Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2005 CBR600RR - Track Build

46K views 249 replies 33 participants last post by  mckain87 
#1 ·
I've been riding street for two seasons now and finally decided to get a dedicated track bike.
I've always been a fan of the CBR600RR, it was actually my first bike of choice until I came across the 750 I currently own.

After months of searching, I came across a deal that was too good to be pass on, picked up the same week:

The bike was very close to stock with the exception of Armour Bodies bodywork, Galfer SS lines and an Ohlins piston kit.
The previous owner gave me a receipt and apparently there's a Vortex Racing stay, but I think it's OEM, so I'm not sure.

Anyways, I really wasn't digging the colour so the next day I stripped the body work off and sent it for paint...

While the bodywork was off the bike, I ordered some track goodies...

-Full Yoshimura RS-5 Exhaust
-Vortex Rearsets
-Driven Sprockets with DID ERV3 Chain and Probolt sprocket nuts
-TechSpecs
-Canyon Dancer II and some heavy duty straps

That was the first batch any ways...
(more to come)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Next, it was the Renthal grips and Vortex rearsets...

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Then I ordered some more parts:

Elka Stage 4 Shock:

Rear reservoir delete with Tygon hose and Honda Cap...
Free Evotec Reservoir with the purchase of a Brembo RCS... Can't go wrong.
I decided to put the EvoTech Reservoir on my street bike and put a 15cc Brembo reservoir with a ladybird bracket on the RR.

#6 ·
Sweet build!

Nice set of goodies this thing should rip once you get the suspension dialed. Also, I would recommend a dyno tune and possibly a quickshifter to compliment everything you have there. Last thing I would recommend is maybe some Galfer/Braking/Brembo rotors if budget allows.

This bike is going to be tits on the track.

#7 · (Edited)
You just made my day bro, lol.
Yes, the Elka came valved and sprung for my weight, got a killer deal on it... brand new from Elka directly.
And the forks were set up for the previous owner and he weighed about the same as I do.
I'll still have John Sharrard (R&D for Elka) go over everything to make sure it's well set up.
Not sure if I will get a custom map or an auto tune.
The quickshifter is a bonus but I can do without it, for now.

The rims and the swingarm were just finished yesterday, I have to stop by his shop tomorrow with some new rubbers and 90 degree valve stems...

Rear res delete... :) still needs to be mounted properly though.

Everything is pretty much done, once I drop the tires off and button up the bodywork, it's all ready for the track...

Some white decals are already on order and should arrive in a week or two.

BTW... For anyone in the Toronto Area and looking to get any powder coating / anodizing done, JOHNNYP636 from Stunters INC is your man, if you need his contact, PM me.

#8 ·
Man you've gone this far, might as well get the quickshifter! LOL

On a serious note, skip the autotune and have a knowledgeable guy (preferably someone that has been doing this for years and has tuned MANY local racer's bikes) set up your bike with a custom man. You won't need the autotune if you go this route but the ignition module can only help since they control the secondary injectors too (I think... 75% sure). Regardless do your research on that part.

You have a great bike and have addressed all the major track needs for the time being.

Slipper clutch
Quickshifter
Custom Dyno tune
Aftermarket wheels
Aftermarket rotors

Are the only things left to make this bike perfect. Regardless, I would love to take this thing for a rip, it's a BEAST!

#9 ·
Just scrolled and realized you don't have much protecting your track goods

Woodcraft:

Clip-ons
Case covers (clutch and engine)
Frame sliders (I would only change these after you make use of the others; hopefully you don't have to)
R&G crash kit (fork and swingarm sliders

^I would do these before any other parts. I.E quickshifter.

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for all the compliments, half the fun is putting the bike together and having it done the way I prefer...

@Makct04, in all honesty I thought the vortex sliders were enough but I might invest in the case covers and axle sliders, good looking out!

@infinate719, when I was looking at CBR's I was only looking for the red and black color scheme, hence the reason behind the red/black track skins.

I'll keep updating this thread and post more pics for your enjoyment!
If you guys have any input, it would be greatly appreciated...

Now, the only issue I have with the bike so far is the Brembo adjuster hits the dash when the bars are turned all the way to the left.
I guess it's true that I won't need to go lock to lock on the track but I'm picky like that.
Might order a set of woodcraft split clamp clip ons and hope that would give me more room on the bars to move things around a little.

Will definitely keep you guys posted...
Cheers!

#20 ·
Now, the only issue I have with the bike so far is the Brembo adjuster hits the dash when the bars are turned all the way to the left.
I guess it's true that I won't need to go lock to lock on the track but I'm picky like that.
Might order a set of woodcraft split clamp clip ons and hope that would give me more room on the bars to move things around a little.

Will definitely keep you guys posted...
Cheers!
I don't know if the Brembo came with a cable so you can set the adjuster to the left clip-on. I know a buddy of mine has done that on his 05/06 RR and loves it because he can adjust it as needed going down the front straight without being off the throttle. I personally have never tried it so I don't know how I feel about that until I do but the theory behind it works for me. Again this is just a suggestion.

As for 'crash protection'... IMO you can never have enough. I am a little bias because I love me some woodcraft parts and they are local to me so I support them. Also, Nick and others there provide excellent service to their customers. Having said that, the local club racers are starting to put crash guards on the end of their clip-ons (help prevent the brake/clutch levers to be caught in the event of a slide). It is quite expensive for a set of bars but it's better than having a totaled bike IMO.

^Example of what it looks like.

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
does your RCS adjuster knob hit the side of the gauge when you turn it full left?

anyway great work, i know a lot of effort was put into it, did you rebuild the motor as well?

#28 ·
^ LOL... that sir, does not belong to me.

Yeah, the RCS adjuster does hit the side of the gauge cluster, I ordered a set of Woodcraft clip ons, I'm hoping that would fix the issue.

No, the motor is stock and I plan on keeping it that way.
Built motors require a lot more maintenance and this is just a track day bike, not a race bike... so it's not really a necessity.

Thank you guys for all the compliments!

A slipper clutch will definitely be my next mod.

#33 · (Edited)
Maybe try this option if you don't get enough clearance?

BTW I'm still jelly of this build. Wish I had the funds/time/motivation to this to my RR. :crackup:
We'll see what happens when I get the clip ons on there.
I'll take into consideration, though. Thanks again for all your insight and help!

3K miles is still near mint, lucky you.

since you're going to use it solely for track purpose you should try putting stoppers on your steering to minimize its movement, you won't be making u-turns at the track. i'll probably be putting the same in my bike if i stop being lazy LOL
I will also look into this a bit further.

My next upgrade will definitely be a slipper clutch, my GSX-R comes with one from the factory and I really like it.
Especially knowing I can bang down a couple of gears without locking the wheel.

The question is, Yoyodyne or STM?

#34 ·
We'll see what happens when I get the clip ons on there.
I'll take into consideration, though. Thanks again for all your insight and help!

I will also look into this a bit further.

My next upgrade will definitely be a slipper clutch, my GSX-R comes with one from the factory and I really like it.
Especially knowing I can bang down a couple of gears without locking the wheel.

The question is, Yoyodyne or STM?
i have been tracking for a long long time now & i have grown accustomed to the stock clutch when downshifting rapidly, just takes lots of practice but it's worth it, the feeling of accomplishment is so high when you do it right especially when you outbrake someone with a slipper clutch. :crackup:

if i had the money i'd get STM because it's tunable, you can replace the diaphragm spring to set the slippage to what you really want.

but for the meantime i suggest you use the money for the slipper clutch for something else more important like tires & trackdays, i don't have a slipper clutch yet but maybe next year if i can save enough money after i pay for my track membership, tires & other spare parts.

Reactions: Mina
#37 ·
don't bother, just leave it the way it is, if you can add a secondary radiator like an HRC or similar it won't get hot enough for the fan to activate, i'm even thinking of getting rid of the fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.