirror on a car. It will probably take the same amount of time, and you only do that as required for driving reasons.

Texting is a different story, you are having your hands in a different place, looking to point your finger in the right position, getting feedback on the screen, and then finding for the next letter; and probably not doing one letter at the time.

Does anyone else feels like me? or like Nuttynu, and CK_32?
It will be great to have everyone's opinion.

#26 ·

this was my screen set-up, camera was fixed onto the tail tidy above the number plate.

vibration with the camera was an issue at first but some foam behind the camera & a more secure fixing sorted that. glare was about the same as the sun hitting your mirrors

I used a cheap set-up from ebay, I've always said a more expensive kit would probably make it just as good as mirrors though, but I didn't want to spend 200-300

Edit: ah $hit, sorry the pic is rotated

#29 ·
Hi,
swan-rr5:
Thanks for the pic, I also look into 4kam site, I was not so keen on that.
I like the size of the display and the location, what display did you used? Maybe you still have the ebay link? What about the camera?
Any info will be much appreciated

DAMNitzHENRY:
Thanks for the info, that will not work for me as I really need to have real time on the display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.